The worry: The holy grail for the ACC | The Boneyard

The worry: The holy grail for the ACC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What worries me about the realignment talk is the holy grail for the ACC: adding Notre Dame and PSU to get to 16. This would be a huge coup for the ACC and it would leave UConn and Rutgers out. The TV contract would be terrific and it would be the top basketball and one of the top football conferences and a truly eastern conference. PSU would find it hard to leave the Big 10, buy maybe not.

Another possibility is adding ND and one other team, either UConn or Rutgers. Hopefully UConn wins that bake off, but maybe not.

It will be an interesting few weeks, but I am thankful we have Herbst on our side.

Reaction Score
if this is your primary worry, you should sleep pretty well.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
North Carolina would leave the ACC for CUSA before Penn St would leave the B1G for the ACC.

If ND does finally break down and join a conference for all sports, it will be the B1g, not the ACC.

Reaction Score
Can they get Penn St away from the BIG10? Doubt it. Can they still lure ND in all sports? Yes but they may need UConn as team 15 to put the press on ND.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
If Penn State goes to the ACC, wouldn't that just open a possible spot for us in the Big 10?

Reaction Score
no chance psu leaves. and if they do, that opens the b1g door wider for us. it's not happening.

Reaction Score
ND has to find a home for their sports. They are an East Coast focused school. Why do you think the ACC chose Pitt and Syracuse first? To force ND's hand to come all in. The hybrid arrangement for ND is over. Time to choose Big 10or ACC.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
ND has to find a home for their sports. They are an East Coast focused school. Why do you think the ACC chose Pitt and Syracuse first? To force ND's hand to come all in. The hybrid arrangement for ND is over. Time to choose Big 10or ACC.
There are still eight schools (all catholic, like ND) who play the bulk of the other sports that ND fields. A couple happen to be reasonably high profile men's basketball programs. I'm sure ND would greatly prefer the BE to remain as it was 48 hours ago but they have a home for their other sports.

Reaction Score
ND can stay in the new BE, or with the Catholics. They do not have to do anything.

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score

If this were the case, that now its time for ND to pick, wouldn't the best partner for them in either scenario be UConn? I think that has to be our dream/best case scenario as this all plays out, and we follow them whichever they choose.

Reaction Score
No way ND is even remotely interested in the ACC. B1G maybe, ACC no way.

Reaction Score
"ND can stay in the new BE, or with the Catholics. They do not have to do anything."
They could definitely stay with the Catholics I think the question is whether it makes financial sense to stay with a much weaker BE basketball conference (with a downgraded tv contract) or to cash out and join the B1G. I think that the best scenario for UCONN would be for ND to go to the B1G and to bring us along. I just can't see ND joining the acc

Reaction Score
the acc doesn't make sense for ND. ND is a second-tier bball program. They would fit well with the B1G

Reaction Score
North Carolina would leave the ACC for CUSA before Penn St would leave the B1G for the ACC.

If ND does finally break down and join a conference for all sports, it will be the B1g, not the ACC.

I just don't see ND joining a conference, unless every other sport other than football is severely compromised by not joining. Especially if the football team gets better - which they are. ND's offense is close to sensational and if Rees stops throwing pics they are a top 10 team. Try getting them to give up all that exclusive TV money when they start getting ranked.

Reaction Score
ND must chose the ACC or the BIG10 very soon! If the ACC secures UConn it presses ND even more.

Reaction Score
ND will join conference and before SU/Pitt to the ACC that conference was the BIG10 now the ACC may just get ND.

Reaction Score
ND will join conference and before SU/Pitt to the ACC that conference was the BIG10 now the ACC may just get ND.

how does SU/Pitt make the acc more attractive for nd?

Reaction Score
how does SU/Pitt make the acc more attractive for nd?

Private NE schools. Add UConn and ND in another conference has to fight for their share of the NY market that much more. The BIG10 is their ultimate destination but the ACC has made a play that might just come to fruition.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Pitt is a public U (used to be private). But to answer jpm's question, Pitt and SU have played ND in football in the past, though maybe not as often as Michigan, USC, BC, etc. Though I find it kind of weak if that's what the ACC was pinning their hopes on to lure ND. Seems more likely the expansion in to the northeast markets, was the main factor, with the possibility of blocking the B1G a side benefit.

Reaction Score
I just don't see ND joining a conference, unless every other sport other than football is severely compromised by not joining. Especially if the football team gets better - which they are. ND's offense is close to sensational and if Rees stops throwing pics they are a top 10 team. Try getting them to give up all that exclusive TV money when they start getting ranked.

ND makes about $8 million a year from it's TV contract. Purdue makes $25 million.

Reaction Score
Pitt is a public U (used to be private). But to answer jpm's question, Pitt and SU have played ND in football in the past, though maybe not as often as Michigan, USC, BC, etc. Though I find it kind of weak if that's what the ACC was pinning their hopes on to lure ND. Seems more likely the expansion in to the northeast markets, was the main factor, with the possibility of blocking the B1G a side benefit.

It seems to me that ND has more historical rivalries with B1G teams: Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue and could use OC games to keep rivalries with BC and Pitt, and could use add'l OC games for the NE, but if you look at where ND plays on the road and how they schedule, they are not seeking to have strong weighting in the NE. I would assume one game per year or every other year in the NE would suffice. They are playing in DC this year, and visit LA, Bay Area, Dallas etc. Not convinced they need to join a conf to gain exposure to the NE.

Reaction Score
IT doestn't matter if your not one of the 64 your screwed! Even ND can figure that out.

Reaction Score
It seems to me that ND has more historical rivalries with B1G teams: Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue and could use OC games to keep rivalries with BC and Pitt, and could use add'l OC games for the NE, but if you look at where ND plays on the road and how they schedule, they are not seeking to have strong weighting in the NE. I would assume one game per year or every other year in the NE would suffice. They are playing in DC this year, and visit LA, Bay Area, Dallas etc. Not convinced they need to join a conf to gain exposure to the NE.

and would any team refuse to play ND? Unlikely. I'm sure they could play any ACC school they wanted with one phone call, at home or with many of them at a neutral site.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
ND can stay in the new BE, or with the Catholics. They do not have to do anything.
i agree with this. ND can stay in the BE with Georgetown, Nova, Marquette, Seton Hall, Providence, SJU and Depaul. that would still be a very good hoops conference and they can add whoever they want who doesn't have a football program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom