The Witcher (Netflix) | The Boneyard

The Witcher (Netflix)

Reaction Score
Thoughts? I'm a few episodes in and I think I'm starting to warm up to it. Many shows I don't get into until the 4th episode or so. A lot of holes, poor editing cuts, and incongruous plot lines. If they build on it, it could have lasting power. But somewhat entertaining and has the prototypical elements.

Minimal star power: Check - Henry Cavill is enjoyable with his subtle sarcastic touch of humor.
Things that go bump at night: Check
Gratuitous nudity: Check
Sword battles and magic: Check
Power struggles of kings and wizards: Check

At one point I was dying for him to say, "Yo she-bitch, let's go".

But you have to be able to get by things like the opening scene where a fight suddenly emerges out of about 2' of swamp water.

Last edited:

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
I just finished it and liked it. Although, the beginning episodes were a little confusing as I wasn’t aware of the different timelines at first. I played the video game so I was familiar with the characters but if I hadn’t played the game, I probably would’ve been very confused.

Reaction Score
Thoughts? I'm a few episodes in and I think I'm starting to warm up to it. Many shows I don't get into until the 4th episode or so. A lot of holes, poor editing cuts, and incongruous plot lines. If they build on it, it could have lasting power. But somewhat entertaining and has the prototypical elements.

Minimal star power: Check - Henry Cavill is enjoyable with his subtle sarcastic touch of humor.
Things that go bump at night: Check
Gratuitous nudity: Check
Sword battles and magic: Check
Power struggles of kings and wizards: Check

At one point I was dying for him to say, "Yo she-bitch, let's go".

But you have to be able to get by things like the opening scene where a fight suddenly emerges out of about 2' of swamp water.
I'm 3 episodes in and I think episode 3 was what got me fully in. I haven't played the video games so I'm not 100% the target audience but I'm in.

I think that will do them in is the Netflix all at one model. I have a lot of friends who hyped it up to get me to watch but with the all at one model it's hard to get a ton of momentum

Reaction Score
I finished Season 1 last night. I thought the show improved through the course of the season. At first, I thought it was going to be a high-CGI version of Grimm, but it ended up being more than that. I admit that I struggled, a bit, with the timeline jumping. I've read that Netflix has already committed to a second season and I'll look forward to watching.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I finished Season 1 last night. I thought the show improved through the course of the season. At first, I thought it was going to be a high-CGI version of Grimm, but it ended up being more than that. I admit that I struggled, a bit, with the timeline jumping. I've read that Netflix has already committed to a second season and I'll look forward to watching.

This is almost exactly my view. I think it was well done, but the timeline jumping was done with no indication at all that it was happening. That lead to some confusion until it was made clear what happened. That could have been handled better. Acting is good and it's now in a very good spot for season 2. This whole season really just set the stage for the story.

Reaction Score
Agreed. Solid overall, but the timeline jumping with nothing to indicate what timeline you were in and virtually no attempt to differentiate the look of any of the characters spanning between 30 and 70 years. The "dragons" were sad compared to GoT, though.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
Agreed. Solid overall, but the timeline jumping with nothing to indicate what timeline you were in and virtually no attempt to differentiate the look of any of the characters spanning between 30 and 70 years. The "dragons" were sad compared to GoT, though.
One of the reasons it was especially to discern the multiple timelines is because Yennefer doesnt age, that's part of a being a sorceress and Geralt ages like 4x slower than normal humans lol which makes it even more confusing.

Reaction Score
One of the reasons it was especially to discern the multiple timelines is because Yennefer doesnt age, that's part of a being a sorceress and Geralt ages like 4x slower than normal humans lol which makes it even more confusing.
I was thinking the queen of wherever the hell it was. They jumped back and forth in time, at least 20 years and she didn't age one second.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Yeah there's definitely some clunkiness to the story that needs to be sorted out. Anyone that's played the games knows it's really all about Geralt, Yennefer, and Ciri and their relationships with each other, so I expect things to get better once they're all together (and it's obvious that trying to get the 3 of them together has lead to a lot of the clunkiness). I only played the 3rd game but the overall tone of the show was really exciting. The fight scenes were fantastic, especially the one at the end of the first episode.

Reaction Score
Yeah there's definitely some clunkiness to the story that needs to be sorted out. Anyone that's played the games knows it's really all about Geralt, Yennefer, and Ciri and their relationships with each other, so I expect things to get better once they're all together (and it's obvious that trying to get the 3 of them together has lead to a lot of the clunkiness). I only played the 3rd game but the overall tone of the show was really exciting. The fight scenes were fantastic, especially the one at the end of the first episode.

This is based on the books for the most part. Most of the first season was based on a book called The Last Wish, a collection of short stories that introduce you to the major characters you will be encountering. Moving forward the show should me a good bit more sense. If you are a reader and like fantasy stuff, I suggest you give them a try.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Bumping this as Season 2 will soon be out. I started a rewatch of Season 1 as well. Since Season 1, I also had a playthrough of The Witcher III video game, so I now have a lot more overall understanding of the story and who everyone is as well as the various skills of different people.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom