The View From Section 241 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
My bad. Sorry Al.

Rutgers will run the table when you can reduce the budget deficit by cutting taxes. It never ceases to amaze me what some people will believe.

Reaction Score
Never ceases to amaze me that some people believe that you can cut the deficit by RAISING taxes.

Cut spending geeeesh.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Cut spending and raise taxes. Then we'll see what's what.

Reaction Score
Nice analysis, but I'm not as worried about JMac's ablity to stand in there. I'm more concerned about the RB's and FB's blocking in the passing game. One thing about our D should make us feel good. Against Fordham our D line ran none of their stunts nor did we unleash our blitz packages and didn't shift back and forth from 4-3 to 3-4 like we'll occasionally be doing in the future. "We showed them (Vandy) nothing" I was told by someone in the know. Look for a much more animated and aggressive D in the games to come.

I checked the replay. We did run some safety blitzes -- I counted 4 in total, all with Junior. Other than that, there were mainly garden-variety extra LB's going after the QB from time to time. We only lined up with 3 down linemen twice. So while "we showed them nothing" is a bit of brash hyperbole, we definitely didn't go nuts changing up the defensive looks.

Reaction Score
I checked the replay. We did run some safety blitzes -- I counted 4 in total, all with Junior. Other than that, there were mainly garden-variety extra LB's going after the QB from time to time. We only lined up with 3 down linemen twice. So while "we showed them nothing" is a bit of brash hyperbole, we definitely didn't go nuts changing up the defensive looks.
Yeah, that really had the feel of a scrimmage. And I remember the Junior Blitzes. He came hard, but Fordham had no problem picking them up. Against Vandy, I hope we use the pass to set up the run on occasion.

Reaction Score
I haven't had time to search out the replay online, haven't even looked at a box score real close yet. later in the week, but from what I recall seeing in live action, at least on D - was players subbing in and out a lot. I might be wrong about that. But it was my impression. If I'm right, and the other observations above are also right, about not showing a lot of different looks, or bringing pressure from different angles, personnel groupings.... then it's probably - my guess - a product of Fordham being in a lot of the same down and distance situations in offense, and we as a defense were probably running players in and out for the same defensive packages to get everybody reps and experience - very much like a scrimmage.

I don't think we faced a lot of 2nd or 3rd and short situations in that game, and my guess is that when we do face teams that can get into those situations, where you'd like to get regularly as an offense - to work on a passing game, my guess is that's when the kitchen sink will be on the table.

As for the offense, as I remarked elsewhere, TOTALLY unpredictable. Thats a good thing. It remains to be seen how long we can go with rotating QB's, but frankly, after game 1, I see no reason to change anything as long as an opposing team doesn't figure out how to throw a monkey wrench into getting the personnel on and off the field. The team seems to have embraced it, and if by some chance, we end up going deep into the season with a 3 man rotation at QB, it will be one of the more masterful jobs of managing the game of football from both a players perspective on the field and a coach's perspective from the sideline.

as for the original thoughts on the discussion, interesting perspective as always, and always appreciate the attention to the role players, and the guys that play that all important 3rd phase of the game.

I'm not too concerned with the scheme on kick coverages, to me - scheme isn't so important as long as all 11 guys stick to their assignments. The most important thing there, is that somebody (bodies) need to get those kicking units playing with their heads on fire and a little insane. I didn't see the energy that I'd like to see in that phase. Not sure who the leader is going to be to emerge there. But somebody needs to take that role and literally run with it and start leveling people out there, in such a way, that the hits, are drawing more eyes and ears, than the the ball.

Other than that, a great first game. And although we don't have the originally intended prep and practice schedule for Vandy - they've got no idea what to prepare for from us.

A good situation for a first road game of the season. The key for us, next saturday, is to bring our own intensity on the road.

I'm confident in our ability to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom