The View From Section 241 | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Could not ask for a better weather night for the time of year. As always, not fun trying to get from Stamford to the Rent on the Thursday before Labor Day, but it is what it is. Only pulled into the parking lot at 6:15 or so, so tailgate had to be rushed, but was able to get the clam chowder warmed, get the potato slices and jerk scallops grilled, and still in seats by 7:30. Kudos to the UMass band -- that is I believe the largest visiting band ever brought to the Rent (I think WVU's had been the biggest) and they were outstanding. They treated it like it was their Super Bowl. (Of course, that is as close to their campus as they will play for the next few years.) Kudos to our student section -- overflowing, on time and with more enthusiasm then you normally get for an opener against a non-big time opponent. Only one negative before getting to the game itself (and the negative will effect what I cover below). For the first five or so years of the Rent, I bought a program so I'd have players numbers but also to support the program. Then they eliminated the programs, and instead handed out free booklets with rosters in them. Fine. Yesterday, I get to the Rent and there was nothing. Nothing. So I didn't have a roster in front of me, and didn't know ahead of time to check numbers, which made it (obviously) harder to know who was playing off the bench. Thanks for the warning Athletic Department. Now that I know, I'll just print one off the internet and bring it.

Team looked fine. Much, much crisper than against Fordham a year ago. There was none of the uncertainty and people standing around not knowing who to block, none of the slowness in getting personnel on and off the field and to scrimmage, that we had the first half of last year with the new staff. I don't know how many games UMass will win this year -- I expect not very many -- but that was not a Patriot League team we were playing, and while the score was comparable I think we were actually more dominant. The easy win having been taken care of, I said that, by far, the only thing to take out of the game would be Whitmer's play. I think he showed us he had the ability to make most of the throws (jury out on the long balls) and had decent feet. Is he green? Yes. The first pick, while a great play by the DB that could Whitmer I'm sure by surprise, was totally unnecessary. I'm assuming he won't make that mistake again. The second pick was a horrific decision. Does everyone make them some percentage of the time? Sure. So we'll have to see what percentage of the time Chandler does. But overall, it was probably the second strongest debut a UConn QB has had in the moder era (Tyler's 300+ yard game at Duke was #1), and he showed me the tools to think he can connect on 60% of his passes before he's done. So as to QB play I was pleased.

Offense, defense and special teams. Let's do them in reverse order. Special teams was close to perfect. Solid game for Nick Williams returning. Christen was great on kickoffs and nailed all 3 FG attempts, including a 47 yarder. Did we see how he'll do under pressure? Of course not. But he has the tools to have a good two years for us. Wagner only punted twice, but both should have been killed within the 5 (Taylor Mack needs to be able to make the play he didn't make on the first one). Coverages were solid. And, off the dropped snap, we blocked a punt and turned it into 7. I'm still not sure who blocked it. I thought on the stadium replay it was Hyppolite, but someone else thought it was mack and I think the announcers said Clark. But it was Foxx (who played a lot of specials even though I didn't see him get a turn at WR) who didn't recover it, and then Max Delorenzo, getting his first of hopefully many UConn TDs, by falling on it. Overall, a great start for special teams.

The defense was honestly close to perfect. Were they that good? Was UMass's offense that bad? Ask me on the 9th. But the effort was so solid that I really can't single out individuals. As to the depth, until garbage time, as I expected, we did a 3-man DE rotation, with Jennings playing as much as Trevardo and Joseph (who looked bigger than I remembered). Willman made a nice play there late. There were a lot of bodies standing next to Wirth at DT (I know I saw Pruitt, in addition to Campenni). Only saw 3 LBs until the 4th Q, so there was no strategic subbing in of Vann, Ashiru or Donohue. And we played a lot of 3-3-5, with one DT coming out and Adams coming in as a third Safety (the Reggie McClain look we used to use). On 3rd and long, saw a little of Taylor Mack as a nickel, but not nearly as much as I saw Adams. I did not see Norris get in, but again, I had no roster. I don't doubt he did.

On offense, it was not nearly as rosy. I've spoken already about Whitmer. The running game was disappointing. I see no more of what was our bread and butter for years -- helmet to helmet big uglies winning battles up front. Everything now is technique based and just seems less effective. Our success running the ball came with McCumming in, when we'd get more blockers on the edge than they'd have defenders and would get 7 or 8 out of it. But just handing off and running with Whitmer in -- yuch. I was not optimistic about shifting Foley off the OL, and I'm going to have to see a lot better performance before I think that P was right and I was wrong. The other negative was the rhythm was off a little with the use of the wildcat. I understand what P was doing last year -- he was desperately trying to overcome the fact that he didn't think he had a Big East level QB. Fine. I gave him a wide path to walk on that. But wouldn't it be easier for both Whitmer and McCummings to play longer stretches in and out? The constantly using McCummings for one play just didn't seem to be helping anyone. As for personnel, without a roster I could not follow if there were changes being made on the OL. If someone paid attention, I'd be interested. At WR, Nick Williams and Geremy Davis started, but Michael Smith and Phillips basically played the same amounts in a 4 man rotation. Davis had an outstanding game and I think both Smith and Williams looked good. Phillips was a bit of a disappointment coming off the spring game, but it was only one game. Tebucky Jones only played in garbage time. Did not see Kamal Abrams even then, so I would guess there is a chance he would redshirt (and, as I said earlier, Foxx figures in to special teams even if he doesn't get WR time).
We played 3 FBs -- Frank, who looked much more like a typical road grader like Anthony Davis than he had as a frosh, Osiecki, who made a nice play catching the ball but then missed one he needed to catch, and then Delorenzo, who had a cameo at FB. We saw no meaningful subbing for McCombs at TB -- Hyppolite had one carry before garbage time and showed nothing (Delorenzo had a very nice carry, reduced by penalty, in garbage time). We played a lot of two TE sets, and Griffin lined up wide as much as tight. I saw both McQuillan and Shortell in garbage time only.

So, as I said, it was a more than successful opener. What I saw from Chandler causes me more optimism than the fear I have over the running game, the turnovers and the use of the wildcat. And, nothing I saw makes me doubt my pre season beliefs that both the D and the special teams might have outstanding years. But it was UMass. We will know far, far more on the 8th when the Wolfpack comes to the Rent. As it will be the biggest home game we've had since probably the Pitt game in 2010, it's also a chance to see how our fanbase has evolved and whether it's ready to step up its game in a big game. Based on what I saw from the students last night (and the fact that we are now clearly getting more students in who have been UConn football fans for years before going to UConn), I am hoping we surprise ourselves a little.

Reaction Score
Agree with almost all of that. #52 Donohue was running in and out all night. Mack blocked the punt.

Reaction Score
Nice read... they had the programs but you had to search for the student worker handing them out (normally the shortest person in the stadium).

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
one thing i had in the back of my mind going into this game was snapping the ball. we have heard several reports that we were struggling with it. once or twice the snap was high but both times whitmer had a handle on it and i forget what the plays resulted in but they wern't horrible enough where i would remember. i was happy with the center position from that regard.

Reaction Score
Nice read... they had the programs but you had to search for the student worker handing them out (normally the shortest person in the stadium).

Where? When I got through one set of gates without seeing anyone, I walked to another and looked there?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Good read, as always. When you note that some of our apparent strengths might be illusory because "it's UMass" keep in mind that some of our weaknesses might be as well for the same reason. The McCummings substitutions seemed out of place. I wonder if they might have been partially to for a smoke screen and partially for to get him reps. Same thing with the running game. They could have run McCombs all day long. There wasn't much point in showing how we'll do it or risking an injury.

As you point out, we'll know a lot more on the 9th.

Reaction Score
one thing i had in the back of my mind going into this game was snapping the ball. we have heard several reports that we were struggling with it. once or twice the snap was high but both times whitmer had a handle on it and i forget what the plays resulted in but they wern't horrible enough where i would remember. i was happy with the center position from that regard.

I'm sure we had at least two different players in there at the C during the game, not so sure that there were more than 2, but maybe more. The OL was rotating players almost as much as the DL, if not more. I noted somewhere else, but will here again, that it seemed to me that we ran the same inside trap run block scheme multiple times out of different formations, with the G and T jumping out and the C needing to stay at home in a 1-1 block, most of them went for little gain, and there were a few times where the play got blown up by the UMass D by a defender beating the C.

Valueable reps. Very valueable reps, for a position on the field, that I've been concerned about, I doubt that the C gets isolated like that in a blocking scheme next week, but at some point, with more reps and practice, we'll see that blocking scheme create some big runs, right up the gut.

Reaction Score
Where? When I got through one set of gates without seeing anyone, I walked to another and looked there?

There looked like what seemed to be an inexhaustable stack of programs on a table at the Gate C entrance. Nobody was handing them out, they were just sitting there rather obscurely.

Reaction Score
There were tons of free programs in those little podium-looking stands near all the entrances. No one was handing them out; you had to look. There were even lots left late in the game.

Reaction Score
i

I come into the stadium @ gate D (if you are in student section looking @ video board it would be to the right). Walking over to section 203 a UMass fan ask my 14 y/o where he got it - there was one person near gate A but you could clearly miss her as she was flirting with the kid renting the seatbacks.

Reaction Score
I'm sure we had at least two different players in there at the C during the game, not so sure that there were more than 2, but maybe more. The OL was rotating players almost as much as the DL, if not more. I noted somewhere else, but will here again, that it seemed to me that we ran the same inside trap run block scheme multiple times out of different formations, with the G and T jumping out and the C needing to stay at home in a 1-1 block, most of them went for little gain, and there were a few times where the play got blown up by the UMass D by a defender beating the C.

Valueable reps. Very valueable reps, for a position on the field, that I've been concerned about, I doubt that the C gets isolated like that in a blocking scheme next week, but at some point, with more reps and practice, we'll see that blocking scheme create some big runs, right up the gut.

Excluding garbage time, I saw Bennett and Friend as the only OT's but they rotated the interior line by putting Bullock in for Mateas, Samra in for Greene, and Cruz in for Masters. I have no problem with that under the assumption that they wanted to get those kids some meaningful minutes in case of injury. I did not see Masters move to the outside, but I could've missed it.

Reaction Score
Excluding garbage time, I saw Bennett and Friend as the only OT's but they rotated the interior line by putting Bullock in for Mateas, Samra in for Greene, and Cruz in for Masters. I have no problem with that under the assumption that they wanted to get those kids some meaningful minutes in case of injury. I did not see Masters move to the outside, but I could've missed it.

Thanks.

Reaction Score

I know I saw Friend on the sidelines, a lot, in the second half. I haven't watched the replay yet on TV, but I'm about 95% that Heminway #75 was on the field at Friend's RT spot.

Reaction Score
I know I saw Friend on the sidelines, a lot, in the second half. I haven't watched the replay yet on TV, but I'm about 95% that Heminway #75 was on the field at Friend's RT spot.

Yep. I saw him and Gifford on the field late in the game. I considered that garbage time though. Gifford on the left and Hemingway on the right.

Reaction Score
Of note on the sidelines as well, it looked like Cochran was in every coach's hip pocket most of the night with a headset on, and I think it was Driscoll right next to him doing the signals/decoys. I don't think I saw a headset on McEntee all night, so to me - if I'm right, that means that McEntee knows the offense cold, at least to the point, where he doesn't need to listen to the play calls in and out, and can watch and understand, and for a senior with his experience last year, it makes sense. A good backup to have.

Reaction Score
Yep. I saw him and Gifford on the field late in the game. I considered that garbage time though. Gifford on the left and Hemingway on the right.

Got it. I think that Friend was out of the game pretty early in the second half though, maybe they moved master's out to his spot, before the 4th, I will look at that when I watch. I don't think I saw Bennett moving around at all, but he was out of the game in teh second half off and on too.

Reaction Score
Of note on the sidelines as well, it looked like Cochran was in every coach's hip pocket most of the night with a headset on, and I think it was Driscoll right next to him doing the signals/decoys. I don't think I saw a headset on McEntee all night, so to me - if I'm right, that means that McEntee knows the offense cold, at least to the point, where he doesn't need to listen to the play calls in and out, and can watch and understand, and for a senior with his experience last year, it makes sense. A good backup to have.

I only saw this on the DVR this morning....but Cochran's mustache is fantastically terrible. Adam Morrison came to mind immediately.

Reaction Score

JM did not have headsets on at any time.

Reaction Score
Nice summary!

I may be in the minority but I like the wildcat and don't want to see it go away. I believe that McCombs is more of a weapon out of the wildcat due to the threat McCummings poses as a runner and the additional misdirection he creates. Maybe next week I'll try to keep track of TB rushing yardage in the wildcat vs pro sets.

Reaction Score
... and I saw the same table at Gate C over flowing with programs that frosty saw ... :D

Reaction Score
Nice summary!

I may be in the minority but I like the wildcat and don't want to see it go away. I believe that McCombs is more of a weapon out of the wildcat due to the threat McCummings poses as a runner and the additional misdirection he creates. Maybe next week I'll try to keep track of TB rushing yardage in the wildcat vs pro sets.

I don't want to abandon it and McCombs was much more effective yesterday and at times last year with McCummings in. I just wonder if each QB playing more consecutive plays wouldn't be better.

Reaction Score
Nice summary again BL. Not going to get into the details of the many areas I was overall pleased with but just a couple that were especially good and a slight concern from a few rows up in 241.

Overall a good performance where we didn't look totally confused. Best stuff:

Recievers going to get the ball and making plays after the catch. They weren't perfect but looked real good when they got the ball.
D was very good and I predicted the pick six from a mile away based on the situation. Hope to see more of those.
I LOVE that our FG unit looks good because if he stays on target it will be a difference maker in some close games. Very important.
Good snaps I think but maybe I missed something. Crucial.

Concern:

Same old complaint about the wildcat. Never crazy about it but if Scotty never throws it will be useless against better teams. It's a one-trick pony that will serve to hurt Whitmer's development and put him into third-and-throw situations where he feels tempted to force the ball in. I really don't like it and even less as it is being employed now.

Please take McCombs out at the end of a blowout. Redundant I know just like the above but why roll the dice at all. More reps for the other guys can't hurt.

That's it mostly good from the personnel side but some differences in philosophy for sure.

Reaction Score
As my son was an O-lineman here and is very good friends with both Jimmy Bennett and Adam Masters I pay pretty close attention to it by force of habit. They moved many lineman in and out throughout the game I believe prior to garbage time(last 2 drives) I believe 8 different players in various combinations were used. Bennett and Friend played OT to start and when some substitutions were made on the interior( Cruz and Bullock came in OG and C respectively) Masters moved to OT. Samra played sparingly until the very end and on the last drives Gifford and Hemmingway were in as well.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
I don't want to abandon it and McCombs was much more effective yesterday and at times last year with McCummings in. I just wonder if each QB playing more consecutive plays wouldn't be better.

Probably would have been better to for the QB's to play more but they also have to get used to coming in cold and executing.

I like the wildcat - gives the defense more to have to prepare for - and I don't think we showed much of what we can run out of it last night.

Reaction Score
As strange as it sounds, one of the best things that could have happened was Whitmer's first pick. My logic being that he will not make that same mistake again over the next 3 years and this was a game that was never going to be in doubt. Sometimes its just a good thing to make mistakes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom