The Way Too Early ESPN Top 25 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Way Too Early ESPN Top 25

Reaction Score
ESPN just announces that any UConn's NC has players including DT, Tina, Maya and Stewart should not be counted. That will make UConn's NC to only 2 instead of 11.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
ESPN just announces that any UConn's NC has players including DT, Tina, Maya and Stewart should not be counted. That will make UConn's NC to only 2 instead of 11.

Okay then.

Do USC’s titles with Miller not count? What about Tennessee’s titles with Holdsclaw?

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
ESPN doesn't hate Southern Cal or TN... just UCONN

Let’s just make it easy and say none of the championships with Geno and CD count. Seems fair enough.

Reaction Score
I think UCONN next year could do what SC did this year. Hear me out:

Yes-We lose CD and Megan, but what we gain is Anna, Olivia, Aubrey, and CW being a year older, is huge. IMO-I know Christyn had a tough season, but she was still the best basketball player on our team. IF she can blossom the way I think she can, I think she could be a 1st team AA next season.

The wildcard here is Evina. I think she will be the alpha and this will be her team from day 1.

Throw in what we can get from the freshman and I think that by seaon's end, nobody will want to play us.

Reaction Score
Actually I thought Mississippi State would be somewhere in the top 5. They lose only one player and add 2 McDonald's All American. They are two deep at every position. Rickea Jackson will be an All American this year.

Miss St is no question a top 10 but 3 may be too high for me right now. Vic has worked with far less talent and gotten them extremely far. Their freshmen and Carter (sophomore) were big stars for them this past year. I expect them to be really really good next year, especially adding Sidney Cooks, Madison Hayes and their youngsters getting another full offseason to develop.

I felt they were too raw this past year and so much youth and inexperience led to some chemistry and growing pains.

These polls are always worthless anyways. IMO next season is very open, a lot of great teams and talented squads could win it all. Just another fun thing to talk about. Looking forward to next year already.

Reaction Score
Lol, valid but I think they actually have a solid claim to preseason #1 with their freshman trio returning along with Henderson, Saxton and Grissett.

Stanford looks loaded too, even without Carrington. I think there's a drop off after these 2.

Mississippi State at 3 is high IMO but I wouldn't count them out. Jackson is gonna be a star and they return a ton of talent. Vic's roster is crazy deep though which often times doesn't lead to great chemistry.

UCONN at 4 looks good. I think they're underestimating Maryland at 10 though. I'd have them around 7-8.

I think they put Maryland at 10 b/c of the Austin transfer in addition to the losses of the senior class. With Austin, I think Maryland would’ve easily been in the top 5. But the off-season will be interesting and more telling of the top 25!

Reaction Score
This list makes me ready for the season to begin. I miss it already.
Same! ... still wish it was some way that they could play out this year’s ncaa tournament but I know it’s no possible way.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I think they put Maryland at 10 b/c of the Austin transfer in addition to the losses of the senior class. With Austin, I think Maryland would’ve easily been in the top 5. But the off-season will be interesting and more telling of the top 25!

Agreed. I had them at 3 with Austin. I still think theyll be quite good even without her. Owusu/Miller/Mikesell is a good trio and they bring in transfer Mimi Collins and #2 recruit Angel Reese.

Reaction Score
Maryland's top 8 players are pretty solid. They have no one beyond that. Brenda also have NEVER signed a graduate transfer. This is her chance to try and sign a quality backup post player.

Reaction Score
Agreed. I had them at 3 with Austin. I still think theyll be quite good even without her. Owusu/Miller/Mikesell is a good trio and they bring in transfer Mimi Collins and #2 recruit Angel Reese.
Agreed! the Mimi Collins transfer couldn’t have come at a better time. & Yes that’s my projected starting 5 next season, Miller’s improvement will be key

Maryland's top 8 players are pretty solid. They have no one beyond that. Brenda also have NEVER signed a graduate transfer. This is her chance to try and sign a quality backup post player.
Yes think she needs to bring in at least 2 grad transfers or maybe some international talent in the post.

Reaction Score

Kim Mulkey use to be that way until some of her recent good experiences with it. It has been a big benefit for her the last two years. I would if I was Brenda. At least for more quality depth.

Reaction Score
"...along with rising junior Elizabeth Balogun (8.1 PPG). Balogun transferred from Georgia Tech and got a waiver to play this past season. She is the top rebounder (4.6 RPG) returning for the Cardinals."

Balogun gets a waiver, but Evina Westbrook doesn't. Rhyme and reason? UConn is just too good, so deny their waivers, no matter what?

Dude-I don't think you can underestimate what kind of abuse those kids at Ga Tech went though. And who cares about the Westbrook waiver at this point. It's almost better that she didn't get it, considering how this season ended.

Reaction Score
I think UCONN next year could do what SC did this year. Hear me out:

Yes-We lose CD and Megan, but what we gain is Anna, Olivia, Aubrey, and CW being a year older, is huge. IMO-I know Christyn had a tough season, but she was still the best basketball player on our team. IF she can blossom the way I think she can, I think she could be a 1st team AA next season.

The wildcard here is Evina. I think she will be the alpha and this will be her team from day 1.

Throw in what we can get from the freshman and I think that by season's end, nobody will want to play us.
If Christyn had one tough season your perspective might have some validity, but her Freshman season was nothing to write home about either. What, other than your opinion has she shown since playing in college that would validate her being labeled the best player on the team?

As to first-team AA next season. She might want to try to shoot for honorable mention first. Once a player's rep is no longer there, it becomes harder to make it on merit. Her high school rep has pretty much disappeared and it would take a huge season to elevate her to AA status.

Reaction Score
Meh. I don't have any issue with the rankings. Lots of games to be played next season and plenty of time for teams to move up or down. We play Oregon, Baylor and SC next season. Take care of business and we move up. Lose, and we won't.
No other team can say that! Thank you!

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
If Christyn had one tough season your perspective might have some validity, but her Freshman season was nothing to write home about either. What, other than your opinion has she shown since playing in college that would validate her being labeled the best player on the team?

I don't believe CW was the best player on this year's team, and she didn't have a great year, but she was much better as a freshman than you are remembering. She shot 50%, 37% from three, and had 86 assists to 52 turnovers.

Compare that to Zia Cooke, lauded for her freshman season. Cook shot 38.6%, 36% from three, and had 61 assists to 58 turnovers.

Reaction Score
I am not sure if we play Baylor and Maryland next year. We probably owe Baylor a home game. I know Oregon and SC play in the Battle for Atlas tournament in the Bahamas.

Reaction Score
I am not sure if we play Baylor and Maryland next year. We probably owe Baylor a home game. I know Oregon and SC plays in the Battle for Atlas tournament in the Bahamas.
Is that a pre-determined tournament or is it a bracket?

Reaction Score
Is that a pre-determined tournament or is it a bracket?
This will be the first year for the women. The men tournament was bracket formatted. So the women will probably be as well.

Reaction Score
Dana Evans said today that she is considering leaving for the WNBA. (She will turn 22 on August 1.)

I thought ESPN had us ranked too high even before this news broke, because of the uncertainty at the 4/5 spots. Obviously, if Evans leaves all bets are off.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom