The View From Section 241 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
businesslawyer said:
How could you not have found me? by the end of the game there were less than 20 people in the entire section

There were two in the front row, BL and me and our people and a group of 10 about 15 rows back in the second half.

PepBand was judas and left us to go sit in the chairbacks. Lol.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Hahaha. I was lucky I didn't get kicked out by the lady policing the chair backs. :)

Reaction Score
When Foxx was at QB there were times when either he or Johnson would have had huge gains if the handoff or keeper had been decided the other way. This offense could yield big plays for us going forward. On one Johnson TD, Foxx could have walked into the endzone if he had pulled the ball. As for Stewart he is outside contain and too often he is head up or inside shoulder as the play comes his way and he can't disengage in time or is blocked leading to big gains. In the future I want to see 6'3" or 6'4" players at this position with longer arms and speed so they can't be blocked as easy and can be more of a pass rushing threat. Diggs and Stapleton fit that profile currently.

Agree, also with Whitmer at QB too and other backs. some bad reads on the DT/DE, however they are being taught, but they have seen it on film by now for sure. Was almost like they so happy to see space just tuck and try to run to daylight. As the game slows down for them, and they make the reads, the plays were there to speed up. :)

Reaction Score
Agree with a lot of this post. Final score hid the ongoing offensive struggles. #20? Get him out of the secondary. Make him a LB if they want to continue to fawn over his "all airport" look (the old Dickie V quote). He continues to be terrible back at safety. Foxx may have given fans a look at the prototype QB at UConn going forward. If he can pass (or they can recruit someone who can run AND throw) this position will help resuscitate the anemic (nearly non existent UConn offenses of the past 4-5 years). The old days of the UConn ground and pound aren't gonna cut it. If UConn is gonna have success on the ground, the dual threat QB is the key.

Reaction Score
There is almost no doubt in my mind that Diaco will go with a dual threat QB if at all possible. There are very few kids who come into the college game with the arm and head to run pro-style offenses - and there are even fewer that are likely to end up at UCONN. We can't wait around every 15-20 years for the next Dan O. A dual threat QB provides one more weapon to the offense. Also, I think the read-option is going to be a basic part of UCONN's package moving forward. Can't believe how well Foxx handled that. Worry that we could be turnover prone with it, but not so far.....

Reaction Score
Safeties often look bad, when they are trying to cover up and save somebody's mistake somewhere underneath......the position developed the name for a reason. You don't hear anyone saying the last line of defense should have been named "Risky" instead of "Safety".

The weak spot in a cover 2 shell, is the deep sideline. The play that everybody focuses on where he closed the space and made the leap and the ball went just over his hands for a completion? Not the right play to focus on for Obi's issues. That was just a fantastic offensive play. it happens in football, and inch or more here or there, and it's a fantastic defensive play, instead of fantastic offensive play. Nobody did anything wrong on that play, unless you want to single out the defensive front for not sacking the QB, or at least getting enough pressure to disrupt the throw.

That said, Obi needs to be disciplined this week, because he will be a target for the option offense we will face. He bites too hard, or makes the wrong reads, and we can get exploited. But he's not alone, the entire D, will need to do the same thing, it will just be more obvious, if he effs up.

Reaction Score
All I've been thinking about is how we should request a Mulligan from the NCAAs for the Tulane and USF games. If we used this offense in those games we'd be competing for a league title.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
There are a few comments that I would like to make, this appears to be the best spot for them:

Saturday was the first home game I’ve missed since the beginning of the P era. The weather wasn’t the issue and there are few things that would have kept me from the ceremony dedicating the statue to Jazz, unfortunately I had a funeral to attend (and gave my first ever eulogy).

I DVR’d the game but did not get a chance to see it until late Sunday. Awesome effort, having known the result (and many of the details to the result) took away some suspense but it was still enjoyable. A side note here: I spent a good amount of time at the funeral home on Saturday sneaking away to catch a glimpse of the score on my cell phone. This brought back some fond memories as my uncle (who passed away at 93) and I got in trouble some 43 years ago when (at my house, he was 50, I was 11) we felt watching overtime of a playoff game (the then longest NFL game ever, Dolphins-Chiefs) was more important than sitting at the table for Christmas Dinner.

Onto the game, I now believe we can have a competent offensive line (I spent quite a bit of time wondering if we could fix this in any reasonable time frame) and I liked what I saw when the two freshman (Crozier & Rutherford) were in at guard (we played them together quite a bit). I also believe that Levi can become a competent Right Tackle (LT may be a bit beyond his reach) and Knappe is beginning to show some nice things. We may be twelve plus months away from being consistently solid but our line play will return!
I see a ton of young, quality players throughout the defense, at RB, TE and WR to go along with what should be (a couple of nice recruiting classes willing) a stockpiling of offensive linemen. I truly believe that the only question we have is can the staff develop a QB? If the answer here is yes we can be good, Equivalent to the top handful of G-5 football schools good (which should be somewhere between 15-25 nationally) in a couple of seasons. From there the sky is the limit.

There are a number of other things I would like to comment on but this will take some time so I will limit this to one of those comments: Why is it that even after a solid performance (where we handed a very strong team its first ever conference loss) some people feel the need to knock Whitmer (there was a thread filled with backhanded compliments, qualified statements of appreciation and a few out and out derisions)? No, he is not Joe Montana. He did however play a quality game and at a minimum does not warrant any criticism for this past Saturday.

Reaction Score
There are a few comments that I would like to make, this appears to be the best spot for them:

Saturday was the first home game I’ve missed since the beginning of the P era. The weather wasn’t the issue and there are few things that would have kept me from the ceremony dedicating the statue to Jazz, unfortunately I had a funeral to attend (and gave my first ever eulogy).

I DVR’d the game but did not get a chance to see it until late Sunday. Awesome effort, having known the result (and many of the details to the result) took away some suspense but it was still enjoyable. A side note here: I spent a good amount of time at the funeral home on Saturday sneaking away to catch a glimpse of the score on my cell phone. This brought back some fond memories as my uncle (who passed away at 93) and I got in trouble some 43 years ago when (at my house, he was 50, I was 11) we felt watching overtime of a playoff game (the then longest NFL game ever, Dolphins-Chiefs) was more important than sitting at the table for Christmas Dinner.

Onto the game, I now believe we can have a competent offensive line (I spent quite a bit of time wondering if we could fix this in any reasonable time frame) and I liked what I saw when the two freshman (Crozier & Rutherford) were in at guard (we played them together quite a bit). I also believe that Levi can become a competent Right Tackle (LT may be a bit beyond his reach) and Knappe is beginning to show some nice things. We may be twelve plus months away from being consistently solid but our line play will return!
I see a ton of young, quality players throughout the defense, at RB, TE and WR to go along with what should be (a couple of nice recruiting classes willing) a stockpiling of offensive linemen. I truly believe that the only question we have is can the staff develop a QB? If the answer here is yes we can be good, Equivalent to the top handful of G-5 football schools good (which should be somewhere between 15-25 nationally) in a couple of seasons. From there the sky is the limit.

There are a number of other things I would like to comment on but this will take some time so I will limit this to one of those comments: Why is it that even after a solid performance (where we handed a very strong team its first ever conference loss) some people feel the need to knock Whitmer (there was a thread filled with backhanded compliments, qualified statements of appreciation and a few out and out derisions)? No, he is not Joe Montana. He did however play a quality game and at a minimum does not warrant any criticism for this past Saturday.

Condolences FCF.

Agree completely with the Whitmer sentiment.

Hats off the J$ and BL who sat the entire game in 241. I started in the last row of the lower bowl and quickly (and wisely) moved to standing behind the red line under the protection from the elements. In the second half it was so sparse that I was able to walk down the entire length of the field following the ball. Best decision I've made in a while.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I don't know where to put this so this is a good a place as any.

I'm watching the UCF game on TCF's site.

I didn't realize it at the time and didn't see it posted anywhere, but did anyone else notice the sweet irony that Jhavon Williams (#6) blocked the field goal in the first quarter on the same day the Jasper Howard monument was unveiled?

Husky25

Reaction Score
I thought it was Summers?
Ah dammit. Yeah, Williams recovered it. I guess I got confused because CBS focused on Williams following the play.

Husky25

Reaction Score
As bad as the officials were, they saved UConn from a disaster of a fake punt with about 14:30 to go in the 2nd. Rain started to come down pretty hard around then.

Husky25

Reaction Score
What helped Foxx break his 68 yard run was that Ron Johnson went up the middle on the first 5 drives of the game. Foxx sold the hand off.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I was about to say that UCF started to fall apart after the sack/personal foul in the 2nd quarter, but Holman made two pretty incredible throws on the subsequent drive. Stanbach had 100 yards and 2 TDs in the first half. Kudos to the offense for putting a wet and slippery ball into Holman's hands.

Corey Chavous did not like going for it on 4th and 3 with 4 minutes left in the 2nd quarter. May have been the turning point for the offense.

Is it me or did Cochran gain some LBs.? Might be his beard, but his face is looking a tad wide. Take it from a fat man, gotta stay in front of that when you're young.

Reaction Score
As bad as the officials were, they saved UConn from a disaster of a fake punt with about 14:30 to go in the 2nd. Rain started to come down pretty hard around then.

The refs properly called the false start. I re-watched the play a few times on DVR. The 3 personal punt protectors did not sell the fake very well at all ... they totally lined up as if something was up. UCF defense started shouting and pointing pre-snap and aligned themselves to snuff it out. Had one of the blockers not moved prior to the snap of the ball Mariner (I believe) would have been stopped short of the first down ...................... if he didn't fumble.

I like a fake punt or FG every now and then to keep the D honest ... but HCBD hasn't quite called them very wisely yet.

Reaction Score
Condolences FCF.

Hats off the J$ and BL who sat the entire game in 241. I started in the last row of the lower bowl and quickly (and wisely) moved to standing behind the red line under the protection from the elements. In the second half it was so sparse that I was able to walk down the entire length of the field following the ball. Best decision I've made in a while.

I tried that during the 3Q, but the wind down there was unreal. Was warmer in 241.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I tried that during the 3Q, but the wind down there was unreal. Was warmer in 241.

Under that side of the field was TURRRIbLe. The other side was better.

Reaction Score
Jimmy Serrano said:
The first priority was staying dry. For the most part I accomplished that.

I was already wet by then. Misplayed that.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
Condolences FCF.

I ended up at the 50 on the north side, wind to my back... I tried the south side and wind in the face was not nice at all...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom