The XL Center looks awful on TV | Page 4 | The Boneyard

The XL Center looks awful on TV

Reaction Score
I love spending $10 for a hot dog and soda

Reaction Score
Same actually I’m 6’3 and I just stopped buying anything other than standing room. I just wander the park. There are so many good vantage points there that there’s no point in wasting the extra money on a seat I can’t fit into.
If you get a nice usher around the SRO area behind the grandstands sometimes you can snag a handicap folding chair if any are open. That’s my fav move if I can’t get loge or club

Reaction Score
There is also a strong case to be made for the arena contributing sales and other taxes to state coffers, Ritter said. The venue also is key to downtown Hartford’s revitalization, adding hotel bookings, restaurant business and parking revenue to the surrounding area, he said.

Ever notice that there never are any hard numbers associated with argument when it get trotted out?

It’s like when town governments tell you that bringing new businesses to town will lower your mil rate. It never happens in reality. The more business and infrastructure the higher the mil rate. Lamont literally came out yesterday with an open letter to CT saying that the fixed costs CT has are “like a mortgage” and nothing can be done about it.
That’s pure BS. At the end of the day state employee pensions and other benefits need to be cut back to on par with industry. This state needs to stop kicking the can down the road. You can’t convince me that building a new arena in Hartford is going to make money for the city, but if you think you can then show me the numbers to prove it.

Reaction Score
it really is surprising they won a hosting gig. although the prov civic center did a few years ago too.
how will they handle weekday parking better than the last time XL hosted?

Reaction Score
This is a hot take and also a little bit exaggerated. You can literally get up out of your seat during a time out and go to the bathroom and be back in your seat before play begins
Most of us can; perhaps not so true for Monday night’s fans, AAC Guru, and a few old guys at men’s games. ;)

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
There is also a strong case to be made for the arena contributing sales and other taxes to state coffers, Ritter said. The venue also is key to downtown Hartford’s revitalization, adding hotel bookings, restaurant business and parking revenue to the surrounding area, he said.

Ever notice that there never are any hard numbers associated with this argument when it gets trotted out?

I don't have a dog in this fight really, as a non resident. But the reality is that both Worcester and Providence have no issue maintaining a modest, updated arena. Either you are attempting to be a real city or you aren't. There should be something there for the Wolf Pack, the UConn hockey and basketball teams, concerts, Ice capades, circuses etc.

Not having a building of that type would be the death of Hartford. We can't fix what is really plaguing Hartford, namely that it needed to annex Wethersfield, Bloomfield, West Hartford and Newington 120 years ago. East Hartford too ideally.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't have a dog in this fight really, as a non resident. But the reality is that both Worcester and Providence have no issue maintaining a modest, updated arena. Either you are attempting to be a real city or you aren't. There should be something there for the Wolf Pack, the UConn hockey and basketball teams, concerts, Ice capades, circuses etc.

Not having a building of that type would be the death of Hartford. We can't fix what is really plaguing Hartford, namely that it needed to annex Wethersfield, Bloomfield, West Hartford and Newington 120 years ago. East Hartford too ideally.
It either generates a positive cash flow or it doesn't. If this thing is operating at a muti-million dollar loss, and that masked by the $3.5M that UConn pays it annually, you have decide how much having the Ice Capades play a fews date to a less than half full arena really matters to Hartford.

Last edited:

TJT

Reaction Score
I don't have a dog in this fight really, as a non resident. But the reality is that both Worcester and Providence have no issue maintaining a modest, updated arena.

I was recently in the DCU Center in Worcester. It is looking rather tired these days. With all the money being spent on their new AAA baseball ballpark (100M+ in public funds), I have doubts the city will have money any time soon for a major arena rehab.

Reaction Score
I was recently in the DCU Center in Worcester. It is looking rather tired these days. With all the money being spent on their new AAA baseball ballpark (100M+ in public funds), I have doubts the city will have money any time soon for a major arena rehab.
that's the old Centrum? or did they build something newer - the Centrum is about the same age as the XL

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Nah, it's a dump. I have a lot of great memories of games there, but it's pretty crappy these days.

It's probably as spiffed up now as it's ever been. Why is it a dump now?

CL82

Reaction Score
It's probably as spiffed up now as it's ever been. Why is it a dump now?
Off the top of my head? It's dirty, worn, loose seats, inadequate concourse. As I noted earlier, it still looks good on TV though.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
But the reality is that both Worcester and Providence have no issue maintaining a modest, updated arena.

The reality is that you are talking out of your tookus. The XL is in much better condition than Worcester and they just lost their hockey team.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The reality is that you are talking out of your tookus. The XL is in much better condition than Worcester and they just lost their hockey team.

I just haven't been to XL in a few years. If it's in decent shape then people should stop bitching. How does it compare to the Dunk? I've been there often.

Reaction Score
When they added the extra 5k seats to an arena built for 10k people after the roof fell off it became obsolete immediately. Although It's not really an issue of is it suitable to watch a game but rather the issue that at it's current set up it's going to lose money every year and all the band aids in the world aren't going to solve that. Wrecking ball will have to be the fate and i'll let the smarter minds make the decision on a new building.

Reaction Score
I just haven't been to XL in a few years. If it's in decent shape then people should stop bitching. How does it compare to the Dunk? I've been there often.
Providence dumped the right amount of money into the building at the perfect time. The XL needed to be addressed 20 years ago and wasn't.

CL82

Reaction Score
When they added the extra 5k seats to an arena built for 10k people after the roof fell off it became obsolete immediately.
Uh no. From memory? Roof drainage design was flawed. Used a center drain concept, which iced over. Ensuing rain caused load to exceed capacity.

Reaction Score
Uh no. From memory? Roof drainage design was flawed. Used a center drain concept, which iced over. Ensuing rain caused load to exceed capacity.

No. His point is the concourse, restrooms, etc were designed for a capacity of 10,507 not 16,294

TJT

Reaction Score
that's the old Centrum? or did they build something newer - the Centrum is about the same age as the XL

Yes. Same building - new name. Originally opened in 1982 making it a few years newer (7-10) than either the XL Center or Dunkin Donuts Center in Providence.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
No. His point is the concourse, restrooms, etc were designed for a capacity of 10,507 not 16,294
And the concourses are more open now than they ever were.

Reaction Score
I’m talking about after the roof fell. They added seats but didn’t make the concourse bigger hence being obsolete

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom