The View From Section 241 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241

Reaction Score
Thanks Biz.

I agree the OL was not great, but for me it was the inability to run, especially on the right side. Pindell has exceptional pocket awareness, but the OL kept initial surges away from him.

In general, I think the offense will be pretty good this year and will win us a few games.

The defense is horrific. Now, it’s a bunch of toddlers, so it may get better, .but we have babies in the secondary and showed nothing and I mean nothing at LB. We bring not even one iota of pressure off the edge.

We’re in a tough spot. Boise could be worse than UCF.

Reaction Score
Syracuse could be as bad as Boise and UCF as well so the list grows. We lack physicality on D. Some of it is youth some of it is speed but leveling opponents and blowing up plays with big hits will be rare unfortunately.

Reaction Score
Another thought about the game that I had re-watching it this morning is where was Darrian Beavers? Uconn has not had an pass rush from the edge in years. Last year we saw a glimpse of a pass rush from a blitzing Beavers from time to time. I was hoping to see more of this year. Instead, Uconn went to four downline men against a pass happy UCF team. Other than James Atkins on a play or two, none of the lineman got anywhere close to Milton. It seem like we went big and slow rather than smaller and faster against a team that is all about speed.

Reaction Score
Another thought about the game that I had re-watching it this morning is where was Darrian Beavers? Uconn has not had an pass rush from the edge in years. Last year we saw a glimpse of a pass rush from a blitzing Beavers from time to time. I was hoping to see more of this year. Instead, Uconn went to four downline men against a pass happy UCF team. Other than James Atkins on a play or two, none of the lineman got anywhere close to Milton. It seem like we went big and slow rather than smaller and faster against a team that is all about speed.

They had no trouble outrunning us downfield and they had no trouble just destroying us at the line of scrimmage. When they had the ball they were better, faster, stronger and more experienced. There was nothing we were going to do that was going to stop them on a good day. We won't be the only team they hang 50 on either.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Other than not having a defensive player within 15 yards of any UCF receiver, it wasn't a horrible game.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
that's just not even true though
I saw a lot of UCF receivers playing against air.

I've never played a down of football, but I've watched football (college and pro) every weekend since the early 1970's. IMHO, our most glaring weakness was the inability to cover their receivers. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm sure there are people here who know the X's and O's better than me.

Reaction Score
I saw a lot of UCF receivers playing against air.

I've never played a down of football, but I've watched football (college and pro) every weekend since the early 1970's. IMHO, our most glaring weakness was the inability to cover their receivers. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm sure there are people here who know the X's and O's better than me.
if you were talking about last year, sure. but most of the TD's and big plays were actually covered this time, just covered poorly.

Reaction Score
Syracuse could be as bad as Boise and UCF as well so the list grows.
C'mon, take the positive. Within the first 4 games, UConn's young pups may have faced 3 of this season's opponents' best QBs, obtained some actual game experience, learned some quality lessons, etc. ;)

Reaction Score
if you were talking about last year, sure. but most of the TD's and big plays were actually covered this time, just covered poorly.
I agree with you here. Paul got eaten alive, but he was on his guy almost every time... just couldn't make the plays.

The only consistent issue I saw with the coverage were leak outs by the running backs. They were left unchecked out of the backfield far too often and burned us every time.

It also didn't help that Milton didn't make a bad throw all night. We won't see another quarterback like that (except maybe the Boise kid) for the rest of the year.

Reaction Score
I agree with you here. Paul got eaten alive, but he was on his guy almost every time... just couldn't make the plays.

The only consistent issue I saw with the coverage were leak outs by the running backs. They were left unchecked out of the backfield far too often and burned us every time.

It also didn't help that Milton didn't make a bad throw all night. We won't see another quarterback like that (except maybe the Boise kid) for the rest of the year.
That leak out play led to a 5 yard touchdown pass where neither Herring-Wilson nor Eli Thomas got anywhere near the running back. The other time that I remember seeing was from about 50 yards out and that time no one in the secondary played it well. The running back went untouched for a 50 yard touchdown pass. At least on the touchdown passes and the pass interference calls on Paul, he was there battling the the receiver. I think people should withhold judgement on Paul for awhile. Only time will tell ,but he may turn out to be a keeper. He looks to me to have the size and the speed to play at this level. I'm not sure that was true with some of the kids we have seen in the last 2 years here.

Reaction Score
I think I will try to do these more regularly again, but they will be shorter. First, because this team just isn't worthy of the depth I used to provide. But more importantly, we are playing so many players that I have so little knowledge of that I can't even keep track of the defensive personnel at the moment.

What did we learn last night? Well, we learned that the incredible one year drop in season ticket sales didn't really effect how the stadium looked. Thank goodness. And that the students did care enough to come out. Thank goodness. But I don't know that we learned a whole lot about our football team. That is the best team we will play all year. That may be one of the best offensive teams in the country. And there was no reason to think we were going to be prepared and/or able to stop them. Spoiler alert -- we weren't.

I think the offense showed some potential. Certainly, many of the stats were promising. Pindell had a truly special game running the ball, with a confidence and a burst that I just didn't see last year. And a lot of passes were completed with a lot of open receivers running around and few drops. Frankly, the only issue with the O's overall performance yesterday was the three turnovers. Kudos for the staff for getting Pindell and receivers into space, and for remembering that you can throw to TEs, which we lost last year. But, there were also a lot of worrisome signs. I thought the OL underperformed. To my eye, Peart especially looked lost on the right side, which surprised me. And, as good as Pindell was, if we can't run the ball with TBs, and we can't throw deep from the pocket, by the time we get to Syracuse defenses will adjust and do better against what we did last night. Also, if you go back to vintage Edsall, we used to be great at turning total yardage into points. We used to specialize in getting 20 to 24 out of 310 total yards. To be in the high 400s, and only put up 17, won't cut it.

Special teams didn't play a big role, but were at least even against a good team. Tarbutt didn't look himself on KOs, but drilled his one FG opportunity that would have been good from 55 easy. The Aussie punter looked fine, as did both coverage and returns.

But then we get to the crux of the matter on D. A rational person would not have thought that we could have even slowed down their O. We couldn't. We played slower, and we were weaker up the middle, and no amount of scheming or substitutions was going to change that. As this is by far the best offense we'll play, and maybe one of the best in the country, I'm not worried about it. How bad will we be on D this year? Don't know. We may not know until the Syracuse game. But there was no reason to think we were getting the D up to anywhere near average this year coming into the UCF game, and nothing last night changed that.

So that's where we are. The building project won't be culminated this year. Dunn seems to be a competent replacement for Lashlee. The OL needs to be much better, both to finish drives and so Pindell lasts a season. And the D won't be miraculously fixed this year, although it's way too early to know if it will be marginally better or marginally worse. We will see. All we can do as fans is keep writing checks, keep showing up and be patient. As hard as it is to continue patience in the eighth year of sucking.
Spot on... Offense showed some spark. Defense looked lost.
Overall I think edsall is making progress. This wasn't the game where it would be completely evident.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Thanks for the write-up
Central Florida is just beginning to embarrass teams starting with UConn
Lots of what everyone is writing here in reflection of Thursday's game will be echoed by every school UCF plays.
Good chance for 2 unbeaten seasons in a row - their offense is better than last year

Reaction Score
Dunn had a really good feel for when to call the QB draw. I think it went for a big gain every time he called it except once
Yup, they sniffed it out for a loss. But that is OK, the others worked.

Reaction Score
He did turn, just a hair too late.
Yup, one step too late which was on him because they were almost out of bounds. Shoulda known a step earlier he had to turn.

Reaction Score
Thought Van Demark's protection was OK. Got knocked back but he stayed on his blocks. Guessing they keyed on Peart which is why UConn did not run well to the right. Next time I will bring binoculars.

Reaction Score
That leak out play led to a 5 yard touchdown pass where neither Herring-Wilson nor Eli Thomas got anywhere near the running back. The other time that I remember seeing was from about 50 yards out and that time no one in the secondary played it well. The running back went untouched for a 50 yard touchdown pass. At least on the touchdown passes and the pass interference calls on Paul, he was there battling the the receiver. I think people should withhold judgement on Paul for awhile. Only time will tell ,but he may turn out to be a keeper. He looks to me to have the size and the speed to play at this level. I'm not sure that was true with some of the kids we have seen in the last 2 years here.
For the record, I don’t blame Paul. I hope he turns out to be a good player, but Milton took advantage of him. He’ll get better in time.

Reaction Score
I don’t blame Paul but Milton took advantage of him.
Boise certainly noticed and he'll be targeted early and often. Hopefully he'll have learned from his inaugural effort vs UCF and improve his technique--but a factor was that Milton put balls in perfect spots for his receivers. Not sure Rypien can replicate that. Nevertheless, Paul's backup Ryan Carroll better be ready.

Reaction Score
I know we announced a 23K attendance, but for anyone who attended the game, how many people do you think were actually there? It looked pretty good on TV.

Reaction Score
Syracuse could be as bad as Boise and UCF as well so the list grows. We lack physicality on D. Some of it is youth some of it is speed but leveling opponents and blowing up plays with big hits will be rare unfortunately.
You can thank our DC for that. With exception of a few hits I can can count of one hand, this D is not bringing the wood. There is very little aggression or basic football aggresion on display. You can’t play D unless your are intrinsically motivated to want to blow-up people. You got to want to hunt down opponents like animals and friggin take them down. F the “do your job” nonesense. Doing your job is about going through the motions. It should be about making friggin plays. Rapid animals gang tackling, hunting your opponent, mentally and physically dominating them. None of the mentality is present.

The composition of the D is weak in its mentality and physicality. Thank our DC whose smarter than everybody else in FBS (with zero FBS experience) with his “tween” theory and getting his kicked week in and out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom