the way too early look at the 2018 Defense | The Boneyard

the way too early look at the 2018 Defense

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Guesstimating next year's defense. Yes - this is way to early. And yes, I have true frosh playing; Edsall is not shy doing so. Lots of question marks and key pieces are missing

So who did I forget? I did this from my phone!

Edited at 1015am and 12:56pm.

CB 1 - Lazarus / Herring-Wilson
CB 2 - Maybe one of Swann, Olaniyan (redhshirt) Banks or Carroll
CB 3 - Fortt / Watkins (revised to match the temple depth chart)
SS 1 - Brown / Coyle
SS 2 - Terry / TBD (maybe Robinson IV, or redshirt King or Morrison)
OLB 1 - E. Thomas / Hahn (or Kevon Jones)
MLB 2 - Levenberry (if here) or D. Harris / Sterling
OLB 2 - Britton / TJ Gardner (move TJ inside if Levenberry does not return)/ Beavers
DE 1 - TBD JUCO / Lawley or Atkins or TBD Frosh
DT 1 - Travis Jones / Murphy, Caleb Thomas or Brouse
DE 2 - Freeborn / Okounam (will he ever see the field?) or Pace

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Exercise in futility @ this point.

Quick review shows these players AWOL: Hahn... Britton... Swann... Beavers... Robinson... Bebe O. Know I’m missing some too.

One of Swenson/Fortt needs to be in CB2 - shouldnt be vacant @ this point.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

Quick review shows these players AWOL: Hahn... Britton... Swann... Beavers... Robinson... Bebe O. Know I’m missing some too.

I thought Britton was done after this year. I'll revise. I can't help be attempt to plan at some capacity. To create a frame work around which recruiting is based.

Reaction Score
It's never too early for a prediction of our 2018 Defense.. BUT, we gotta view this as incomplete right now... We gotta figure who's coming that's gonna provide immediate help in our front 7... What JUCO or Grad Transfer DT and/or DE edge rusher(s) are we bringing in to help solidify that up front push... Once we get that part taken care of I can see our D performing a lot better....

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Britton/Watkins/Lawley/Garson/Garland/King. Caleb Thomas is DT.

I omitted Garson and Garland since they arent see material playing time this year despite our defensive woes.

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

Happy to be wrong, but I feel like Swenson and Fortt are a little beefy to be view as #2 CBs. I feel like the #2CB starter is either redshirting for us right now (Bebe?) or not here yet. Again, happy to be wrong. I'm already boldly predicting Lazarus gets a starting job.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Guesstimating next year's defense - futile update! Edited at 10am to add Swenson

CB 1 - Lazarus / Swann or Herring-Wilson
CB 2 - Olaniyan / Swann or Carroll
CB 3 - Swenson / Fortt / Fox
SS 1 - Brown / Coyle / Morrison / Garland
SS 2 - Banks / Terry or Robinson IV
OLB 1 - E. Thomas / Hahn / Bemiy
MLB 2 - D. Harris / Sterling or Webb / Gilmartin
OLB 2 - Britton / TJ Gardner or Beavers / K Jones
DE 1 - Lawley / TBD Frosh / Okounam
DT 1 - Travis Jones / Murphy or Caleb Thomas / Brouse
DE 2 - Freeborn / Atkins or Pace / TBD Frosh

Here’s a radical idea, could Swann redshirt next year and be redeployed as an RB thereafter? Just thinking aloud, want his speed on the field somewhere.

Also, with the staff making an offer to Lucian, a 6’2’’ corner and hosting Devon Matthews a few weeks ago, seems like they will try to get another DB here.

I don’t think there are any clear red shirt candidates going into next fall. Everyone has a real chance to play.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Guesstimating next year's defense - futile update!

CB 1 - Lazarus / Swann or Herring-Wilson
CB 2 - Olaniyan / Swann or Caroll
CB 3 - Fortt / Coyle / Fox
SS 1 - Brown / Morrison / Garland
SS 2 - Banks / Terry or Robinson IV
OLB 1 - E. Thomas / Hahn / Bemiy
MLB 2 - D. Harris / Sterling or Webb / Gilmartin
OLB 2 - Britton / TJ Gardner or Beavers / K Jones
DE 1 - Lawley / TBD Frosh / Okounam
DT 1 - Travis Jones / Murphy or Caleb Thomas / Brouse
DE 2 - Freeborn / Atkins or Pace / TBD Frosh

Here’s a radical idea, could Swann redshirt next year and be redeployed as an RB thereafter? Just thinking aloud, want his speed on the field somewhere.

Also, with the staff making an offer to Lucian, a 6’2’’ corner and hosting Devon Matthews a few weeks ago, seems like they will try to get another DB here.

I don’t think there are any clear red shirt candidates going into next fall. Everyone has a real chance to play.

I'd add a JUCO/Grad Transfer or 2 to the secondary, especially on the back end of our D (Free Safety) ...
Edsall even made mention of this yesterday. The kids that are starting more than likely needed a redshirt year, but this is the best we have to put on the field... They probably hit that Frosh wall.. Only the Frosh though (IMO)... If you been at the college football level (coaching changes or not) for 3 years now, you should be able to tackle... Our youth didn't serve our physicality very well... I'm sure we'll be better off next season for this experience now, but I'd seriously consider getting some more mature kids in the mix on D... Just gotta make sure we put our best foot fwd in live game action... wayyyyy too many 3rd down conversions allowed, chunky plays, and missed tackles to not take this that seriously...

Reaction Score
One guy who I was sure would make a huge impact up front for us on D but looks like he barely sees any time in this new system is Brouse? What's the story with him? Just not a good fit for the scheme?

Reaction Score
If you think this year's defense is bad?

I'm starting to think that P dug the grave and Diaco put the toe tag on the program.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
If you think this year's defense is bad?

I'm starting to think that P dug the grave and Diaco put the toe tag on the program.

I'm foolishly optimistic the new LB corp will be better than the current group by year end 2018. However, baring a transfer/recruiting miracle on the D line - they wont be able to show that improved athleticism.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I'd add a JUCO/Grad Transfer or 2 to the secondary, especially on the back end of our D (Free Safety) ...
Edsall even made mention of this yesterday. The kids that are starting more than likely needed a redshirt year, but this is the best we have to put on the field... They probably hit that Frosh wall.. Only the Frosh though (IMO)... If you been at the college football level (coaching changes or not) for 3 years now, you should be able to tackle... Our youth didn't serve our physicality very well... I'm sure we'll be better off next season for this experience now, but I'd seriously consider getting some more mature kids in the mix on D... Just gotta make sure we put our best foot fwd in live game action... wayyyyy too many 3rd down conversions allowed, chunky plays, and missed tackles to not take this that seriously...

I've ignored JUCOs and transfers for the time being since neither seem to be on the radar.

Of the known recruits/offers, seems like at best we can hope to land Lwal Uguak and Damion Daley for Dline and Jeremy Lucien as another DB. Devon Matthews has numerous options, so odds seem remote.

Hard to imagine any 5th year senior we get will really be that good, after all they are getting pushed out of their home school.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Depends how fast these guys are and how well they read and tackle.

It's not as difficult to improve drastically on defense as it is O. The ability of the DLine to get a push will determine everything.

That and the aggressiveness of the scheme.

Reaction Score
I'm foolishly optimistic the new LB corp will be better than the current group by year end 2018. However, baring a transfer/recruiting miracle on the D line - they wont be able to show that improved athleticism.

You're basically banking on 2 things:

That Diaco recruited a lot of kids who can play competently at this level

and

Edsall recruited a bunch of incoming true freshmen who will step in and play well

I don't think either of those scenarios have a good track record.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
You're basically banking on 2 things:

That Diaco recruited a lot of kids who can play competently at this level

and

Edsall recruited a bunch of incoming true freshmen who will step in and play well

I don't think either of those scenarios have a good track record.

Can't argue with you on either points really. Except, that I am foolishly optimistic that Eli Thomas, Dylan Harris, TJ Gardner and Hunter Webb can deliver as LBs. Plus, maybe you get a little something out of Kevon Jones and Darien Beavers.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom