The View From Section 241 | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So I missed the game Saturday. Shoot me. In 11 years, I had missed games for three reasons: parents days at a child's college (only once); the Jewish holidays; and work. My wife, running for Board of Finance in our town (and people say I'm a glutton for punishment), decided to have a campaign event Saturday afternoon. I said I have a football game that day. Then both the Lt. Governor and the Attorney General accepted invitations to come to her event. And I did not think that saying "sorry honey, have fun but I'm still going to the game" was a viable, long term strategy. Too bad, because a great day outside and a good crowd at least in terms of size (and, given our season, all you can ask people to do is show up). So my comments are only from watching the game on TV (3 quarters live and the fourth quarter at night).

Our special teams play is just atrocious. We have two senior kickers and we get outkicked every single game except Towson. Our returns suck, and coverage is just fair. I don't know that we've ever been this poor on specials. Kudos to the long snapper, who is the only guy who I'm never cursing out (which, if you're a long snapper, is a good thing).

The defense, Spackler's lunacy aside, was great. Yes, we have limitations, especially with the pass rush, but it was an outstanding team effort. I thought Vann, for his first real game, was a huge improvement. I'm not as sold on Ashiru but I also don't think he's doing any worse than Stewart was. Nice to see Adams back. Just a good, solid game against a not good offense.

The offense, however, didn't get it done. Yes, the OL came out like they were being held up on their way to the Thanksgiving turkey, but that slowed in the second half. Clearly a huge improvement run blocking for the OL, and a great game for Lyle (I told you he wasn't the problem), but not as much in the 2d half. Ironically, there is every chance we win the game if Whitmer got one more chance. I see potential in Boyle, and goodness knows Deshon Foxx did him no favors, but I have no reason to think Whitmer wouldn't have completed just the few more passes we needed to win the game. That having been said, that is not a criticism of either Boyle, who looked like he had the tools but isn't quite ready yet, or Weist, because having the right QB to lead the time is a lot more important than throwing the ball (see, e.g., Lorentzon, Tyler, despite the idiots on here who don't get that).

Coaching -- the team clearly came out with more focus and effort than the debacle in Western New York, but not enough for 60 minutes to beat even a bad and injured team at home. And, some criticism on the final drive for not calling the last time out sooner is fair (although I still think many here think it's as easy in real life as in a video game, while in real life you just don't know how quickly the team is going to reassemble at the line of scrimmage). My bottom line is that you're not going to be able to judge the new coach on this season, because his team is inadequate. Does that mean the players suck? No, it may be that potentially competent players have lagged in development, and schemes are absurd, but there is only so much you can fix during a season.

That's it. I probably would have been madder had I watched the end of the game in privacy, instead of from my wife's event. Plus, the loss seemed less absurd against the backdrop of two state constitutional officers actually coming to a small cocktail party rally for one Board of Finance candidate in one town. I don't hold high hopes for the rest of the season, and I still don't see talent that is going to immediately be back where we were under FHCRE when a new coach comes in, but at least P and GDL gone is the necessary first step.

Reaction Score
So I missed the game Saturday. Shoot me. In 11 years, I had missed games for three reasons: parents days at a child's college (only once); the Jewish holidays; and work. My wife, running for Board of Finance in our town (and people say I'm a glutton for punishment), decided to have a campaign event Saturday afternoon. I said I have a football game that day. Then both the Lt. Governor and the Attorney General accepted invitations to come to her event. And I did not think that saying "sorry honey, have fun but I'm still going to the game" was a viable, long term strategy. Too bad, because a great day outside and a good crowd at least in terms of size (and, given our season, all you can ask people to do is show up). So my comments are only from watching the game on TV (3 quarters live and the fourth quarter at night).

Our special teams play is just atrocious. We have two senior kickers and we get outkicked every single game except Towson. Our returns suck, and coverage is just fair. I don't know that we've ever been this poor on specials. Kudos to the long snapper, who is the only guy who I'm never cursing out (which, if you're a long snapper, is a good thing).

The defense, Spackler's lunacy aside, was great. Yes, we have limitations, especially with the pass rush, but it was an outstanding team effort. I thought Vann, for his first real game, was a huge improvement. I'm not as sold on Ashiru but I also don't think he's doing any worse than Stewart was. Nice to see Adams back. Just a good, solid game against a not good offense.

The offense, however, didn't get it done. Yes, the OL came out like they were being held up on their way to the Thanksgiving turkey, but that slowed in the second half. Clearly a huge improvement run blocking for the OL, and a great game for Lyle (I told you he wasn't the problem), but not as much in the 2d half. Ironically, there is every chance we win the game if Whitmer got one more chance. I see potential in Boyle, and goodness knows Deshon Foxx did him no favors, but I have no reason to think Whitmer wouldn't have completed just the few more passes we needed to win the game. That having been said, that is not a criticism of either Boyle, who looked like he had the tools but isn't quite ready yet, or Weist, because having the right QB to lead the time is a lot more important than throwing the ball (see, e.g., Lorentzon, Tyler, despite the idiots on here who don't get that).

Coaching -- the team clearly came out with more focus and effort than the debacle in Western New York, but not enough for 60 minutes to beat even a bad and injured team at home. And, some criticism on the final drive for not calling the last time out sooner is fair (although I still think many here think it's as easy in real life as in a video game, while in real life you just don't know how quickly the team is going to reassemble at the line of scrimmage). My bottom line is that you're not going to be able to judge the new coach on this season, because his team is inadequate. Does that mean the players suck? No, it may be that potentially competent players have lagged in development, and schemes are absurd, but there is only so much you can fix during a season.

That's it. I probably would have been madder had I watched the end of the game in privacy, instead of from my wife's event. Plus, the loss seemed less absurd against the backdrop of two state constitutional officers actually coming to a small cocktail party rally for one Board of Finance candidate in one town. I don't hold high hopes for the rest of the season, and I still don't see talent that is going to immediately be back where we were under FHCRE when a new coach comes in, but at least P and GDL gone is the necessary first step.

dtter if I didn't watch the end of the game from my wife's event
Any reason why this is on the ticket exchange board ?? Are you trying to tell us something ?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Clearly a huge improvement run blocking for the OL, and a great game for Lyle (I told you he wasn't the problem), but not as much in the 2d half. Ironically, there is every chance we win the game if Whitmer got one more chance. I see potential in Boyle, and goodness knows Deshon Foxx did him no favors, but I have no reason to think Whitmer wouldn't have completed just the few more passes we needed to win the game. That having been said, that is not a criticism of either Boyle, who looked like he had the tools but isn't quite ready yet, or Weist, because having the right QB to lead the time is a lot more important than throwing the ball (see, e.g., Lorentzon, Tyler, despite the idiots on here who don't get that).

Great post, and I agree with just about everything. I'm highlighting this paragraph in particular, because it sums up what I thought about the game. Run blocking was restored, and we likely win with Whitmer. Boyle has great potential and good pocket presence, but Whitmer likely would have connected on a few more throws. Still, a lot to be positive about for the future. It just kills me that salvaging this season is going to take a miracle...

...hey, DJ Hernandez converted 2 points against Pitt in OT and Johnny Mac helped us beat a ranked Louisville team, so anything is possible... ;)

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
BizLaw, I tried to move the post but can't. I'll ask Nan.

Thanks as always. Hope the event went well.

Reaction Score
With all our troubles having an AWOL return game is making things very difficult when it comes to winning. As far as the Coach I'm sure we've been working on getting lined up and spiking the ball to save a timeout in case of a need to get the field goal team onto the field. I agree about it being difficult to judge the Coach unless a miracle happens. In some ways TJ is being asked this year to take over half way through Custer's Last Stand. One thing to note is with all the missed opportunities we did have some good play calling going on Saturday.

Reaction Score
LMAO. Was on a conference call while I did it. Obviously screwed up. If someone can move it, that would be great. Or if someone can paste and repost, using my handle, that would also be great. But I don't know how to do any of that crap, and at 0-5, I'm not typing it again

Reaction Score
With all our troubles having an AWOL return game is making things very difficult when it comes to winning. As far as the Coach I'm sure we've been working on getting lined up and spiking the ball to save a timeout in case of a need to get the field goal team onto the field. I agree about it being difficult to judge the Coach unless a miracle happens. In some ways TJ is being asked this year to take over half way through Custer's Last Stand. One thing to note is with all the missed opportunities we did have some good play calling going on Saturday.

Actually, as someone who reads a lot of American history, I can tell you that had Custer surrendered control of the 7th Cavalry a third of a way through Little Big Horn, most of the 7th Cavalry would have escaped with their lives.

I think Weist has a tougher situation

Reaction Score
Son of the Morning Star by Evan Connell was a good book on that event BL.

Reaction Score
biz, it's nice that you take the time to write these things up, but do you have to refer to fans that have their own opinion as "idiots"? That remark dillutes the entire post a bit.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
biz, it's nice that you take the time to write these things up, but do you have to refer to fans that have their own opinion as "idiots"? That remark dillutes the entire post a bit.

Yeah. Its kinda insulting to idiots everywhere.

Reaction Score

I resent that. I do not refer to every fan that has their own opinion as an idiot. Only those whose opinion is idiotic.

Reaction Score
I think I would rather watch that game 100 times than spend a Sat afternoon with a room full of Democrats.

(Sorry couldn't resist)

If it makes you feel better, Wisky, the Governor wasn't there at least in part because my wife didn't invite him. Seeing how much his endorsement did for William Tong in the Stamford Mayor's primary.

I had never met the Lt. Governor personally before, only heard her give speeches, but she is personable, intelligent and charming. The AG and I go back to 1980 when he was my boss in Chris Dodd's first run for Senate, and I'd bring George back to the Trinity pub after a long day at the office.

And, for what it's worth, I have no problem saying good things about CT Republicans. I answered a question for a non-business lawyer from Wilton, whose father was a Republican state rep I knew a generation earlier when I worked at the Capital in 1979. I made the guy cry telling him old stories about how much respect I had for his Dad. It ought to be possible for people to say nice things about politicians from both parties. Many of them are good people. Many of them aren't. But at least in CT that is not a Democratic or Republican thing.

Reaction Score
It's a joke. It was totally low hanging fruit.

If it makes you feel better, Wisky, the Governor wasn't there at least in part because my wife didn't invite him. Seeing how much his endorsement did for William Tong in the Stamford Mayor's primary.

I had never met the Lt. Governor personally before, only heard her give speeches, but she is personable, intelligent and charming. The AG and I go back to 1980 when he was my boss in Chris Dodd's first run for Senate, and I'd bring George back to the Trinity pub after a long day at the office.

And, for what it's worth, I have no problem saying good things about CT Republicans. I answered a question for a non-business lawyer from Wilton, whose father was a Republican state rep I knew a generation earlier when I worked at the Capital in 1979. I made the guy cry telling him old stories about how much respect I had for his Dad. It ought to be possible for people to say nice things about politicians from both parties. Many of them are good people. Many of them aren't. But at least in CT that is not a Democratic or Republican thing.

Reaction Score
That's because your pre-existing condition isn't medical.

You must have me confused with Butchy. But if you are a Democrat then it must be because of some mental disorder on your part.

Reaction Score
You must have me confused with Butchy. But if you are a Democrat then it must be because of some mental disorder on your part.
No, it's that presence of empathy, which is not a mental disorder but an indicator of being human. Wingnuts are missing it.

Reaction Score
There is reason for some optimism. There was much better play on Sat. accross many of the units. Agree with BL that specials are just about a mess. But, the OL is starting to fire off the ball and their ability to get the running game going made pass protection much better. I totally agree that we might have won this one with Whitmer under center rather than a true frosh in their first start, but I am totally supportive of the move, because Boyle may be the best option for the near and long-term. Along with McCombs, Max ran very well. I think Frank is coming on, and I thought Vann and Ashiru are much better for us than Stewart and Donohue.

We will find some Ws this season and hopefully some momentum going into next season. That is the most that can be expected. Not a chance Weist gets the job, although I think that has more to do with what he inherited than his ability. After watching the OL on Sat. I am more convinced than ever that P and GDL were completely lost....completely......

Reaction Score

Jeez man, it was clearly a joke. I found it mildly amusing. It would've been funny from either side of the aisle.

Reaction Score
Did anyone else notice that Section 241 won whatever prize they were giving out at Saturday's game? How ironic that BL takes that game off and his section wins.

Nevermind, I just saw that other post...

Reaction Score
What part of the three dropped TD passes do you blame on Boyle?

And how on earth do you support that CW could have thrown any of the three?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom