The Way It should Be | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Way It should Be

Reaction Score
I subscribe to the notion that long breaks negatively affect this team more so than others.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
We'll know shortly if this has primarily been science experiment stuff. After NJIT, many may play, but the lineups won't look so, "What?"

It seemed clear to me that Hurley followed the Boneyard advice today and mixed starters with bench guys. The bench was more effective as a result. Bouknight is a guy who is just better when he plays with better players.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It's not far fetched to say Gaffney is the best passer on the team. It's a relatively low bar but he sees the court really well and has a real feel for dropping dimes for his teammates.

And yet this place whined for months that he was just a combo and not a point guard and we needed to recruit another PG immediately. With a Sophomore Gaffney and Cole we are in good shape next year.

Reaction Score
I was at the game today and scored some seats about 6 rows off the floor. I thought all three freshmen played very well. Gaffney looked very comfortable and Bouknight had 6 points very quickly once he entered the game, finishing with 14 points and 7 rebounds. Akok looked great, really smooth and almost effortless, an absolute fan favorite. All three are really thin in person though. With Akok you notice how thin his legs are, with Bouknight it's his torso, Gaffney his arms. But all 3 can play and are a noticable upgrade in talent from most of the older players.

Whalely and Adams also played well and AG scored at will in the second half. AG only had 2 assists though, we are going to need him to share the ball a bit more going forward. CV did his thing today. Some great plays, some head scratching moments, and as always lots of rebounds for a guard. He is the best rebounding guard I can recall in my time as a UConn fan, although Bouknight is a great rebounder as well for a guard.

Not sure what was up with Sid. I don't even remember him being in the layup lines. Garry made a fantastic pass to Whaley for a dunk. The crowd LOVED that.

All in all, I thought the team played well outside of not defending the 3 well in the first half and some limited hero ball by CV and AG. Oh yeah, Josh was basically a no show. He got into foul trouble early and never really got in the flow of the game.

Last edited:

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
It seemed clear to me that Hurley followed the Boneyard advice today and mixed starters with bench guys. The bench was more effective as a result. Bouknight is a guy who is just better when he plays with better players.
I smiled when I noted Gilbert and the 4 Hurley recruits on the court.

Reaction Score
This game was all Gafney from the moment he got on the floor with the 3 pt shot to his natural play making . He and Bouknight both played great defense and made the offense flow when they were in the game.

Reaction Score
I was impressed by a lot of our guys today. Bouknight and Gaffney showed us exactly what they’re capable of. Gilbert started off playing too fast and was able to rein it in and end up playing a pretty good game. Even Vital finished with a pretty efficient stat line.

The biggest plus for me was Whaley though. Obviously New Hampshire isn’t that big, but being able to sit Carlton for an extended period of time would be huge for us if this is a repeatable performance.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
At least the 2nd half.
The 2nd half was extended garbage time. Who was in the game when we went from 9 down to 4 up? That's the only part of today's game that matters.

Reaction Score
18 to 9. Then Gafney 3, Adams 2, Bouk 3, Polley 3, then Bouk agan for 2. BOOM good guys up 22 to 18

Reaction Score
The 2nd half was extended garbage time. Who was in the game when we went from 9 down to 4 up? That's the only part of today's game that matters.

It was Gilbert, Adams, Bouk, Akok, and Carlton out when NH started their 8-0 run. Then Gaff came in for Gilbert during the run.

Then it was Gaffney, Adams, Bouk, Akok, and Whaley who were on the court for most of the run. Polley came in for Akok about halfway through it. Vital and Gaffney then came in for Adams and Bouk near the end,

So basically bench + Akok and then he brought back in Polley instead of Sid in the bench lineup. Then started rotating starters back in.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom