The Way Too Early ESPN Top 25 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The Way Too Early ESPN Top 25

Reaction Score
ESPN just announces that any UConn's NC has players including DT, Tina, Maya and Stewart should not be counted. That will make UConn's NC to only 2 instead of 11.

Please provide link or are you just looking for outraged replies?

Reaction Score
He is making a joke. Chill
I'm chill. AC set to 72. It's the number of people that replied to his comment that made me ask for the link. ESPN isn't a friend to UConn or women's basketball.

Reaction Score
I am not sure if we play Baylor and Maryland next year. We probably owe Baylor a home game. I know Oregon and SC play in the Battle for Atlas tournament in the Bahamas.
Yep SC plays MD at home, to return the home and away series since MD played SC at home last season.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
I’m replying as a Mississippi State fan so understand it is from a fan’s perspective. However I’ll try to be as objective as possible. Overall I think there is an argument to be made for MSU to be preseason top five. Honestly I think three is high. Regardless pending any transfers their only loss is J Danberry. She is an incredibly gifted player but there are several other players capable of stepping into her position and role.
As far as star power R Jackson returns as a sophomore after having a very good freshman season. A year in the system and weight room should really help her improve. She is also an alpha. S Cooks and A Matharu also have the ability to take over games. Matharu also has the alpha mentality.
S Cooks, M Hayes, and D Gaston are the newcomers. Cooks should push for a big role. Hayes also has potential to contribute this coming season.
There are still lots of questions such as a starting five and key backups separating themselves from the rest. This past season saw games where a player may play 30 minutes one game then few or none the next game. Coach Schaefer says this team has yet to have an alpha dog emerge that will enforce practice habits and other off the court habits. There are no issues or bad attitudes but just no killers yet. That segways into the fact that the rising seniors are probably solid role players at best and the youngest players are the most talented. Will everyone accept their roles for the betterment of the team?
I don’t know enough about what the other teams at the top lose, gain, and/or have returning to decide how it compares. The one I probably know the most about is South Carolina. They have great talent returning in the starters and backups. They also have a great coach. However I am a big fan of T Harris and M Herbert-Harrigan. Both are very talented and alpha dogs. While I think there are some good players that can fill their role I’m not sure if anyone can play right away like those two.
Victoria Saxon and Lele Grissett are MAJOR alpha dogs....make no mistake that South Carolina is No. 1 for a solid reason. I would venture to say they will be even better next year, with a year from all the freshmen under their collective belts. They add Littleton and Amihere has another off season to get adjusted to playing after her surgery.....

Reaction Score
I'm chill. AC set to 72. It's the number of people that replied to his comment that made me ask for the link. ESPN isn't a friend to UConn or women's basketball.
For years, ESPN has been one of the few sports channels that reported on women's basketball. For every story some disagree with, there have been R Lobo and Geno interviews, UConn appearances on various TV shows (especially Golic's morning show), and coverage of games across the US. Without ESPN, not sure what coverage women's basketball would have.

Reaction Score

Just curious, why do you think that ESPN is not a friend to women's basketball? Lots of prime time regular season games, live Selection Monday in prime time, and of course the NCAA tournament in prime time and prime weekend spots.

ESPN is the only national platform that even acknowledges the existence of WBB.

Reaction Score
ESPN has to fill there broadcasting hours with something. Their site shuts down info about NCAAW basketball after the championships. Last fall just before the season began, their articles were still about the prior final four. If they were true proponents of the women's game they would talk more about off season transfers, rule changes, recruiting, etc. Their greatest CBB basketball player unfairly made women compete with men. They should have had the same bracket for women. Also, they could have included Ray Allen on the men's side. Yeah, they cover women's basketball, but they would probably preempt that coverage if a big poker match was being played.

Reaction Score
I think ESPN needs to revisit this list in the summer after the NCAA votes on the transfer rule. A lot of transfers have happened since then, which has elevated a lot of teams.

Reaction Score
Chloe Bibby entered the transfer portal yesterday. How many others will transfer with a new coach coming in?

Reaction Score
Chloe Bibby entered the transfer portal yesterday. How many others will transfer with a new coach coming in?
C Bibby actually entered the day after Coach Schaefer left. She just signed yesterday. J Hemingway had entered about a week or so prior to that and committed to West Virginia. However both players entered in an effort to get more playing time and not due to the coaching change. So far all the current players have come out on social media saying they are staying.

Reaction Score
I think UCONN next year could do what SC did this year. Hear me out:

Yes-We lose CD and Megan, but what we gain is Anna, Olivia, Aubrey, and CW being a year older, is huge. IMO-I know Christyn had a tough season, but she was still the best basketball player on our team. IF she can blossom the way I think she can, I think she could be a 1st team AA next season.

The wildcard here is Evina. I think she will be the alpha and this will be her team from day 1.

Throw in what we can get from the freshman and I think that by seaon's end, nobody will want to play us.
Overall, I thoroughly agree with your team assessment and our key players being more experienced, and basically our gains for next year exceed our losses. However, I will strongly disagree that CW was "the best basketball player on our team" last season--in what way? Statistically and otherwise, that was Megan--she just so happened to be the AAC POY, a consensus first team All-American, and is projected to be a a top six pick in the WNBA draft tomorrow. IMO, CD and Liv also had better years, evidenced by their being cited as AA honorable mention and CW was not. I feel CW has all the potential in the world, but she was far from being UConn's best player last season...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom