The View From Section 241 -- Preseason | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241 -- Preseason

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Our QB's need to avoid sacks which for us are complete drive killers. Jack Zergiotis in as a freshman struggled with this and Steven Krajewski really never got enough time to show his ability to avoid this mistake. Throw it, run it or throw it away!. The decision making speed has to speed up.
The o- line needs to give them a little time.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Overall a good take by businesslawyer but I disagree with two points:

1) BL understates how bad the defense was in 2018 and 2019. In fact, it was less a defense than 11 guys dressed the same that were milling about the field. They were not even slowing the opposing offenses down.

2) I didn’t like Edsall 1.0 and I don’t like 2.0 any better. I think Edsall is a fossil in a sport that has changed so much the last 10 years. The recruiting is decent, but we need to be loading up on transfers instead of making insulting generalizations about kids that might want to come here.

Reaction Score
We are a developmental program, period. We want kids in the program for 5 years. We want to build a culture. That’s hard to do with transfers. We are not going to see an influx. More Venns, less 1-2 year rentals.

I’d like a lot of things that won’t happen. Constantly talking about them won’t make them happen.

Reaction Score
Overall a good take by businesslawyer but I disagree with two points:

1) BL understates how bad the defense was in 2018 and 2019. In fact, it was less a defense than 11 guys dressed the same that were milling about the field. They were not even slowing the opposing offenses down.

2) I didn’t like Edsall 1.0 and I don’t like 2.0 any better. I think Edsall is a fossil in a sport that has changed so much the last 10 years. The recruiting is decent, but we need to be loading up on transfers instead of making insulting generalizations about kids that might want to come here.

LOL. Nothing more needs to be said about the defense in 2018 other than that I said it was the worst college football defense of all time, probably by a lot, and yet I have no issue with Nelson saying I understated the scope of the problem.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
LOL. Nothing more needs to be said about the defense in 2018 other than that I said it was the worst college football defense of all time, probably by a lot, and yet I have no issue with Nelson saying I understated the scope of the problem.

The stats don't tell the whole story. I think it took being the the stadium to realize how many opposing receivers were wide open on every possession. Or how big the holes were on running plays. That 2018 UConn defense may be the worst FBS defense that there will ever be.

Reaction Score
Just to add: Zergiotis also broke his leg and couldn't practice before coming to UConn- so we can add that to everything else. If he has learned how to read defenses especially near the red zone, we will have something here.

I judged my opinions on the eye test. Seeing how much bigger and stronger the kids were, told me about their commitment to turning this around. How few key players left is another important key. We have a very good DC who can now do more with better players and if the O line is decent, Giufre can do more as well.

I have been saying 7 wins consistently over the last few months. Seeing how RE V1 jelled up close as the talent level increased, this has the same feeling. Fresno might be an issue but by Purdue, I expect us to really turn it on.

How are we feeling about 7 wins?

Reaction Score
We waited 2 years to realize we don’t even remotely have a returning QB to play. I liked the freshman from Bridgeport in the practices Chief saw and I would just bite the bullet and go with him. I think he’s too much of an open up the offense guy for Randy’s tastes. But, hopefully Randy is desperate now and does something out of character.

Reaction Score
We waited 2 years to realize we don’t even remotely have a returning QB to play. I liked the freshman from Bridgeport in the practices Chief saw and I would just bite the bullet and go with him. I think he’s too much of an open up the offense guy for Randy’s tastes. But, hopefully Randy is desperate now and does something out of character.
As in Tyler Phommachanh???? How many practices have you watched??????

Reaction Score
As in Tyler Phommachanh???? How many practices have you watched??????
I know Randy doesn’t feel he’s seasoned and he’s buried on the depth chart as a freshman, etc. I think he could potentially give us another dimension with his legs and he can make deep throws.

Reaction Score
For what its worth, Tyler Phommachanh looked far behind Steve Krajewski and Jack Zergiotis in the open practice which is more than understandable since he is only a freshman. I don't think he is the answer for all that ails our offensive this year. A better offensive plan that best utilizes the talent on the team is going to be the answer this year. I would prefer to see Tyler get a red shirted this year. Maybe next year we will have a new OC that will take advantage of the skills that Tyler has.

Reaction Score
I am curious as to what happened to ML. Is he not good enough? Or is it something else? Somehow I suspect the latter.

Reaction Score
Am big UC BB but am pulling for FB to make it. Had a lot of fun at the Rent back in the day.

Reaction Score
I am curious as to what happened to ML. Is he not good enough? Or is it something else? Somehow I suspect the latter.
He pulled his shoulder a few weeks ago in practice and is getting better.. maybe he will start this season. I don’t know what to think. This QB group is a problem.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
In the spring and summer practices my guy Tyler Phommachanh showed he wasn't ready for prime time. That doesn't mean his time won't come, but putting Tyler Phommachanh in now while Jack Zergiotis, Steven Krajewski and ML are healthy would be a Diaco type desperation move. Maybe (hopefully) a lot will start clicking for Tyler Phommachanh this fall, but as of today he is not yet the guy. If we are winless going into November, then maybe - perhaps - you put Tyler Phommachanh in for the last three games...provided he has been improving during practice.

One thing that is clear about Tyler Phommachanh is that he does has have quick twitch ability for yards with his legs. Unclear to me if he knows how to protect his body during scrambles which would be particularly important for a guy with a smaller frame like his.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom