The View From Section 241 | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241

Reaction Score
Not much to say. That was a horrific, horrific performance, especially on the defensive side of the ball. Reminiscent of last year. We didn't seem to care a lot, or if we did we aren't smart enough to put ourselves in a position to try to make plays. And, while I am one of the last people here to blame coaches for players not getting it done, the offensive play calling may have been as bad as I ever remember it being since moving to the Rent.

The team played like they were dead men walking. Which would be easier to take if, from a football perspective, I thought that attitude was irrational. But none of the play on the field, the coaching, the lack of support from students or other fans and the lack of announcements about future scheduling make me optimistic that my initial judgment on the effects the move to the Big East would have on the football program will prove to be incorrect.

Not much more to say.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Thanks Biz. Watched the game on TV. It was such a weird ebb and flow to the game. IIRC the 2nd quarter we were running at will, getting huge chunks behind pretty good blocking (bad USF D-line play?). But the regression of the D was almost imcomprehensible. Have the coaches lost the team? Sometimes it looked that way on Sat. Other times it seemed like good effort diminshed by limited talent/experience. Lack of agression in offensive play calling was really troubling and exasperating.

Reaction Score
Saturday's game was perhaps the most disheartening and discouraging loss of this 9 year slide into the abyss of FBS football. This was a team we should have hung with, maybe even beat. We absolutely needed a strong performance against USF and instead got arguably the worst overall performance of the year. The regression of the D, particularly against the run, was stunning. I still give us a chance against Mass and hopefully we get another one against ECU to end the season but we are facing blowout losses against the rest of the schedule. Playing Cincy on the road could be worse than the UCF debacle.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Not much to say. That was a horrific, horrific performance, especially on the defensive side of the ball. Reminiscent of last year. We didn't seem to care a lot, or if we did we aren't smart enough to put ourselves in a position to try to make plays. And, while I am one of the last people here to blame coaches for players not getting it done, the offensive play calling may have been as bad as I ever remember it being since moving to the Rent.

The team played like they were dead men walking. Which would be easier to take if, from a football perspective, I thought that attitude was irrational. But none of the play on the field, the coaching, the lack of support from students or other fans and the lack of announcements about future scheduling make me optimistic that my initial judgment on the effects the move to the Big East would have on the football program will prove to be incorrect.

Not much more to say.

To me the defense was much different from last year. Last year's D was so bad the Huskies weren't even in the TV picture for catches, runs and TD's all over the place. This year is more depressing. Players are nearby, in position to make tackles and defend passes, but they just aren't good enough.
Last year they were barely getting in position to make an arm tackle. This year, they are squared up and just getting bulldozed or run through. Same thing with DB's. Last year receivers ran free. This year, there are DB's in the picture but they can't defend a ball near them.
It's almost more depressing this year because you realize even when the players are nearby the ball, they aren't good enough to do anything about it.

Reaction Score
This year is more depressing. Players are nearby, in position to make tackles and defend passes, but they just aren't good enough.Last year they were barely getting in position to make an arm tackle. This year, they are squared up and just getting bulldozed or run through.

^^This^^

Reaction Score
Thanks Biz. Watched the game on TV. It was such a weird ebb and flow to the game. IIRC the 2nd quarter we were running at will, getting huge chunks behind pretty good blocking (bad USF D-line play?). But the regression of the D was almost imcomprehensible. Have the coaches lost the team? Sometimes it looked that way on Sat. Other times it seemed like good effort diminshed by limited talent/experience. Lack of agression in offensive play calling was really troubling and exasperating.

Actually, your point is very fair. Special teams and defense were horrific. The offense was merely poor to mediocre. But was good enough to have won a game if we played really well on the other side of the ball. See, e.g., 2015.

I do hear the folks saying the D is closer to not totally sucking than it was last year. I tend to agree with that over the course of the first five games. But the goal -- even a short term goal -- has to be better than not being the worst of all time.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
But none of the play on the field, the coaching, the lack of support from students or other fans and the lack of announcements about future scheduling make me optimistic that my initial judgment on the effects the move to the Big East would have on the football program will prove to be incorrect.
What would you be saying if the team put up that exact performance and there had never been a Big East announcement?

Reaction Score
The defense had a number of problems on Saturday. The D-Line was manhandled by USF. Then, it seemed the LBs were crashing into the line on run plays leaving no second level tacklers to stop the RBs which resulted in big runs. Also, USF's QB scrambling/running really killed the defense even though he was hobbled by injury.

In my opinion, the biggest problems UConn has is the development/experience of the O-line and D-line and the LBs.

On the O-line, look at the difference in size of the UConn's vs USF's average starter:

UConn: 6'5" 300 lbs.
USF: 6'4" 316 lbs.

The development issue is even greater with the 2nd string OLs:

UConn: 6'3" 293 lbs.
USF: 6'3" 317 lbs.

Now look at the DL. The rotation is essentially 1 Junior, 1 R-So, 4 So, 1 R-Fr, and 1 Fr. All of the Sophs in the rotation should really be R-Fr as they should have been redshirted their first year.

Next, look at the LBs. They are undersized and depth is lacking. Look at the difference in size of UConn's vs USF's average starter:

UConn: 6'0" 216 lbs
USF: 6'2" 231 lbs.

Honestly, I would start Kevon Jones at MLB as he has the size and tackling ability to improve the run defense.

Bottom line, the team needs more time to develop. Starting kids as true freshmen may be what UConn has to do, but the kids really aren't ready to compete. Let this sink in, UConn has one recruited player on the roster who has been on the team for 5 years. UConn needs 14 to 17 R-Srs every year to be competitive because UConn is a development program that does not attract 4 and 5 star recruits. Nobody wants to hear this, but development is UConn's biggest problem.

Reaction Score
Actually, your point is very fair. Special teams and defense were horrific. The offense was merely poor to mediocre. But was good enough to have won a game if we played really well on the other side of the ball. See, e.g., 2015.

I do hear the folks saying the D is closer to not totally sucking than it was last year. I tend to agree with that over the course of the first five games. But the goal -- even a short term goal -- has to be better than not being the worst of all time.
Have a look at the rushing yards allowed against a team that was averaging 50 rushing yards a game.

Have a look at the rushing yards gained -- against a team that could not stop the run.

UConn's gotta do something about their running game. I say put a fullback in the backfield. A fullback in the backfield hits the point of attack with a lot of kinetic energy. This semi-static blocking is not getting it done. Need some punch.

Reaction Score
The defense had a number of problems on Saturday. The D-Line was manhandled by USF. Then, it seemed the LBs were crashing into the line on run plays leaving no second level tacklers to stop the RBs which resulted in big runs. Also, USF's QB scrambling/running really killed the defense even though he was hobbled by injury.

In my opinion, the biggest problems UConn has is the development/experience of the O-line and D-line and the LBs.

On the O-line, look at the difference in size of the UConn's vs USF's average starter:

UConn: 6'5" 300 lbs.
USF: 6'4" 316 lbs.

The development issue is even greater with the 2nd string OLs:

UConn: 6'3" 293 lbs.
USF: 6'3" 317 lbs.

Now look at the DL. The rotation is essentially 1 Junior, 1 R-So, 4 So, 1 R-Fr, and 1 Fr. All of the Sophs in the rotation should really be R-Fr as they should have been redshirted their first year.

Next, look at the LBs. They are undersized and depth is lacking. Look at the difference in size of UConn's vs USF's average starter:

UConn: 6'0" 216 lbs
USF: 6'2" 231 lbs.

Honestly, I would start Kevon Jones at MLB as he has the size and tackling ability to improve the run defense.

Bottom line, the team needs more time to develop. Starting kids as true freshmen may be what UConn has to do, but the kids really aren't ready to compete. Let this sink in, UConn has one recruited player on the roster who has been on the team for 5 years. UConn needs 14 to 17 R-Srs every year to be competitive because UConn is a development program that does not attract 4 and 5 star recruits. Nobody wants to hear this, but development is UConn's biggest problem.
They are young and not good. They will get more experience and “hopefully” better

Reaction Score
Have a look at the rushing yards allowed against a team that was averaging 50 rushing yards a game.

Have a look at the rushing yards gained -- against a team that could not stop the run.

UConn's gotta do something about their running game. I say put a fullback in the backfield. A fullback in the backfield hits the point of attack with a lot of kinetic energy. This semi-static blocking is not getting it done. Need some punch.

Yes, the FB will be a beautiful centerpiece for the triple option.

Reaction Score
This year, they are squared up and just getting bulldozed or run through. Same thing with DB's.

But we were told that the players finally bought in, worked out like crazy and were stronger than ever. That Matt King brought energy and played music during workouts. The insiders said it would be different this year. They heard it from the player's families.

Reaction Score
They are young and not good. They will get more experience and “hopefully” better
Most UConn recruits would not be good freshmen year as they haven't developed. Look at Kendall Reyes' development:

FR: 6'4" 235 lbs.
R-FR: 6'4" 250 lbs.
R-SO: 6'4" 286 lbs.
R-JR: 6'4" 298 lbs.
R-SR: 6'4" 295 lbs.

How effective would Reyes have been as a true freshman? His last 2 years, he was at almost 300 lbs. If UConn had played him freshmen year, he would have missed that R-SR year.

The kids will get bigger and better every year they are in the program. That development is especially needed on the OL and DL.

Reaction Score
Kevon Jones was asked to start at LB as a true freshman. Albert Fincher redshirted. Mo Lloyd redshirted. Yawin Smallwood redshirted. Bama Wilson redshirted. Scott Lutrus redshirted. Sio Moore reshirted. And many of these guys then took some time to get into the lineup after taking the redshirt off.

I don't know that the program will be around long enough that it matters, and I will be the first to admit that HCRE2.0 hasn't given us any reason to think good things will happen. But if good things were to happen, you wouldn't expect to see many signs of it until guys he had recruited were in their third season. Which means that while no patience has been earned, it would nonetheless be required if we wanted to see true advancement.

Reaction Score
But we were told that the players finally bought in, worked out like crazy and were stronger than ever. That Matt King brought energy and played music during workouts. The insiders said it would be different this year. They heard it from the player's families.
This has been said every year and happens likely almost everywhere. Read an article about UMASS in August that basically said the same things. Focused, play as one, jimmies and Joes. It’s all rhetoric. They will get better. I mean they have to. How much?

Reaction Score
So far the highlight of the season is being able to hang with a bad Big Ten team long enough to lose by just one score. It's the only time we've looked like an actual FBS team.

Saturday was inexcusable. We stunk every which way. It's like any team with a speck of athletic talent runs rings around us.

Twenty straight losses to FBS schools. Incredible how far we've fallen. Hard to have any faith in the future of the program at this point.

Reaction Score
Most UConn recruits would not be good freshmen year as they haven't developed. Look at Kendall Reyes' development:

FR: 6'4" 235 lbs.
R-FR: 6'4" 250 lbs.
R-SO: 6'4" 286 lbs.
R-JR: 6'4" 298 lbs.
R-SR: 6'4" 295 lbs.

How effective would Reyes have been as a true freshman? His last 2 years, he was at almost 300 lbs. If UConn had played him freshmen year, he would have missed that R-SR year.

The kids will get bigger and better every year they are in the program. That development is especially needed on the OL and DL.
A lot of this has. to do with coaching change which often leads to kids fleeing for other opportunities. Which often leads the incoming coach with a less than ideal roster.

Reaction Score
A lot of this has. to do with coaching change which often leads to kids fleeing for other opportunities. Which often leads the incoming coach with a less than ideal roster.
The DL problems are due to Bob Diaco recruiting. Here are the classes:

2014:
Tom Rodrick - never made it to campus
James Atkins - contributor
Luke Carrezola - played 1 year at DE

2015:
Kevin Murphy - solid backup. Transferred for 2019.
David Ryslik - transferred after 1st year to Penn.
Felton Blackwell - booted from team 2nd season.
Phillipe Okounam - contributor. Didn’t return for 5th year.
Connor Freeborn - minor contributor. Didn’t return for 5th year.
Dallas Parker - suspended indefinitely after 1st season.

2016:
No DL recruits.

2017:
Caleb Thomas - Edsall recruit, starter.

So, Edsall had almost nothing to work with at DL when he came to UConn. Think about this, no DL recruits in 2016 and no DL commits when Edsall took over in late December 2016!

Diaco was a disaster and UConn is still feeling the pain.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

More than once on Saturday I was thinking how a Dion Anderson (I'm sure I spelled his first name wrong but I ain't looking it up) or Anthony Sherman would mitigate a lot of the faults of the offense. Both opening up holes in run game and shoring up pass protection.

Reaction Score
DL and LB are huge holes left by Diaco. Watts is learning quite a bit playing but not being in position to red shirt him hurts the program. The same with T Jones and Kevon Jones. I am sure the players want to play being competitors but matching up with the older opponents just beats them down with all the losing. Edsall has brought in talent but getting LB's that can impact the game is a huge need. Guys 6'2 to 6'4 235lbs which is another development project. Saturday's display of runs up the middle straight to the safety, DB's not turning their head as the ball is arriving, and inability to sack or contain the QB was a throwback to last season. The teams youth is still a huge factor here..

Reaction Score
DL and LB are huge holes left by Diaco. Watts is learning quite a bit playing but not being in position to red shirt him hurts the program. The same with T Jones and Kevon Jones. I am sure the players want to play being competitors but matching up with the older opponents just beats them down with all the losing. Edsall has brought in talent but getting LB's that can impact the game is a huge need. Guys 6'2 to 6'4 235lbs which is another development project. Saturday's display of runs up the middle straight to the safety, DB's not turning their head as the ball is arriving, and inability to sack or contain the QB was a throwback to last season. The teams youth is still a huge factor here..

That's exactly the way I see it. Diaco's recruiting was an all out disaster and on defense he left the front seven with nothing. I've never seen our LB play as poor as it's been the last two seasons including when we first made the jump to 1A. None of the guys we've had over the last two-three seasons would have sniffed the 2 deep several years ago with the possible exception of Joseph. I do think the Jones boys will be very good and could get a crack at the League.

Reaction Score
The DL problems are due to Bob Diaco recruiting. Here are the classes:

2014:
Tom Rodrick - never made it to campus
James Atkins - contributor
Luke Carrezola - played 1 year at DE

2015:
Kevin Murphy - solid backup. Transferred for 2019.
David Ryslik - transferred after 1st year to Penn.
Felton Blackwell - booted from team 2nd season.
Phillipe Okounam - contributor. Didn’t return for 5th year.
Connor Freeborn - minor contributor. Didn’t return for 5th year.
Dallas Parker - suspended indefinitely after 1st season.

2016:
No DL recruits.

RKGs

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul