The View From Section 241 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Sure would like to see what McCummings could do if given a chance.
He is food for fodder they way they use him. Everyone knows it is a designed run. He has been allowed to throw four times and two of those went for td's.......
Sorry but i think he is the one we should be grooming right now......

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Sure would like to see what McCummings could do if given a chance.
He is food for fodder they way they use him. Everyone knows it is a designed run. He has been allowed to throw four times and two of those went for td's.......
Sorry but i think he is the one we should be grooming right now......

I'd be interested to see what McCummings could do for an entire game as well from a theoretical perspective but I don't think it would work based on the very limited number of snaps we've seen. It's easy enough to talk about four attempts and two touchdowns but let's face it, one of those TD's was a "should have been a pick" pass that so many others are complaining about Johnny. Still, I agree that it just isn't enough game attempts for us to really judge. Then again, the coaches got to see plenty of attempts in practice and they've put him where he is.

I think the other big issue is that the coaching staff just doesn't seem to trust McCummings with the entire playbook right now. Don't know if that is due to his ability to read a defense, his decision making, accuracy or something else entirely. Running him for a full game in his "package" as it currently exists isn't a long-term solution for us in my opinion. It would have a huge impact on recruiting and would have an impact on kids who want to make it to the pros (particularly WR's) due to a lack of potential plays coming their way.

Reaction Score
Bizlaw - Since you'll be in DC this weekend, here's the place to go to watch UConn sports. Enjoy!
Laughing Man Tavern
1306 G St NW
Washington, DC 20005
Phone: (202) 737-1797
Yes, we are interested in joint game watching parties at this location.
Laughing Man Tavern is the new official bar for all UConn game watches. It is located only half a block away from the 13 and G exit of Metro Center Station and has a full menu to go along with a good beer selection. Look forward to seeing everyone settle in to our new game watching location in DC.
Last updated 6/5/2009

Reaction Score
Bizlaw - Since you'll be in DC this weekend, here's the place to go to watch UConn sports. Enjoy!
Laughing Man Tavern
1306 G St NW
Washington, DC 20005
Phone: (202) 737-1797
Yes, we are interested in joint game watching parties at this location.
Laughing Man Tavern is the new official bar for all UConn game watches. It is located only half a block away from the 13 and G exit of Metro Center Station and has a full menu to go along with a good beer selection. Look forward to seeing everyone settle in to our new game watching location in DC.
Last updated 6/5/2009

Thanks. If my sone and I can get there, we will. Whether my wife has other plans ....

Reaction Score

Palatine said:
Mac played well for 35 minutes?

Nine points. No TDs. Zero third down conversions.

THat's one heck of a curve you are grading on.​
bizlawa siaid - I know what I saw. I thought he looked fine until the fumble. I'm sorry he isn't as good as Nebrich is in your dreams, but the rest of us can only see what has happened on the field.​
Straw man. You saw nine points. You saw no TDs. You saw no third down conversions. That's not debatable. You interpreted that to be "fine." That's what I am contesting, your opinion. My guess -speculation- is that our QB play has been so awful, it seemed fine by Mac's standards. But nine points, no TDs. no 3rd down conversions gets many QBs pine time.

Reaction Score
I know what I saw. I thought he looked fine until the fumble. I'm sorry he isn't as good as Nebrich is in your dreams, but the rest of us can only see what has happened on the field.

How about we judge JMac and Nebrich evenly - Nebrich has 15 pass attempts; lets compare him to the 15 pass attempts JMac; not so different. Maybe playing actually helps you improve, doesn't necessarily make you better than someone else, just better than YOU were; ask hcRE at the start of two years ago who is better Difton or Easley; ask him after game 5 of two years ago, probably same answer, ask him after the season two years ago, even he would say "probably" Easley.

If two players are anywhere near the same at a position, pick the better athlete 1st and see what he can do, more upside. If he bombs out can always go to other guy and know didn't pass on an Easley. Of course JMac should be improving, he's played almost 6 full games against college talent in real games where guys are trying to tear your head off. This after not playing live games for several years.

This 35 minutes of good play was just how good. Way better than Vandy, but this is much more experienced QB. There were 8 drives:

a. 2 had no completions and drives either lost yardage or gained none.
b. 2 drives had either 1 or 2 completions and gained less than 20 yards.
c. 2 drives had 2 or 3 completions and gained 45 or so yards.
d. 1 drive end half had 3 completions in 55 seconds and got to 5 yard line gaining 54 yards.
e. 1 drive 5 completions to start 2nd half and move 57 yards before fumble.

a and b were no great shakes, c was ok, d was nice against prevent and e was nice until the fumble. So couple of good drives out of 8. Hey, this is a recent BCS team playing in an AQ conference, by game 6 need to expect QB can do this level of QB play for 60 minutes to get a few FG's and hope defense/ST's can score a few TD's.

Reaction Score

Palatine said:
Mac played well for 35 minutes?

Nine points. No TDs. Zero third down conversions.

THat's one heck of a curve you are grading on.​
bizlawa siaid - I know what I saw. I thought he looked fine until the fumble. I'm sorry he isn't as good as Nebrich is in your dreams, but the rest of us can only see what has happened on the field.​
Straw man. You saw nine points. You saw no TDs. You saw no third down conversions. That's not debatable. You interpreted that to be "fine." That's what I am contesting, your opinion. My guess -speculation- is that our QB play has been so awful, it seemed fine by Mac's standards. But nine points, no TDs. no 3rd down conversions gets many QBs pine time.

And you don't think it's a strawman to just assume that the failure of the team to score a touchdown is due to one person, and not the other 17 who played on offense?

We didn't score a TD because the entire offensive personnel and play calling wasn't good enough to get the ball into the end zone. Was Jordan Todman not o.k. because we didn't score an offensive touchdown the last two games of last year?

Reaction Score
BL, just give it up. Palatine is convinced that, based on no evidence other than his own visions, that Nebrich should be the UCONN quarterback and nothing will change his opinion. Now if Nebrich ends up starting somewhere down the line and doesn't play well, he'll no doubt be convinced that we'd have won if only Box had been the starter...

Reaction Score
BL, just give it up. Palatine is convinced that, based on no evidence other than his own visions, that Nebrich should be the UCONN quarterback and nothing will change his opinion. Now if Nebrich ends up starting somewhere down the line and doesn't play well, he'll no doubt be convinced that we'd have won if only Box had been the starter...
I think at the very least Nebrich should be seeing some PT but he's getting zilch. A kid with his talent wearing a headset on the sideline is a waste, yeah maybe Mac is improving but a kid like Nebrich won't stay around much longer unless PP gives him some PT.

Reaction Score
I think at the very least Nebrich should be seeing some PT but he's getting zilch. A kid with his talent wearing a headset on the sideline is a waste, yeah maybe Mac is improving but a kid like Nebrich won't stay around much longer unless PP gives him some PT.
Quarterback is not like defensive end where you rotate guys in and out. there is a reason why most teams only play one guy there. Because it works better that way. You get better coordination between center and qbm, qb and recievers, ideally the game gets some flow. Nebrich should have been given a redshirt and never set foot on the field this season except in an emergency.

Reaction Score
And you don't think it's a strawman to just assume that the failure of the team to score a touchdown is due to one person, and not the other 17 who played on offense?

We didn't score a TD because the entire offensive personnel and play calling wasn't good enough to get the ball into the end zone. Was Jordan Todman not o.k. because we didn't score an offensive touchdown the last two games of last year?

If Todman was the QB for those 2 games, then he was not OK if there were no touchdowns on offense. QB's need to make plays.

Reaction Score
Quarterback is not like defensive end where you rotate guys in and out. there is a reason why most teams only play one guy there. Because it works better that way. You get better coordination between center and qbm, qb and recievers, ideally the game gets some flow. Nebrich should have been given a redshirt and never set foot on the field this season except in an emergency.

Actually, it's quite common in college football to rotate QBs in and out.

Reaction Score
Actually, it's quite common in college football to rotate QBs in and out.
Oh stop. It isn't quite common. It happens occassionally, rarely among top of the line programs. For a few years it was sort of a common practice to let your #2/heir apparent run the team for the second quarter. But that practice evnetually died because it caused more problems than it was worth. Often it disrupted the offense if it was playing well. there are 120 =- 1A football teams so I imagine you can find a few who rotate their quarterbacks. Penn State has done it this year with Bolden and McGloin. But most teams don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom