The View From Section 241 -- Cincy | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241 -- Cincy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Well, that was pretty clearly our best 60 minutes of the year. But does anyone really have a reason to think that we don't have a better game in our system than that one? If we play exactly like we did against Cincy but: (I) we actually go plus 1 or plus 2 in turnover margin, which has to happen eventually; (ii) we actually score first (o.k., that doesn't have to happen eventually but one can dream); (iii) Arkeel, now ready to have a second half of a season, doesn't get himself suspended for 15 minutes; and (iv) Shirreffs plays well for a whole game, and not just a half, we're going to be at another level. Flaws and all. I don't expect us to go 5-1 the rest of the way. I don't expect us to be able to contain USF's offense and I don't think we're good or consistent enough to run off 5 straight then. But 4-2 is absolutely possible, and less than 3-3 will be very disappointing. What happened this week? I don't think it was as much coaching improvement as some wrote. Just as one example, if you didn't know we were running Thomas on a jet sweep on the first play from that formation, you don't watch us enough. But we played better. The OL, with Hopkins back at LG, clearly had its best game of the year, both running and pass protecting. CAn we keep doing that? Can we be better? Arkeel looked like last year's Arkeel. And we moved the ball. On D, it was unthinkable coming off last year that Jamar Summers would be moved from corner, but between him being burned two straight games and Watkins just not looking up to the weak side safety spot, we move Jamar over, start John Green after 4 and 1/2 years on the bench and the defense clicks. Everyone, coaches and players contributes, and it's hard not to be more optimistic moving forward. Except for the crowd. For that part of the season, with a team struggling but competitive and a decent opponent, that was pitiful.

On offense, shout out to Thompson, the walk-on from Shelton, who got to start and get a carry early on, and looked o.k. With the ball in his hands. That is not only a thrill for him, but allowed us to not burn a redshirt. Shout out to Beals, who I never figured would play so little the last year plus after his start against Army and Nova last year. has only gotten a few snaps a game and few targets this year. But he has a chance to make a play to get us back in the game, he makes it, and we're back in a game with momentum swung. Shout out to Ron Johnson, who easily could have sulked when Thompson started over him with Arkeel being suspended for the start of the game, but instead was much better in pass protection and did his job on his four carries. Shout out to Arkeel, who gave us what we needed from him. And from Shirreffs, who shook off a very poor first half and was tremendous on all levels in the second. And shout out to the OL, that had the best game as a unit it's had in a very, very, very long time. I give the coaches credit for helping the team get better, but I don't think it was play calling that was the difference. We scored because people made plays on two long TDs. We still were 0-2 in the red zone, and fought with some of the clock management issues at the end of the game (like not running the clock all the way down on the drive when we pushed the lead to 11). It isn't all play calling when we lose, and it's not all play calling when we win.

On defense, I thought Diggs was just terrific. John Green didn't look great, but he did his job pretty consistently, and credit to the young man to finally get his number called so late in his career but to be ready. Kudos to Cole Ormsby, who I think was as good as I've seen him. And Kudos to Levenberry, who I think played the whole second half when Joseph got hurt in the first. Joseph is clearly our leader on D, and hits like a truck, but Levenberry is without doubt faster and I thought played his best game as a Husky. The run defense was so spectacular that it's not even clear what you can say about it, but it will be interesting to see if they can dominate USF at the line of scrimmage like that. And, while we had to blitz more to do it, we got to the QB consistently, and hit him a lot, and it showed.

Specials was solid against. You have to like Bobby Puyol's attitude. After missing the 52 yarder in the first half, which I thought was out of his range, I saw him drill at least 3 of them in a row warming up from the spot before the 2d half. And muttering to himself that he couldn't believe he missed it during the game. Coverages were very good. Lemelle looks much more comfortable catching the punts.

So that's it. This will be tough Saturday night, but it will be the one game against a team truly better than us remaining. For all Diaco's warts -- and there are many -- this team is getting better, and I really hope to see continued improvement over the second half of the season. Not for in game management to be better, but I'll trade better OL play for that every day. And hopefully, more folks will get their butts in the seat for homecoming.l

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The wind was suprisingly tame throughout the day - but it was seemingly at it's strongest right when they tried Puyol from 52.

Reaction Score
Had to laugh at first play reaction. We said the same thing out loud. Nice job, as usual.

Reaction Score
Couple of points. There was a coaching move. We definitely threw he ball down the field more often an earlier than previous games. In the past we only increased our passing and used the whole field after we were in bad shape especially versus Navy an Syracuse. Against Cinny it was calculated and it worked. It opened up the Cinny defense. They couldn't crowd the line like our other opponents. So the staff deserves credit.

The change on defense was significant. I hate to say it but the defense looked faster and better after Joseph went out. Levenberry brings much more and we have to figure out how to get him on the field.

Oh BTW, we had two INTs and still won. I'm tempted to say we won because of the INTs but that's not true. But throwing the ball more aggressively changed the offensive attitude. The offense got into a rhythm and that was directly related to playing looser and more aggressively.

Reaction Score
IMHO the best player on the field should get the ball, to me that is Thomas not Arkeel We should use the pass to get some of those defenders out of the box and that will open the run game some and we can be balanced. I am not sure we need to be aggressive throwing the ball downfield all the time, but let's do what we need to do to stop teams from overloading on the run.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Most teams improve over the course of the season, so I don't think the team is getting better so much as I think UConn has a solid team and can succeed against its schedule, but needs its coach to stop self-destructing. There will be more Cincinnati games this year, and there will be more Navy games this year.

Reaction Score
Sure ... let's not get a thread without a dig against our coach self-destructing.

I am pleased. Why? Because Diaco ... and possibly the staff ... has learned and grown over the course of 5 games into a solid construct. I feared that the damn guy was just too pig-headed on his own perfect mindset of what a Defense should be. I believe, with John Green in, we looked far better - kid had like 7 tackles as well. (and I didn't believe in Watkins - always a tip late). I do think we have offensive playmakers: Us Thomas as much as you like; but then you can work 4 other kids into the gameplan. Mayala has been impressive; and now Beals. Myers hasn't had any targets and we seem to have forgotten Bloom & Davis.

Reaction Score
I've said before that sometimes teams just click at some point and I hope Saturday was one of those times for us. Doesn't mean we are will go unbeaten the rest of the way but I could mean we play much better football. I thought our game with USF last year was an example where we saw a team turn it around in the 2nd half and really play better the rest of the year. You could make the case that UConn had one of those moments in 2010 and earlier in 2002 in the Vandy game even though the lost where they figured out that they could compete.

Reaction Score
Couple of points. There was a coaching move. We definitely threw he ball down the field more often an earlier than previous games. In the past we only increased our passing and used the whole field after we were in bad shape especially versus Navy an Syracuse. Against Cinny it was calculated and it worked. It opened up the Cinny defense. They couldn't crowd the line like our other opponents. So the staff deserves credit.

The change on defense was significant. I hate to say it but the defense looked faster and better after Joseph went out. Levenberry brings much more and we have to figure out how to get him on the field.

Oh BTW, we had two INTs and still won. I'm tempted to say we won because of the INTs but that's not true. But throwing the ball more aggressively changed the offensive attitude. The offense got into a rhythm and that was directly related to playing looser and more aggressively.
Changed the offensive attitude, and forced the defense of Cincinnati to account for the passing game. That run by Arkeel in the 4th was a reflection of that.

Also we got fortunate to get the benefit of some crucial pass interference calls. Your not getting those calls if you don't take shots over the top.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Noticed the same thing about Puyol too. My brother and I were even talking about it during halftime while watching him drill every last one from the same spot.

To add one more "shout out", I thought Robinson played well at nickel corner when they shifted Summers back to FS. I don't know if they made that change out of injury necessity (Summers got banged up in the 1H) or if it was worked on in practice because of the last few difficult weeks, but I thought both did well after the switch was made.

Completely agree about Ormsby and Diggs. Diggs seems to be our emotional leader on D. Very fired up and brings energy even when there isn't any from the stands. Love that. He was a very good "first get" for this coaching staff to steal him from Ball St.

I love the way that Thomas' emergence has opened up the field and allowed guys like Mayala and Beals to develop into very capable and explosive playmakers. Thomas was under single coverage for some of the game but when he attracts safety eyes, it opens up so much more of the field.

And kudos to the OL - by far their best game of the season. We will live and die with the OL. Not surprising that we put up out best offensive output of the season with an opened up playbook on a day that the OL played very well.

Reaction Score
I've said before that sometimes teams just click at some point and I hope Saturday was one of those times for us. Doesn't mean we are will go unbeaten the rest of the way but I could mean we play much better football. I thought our game with USF last year was an example where we saw a team turn it around in the 2nd half and really play better the rest of the year. You could make the case that UConn had one of those moments in 2010 and earlier in 2002 in the Vandy game even though the lost where they figured out that they could compete.
Didn't the BCS year start out below expectations and end with 5 wins. Going off memory but I seem to recall frustration after being ranked in the top 25 and then falling out.

Reaction Score
Noticed the same thing about Puyol too. My brother and I were even talking about it during halftime while watching him drill every last one from the same spot.

To add one more "shout out", I thought Robinson played well at nickel corner when they shifted Summers back to FS. I don't know if they made that change out of injury necessity (Summers got banged up in the 1H) or if it was worked on in practice because of the last few difficult weeks, but I thought both did well after the switch was made.

Completely agree about Ormsby and Diggs. Diggs seems to be our emotional leader on D. Very fired up and brings energy even when there isn't any from the stands. Love that. He was a very good "first get" for this coaching staff to steal him from Ball St.

I love the way that Thomas' emergence has opened up the field and allowed guys like Mayala and Beals to develop into very capable and explosive playmakers. Thomas was under single coverage for some of the game but when he attracts safety eyes, it opens up so much more of the field.

And kudos to the OL - by far their best game of the season. We will live and die with the OL. Not surprising that we put up out best offensive output of the season with an opened up playbook on a day that the OL played very well.

I should have mentioned John Robinson IV. Played plenty as the nickel and did fine.

Reaction Score
Great analysis!

Hard to see us beating USF on the road. But, at the very least, we need to show continued progress.

Reaction Score
to those here still bashing the coaches: 1. the team has never stopped fighting for the staff which clearly you could see when cincy started losing momentum they lost focus, 2. that was our best coached game since they've gotten here. we dont have the most talented team and thats fairly clear so it takes time to figure out how to build a game plan around the players. the end of game stuff and clock issues are all on the coaches and they need to clean it up but the game plan just hasn't been executed in a few of the losses. give it up

Reaction Score
Oh BTW, we had two INTs and still won. I'm tempted to say we won because of the INTs but that's not true..

Shouldn't even be tempted to say that, the interceptions hurt big time. If the defense doesn't play their best game of the year, coming up big in the red zone, and getting an interception before the half of their own, we are being blown out at halftime

Reaction Score
Our best game for sure but we were fortunate in several respects including:
1) some questionable/bad PI calls against Cincy to keep drives alive
2) Johnson's fumble being ruled not a fumble (sure looked to me like the ball was out)
3) Green being beaten in the end zone (but the ball was slightly overthrown)
4) BS throwing a couple into tight coverage that could have been picked

Aside from the improved OLine play I was most impressed by the third and 10+ conversions to Thomas and the BIG PLAYS by AN and TB/BS. That's two games in a row where the O has made at least one really big play covering 50+ yards. I can see 3-3, maybe 4-2 the rest of the way but only if we continue to improve. If we don't continue to improve 1-5 or 2-4 are possible and if that's the case we better get a W against BC or I will descend into a major funk starting on Nov 19.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
So... the offense gets shout-outs, and the defense gets kudos?

41nDniI3rEL.jpg

C

Chief00

Well, that was pretty clearly our best 60 minutes of the year. But does anyone really have a reason to think that we don't have a better game in our system than that one? If we play exactly like we did against Cincy but: (I) we actually go plus 1 or plus 2 in turnover margin, which has to happen eventually; (ii) we actually score first (o.k., that doesn't have to happen eventually but one can dream); (iii) Arkeel, now ready to have a second half of a season, doesn't get himself suspended for 15 minutes; and (iv) Shirreffs plays well for a whole game, and not just a half, we're going to be at another level. Flaws and all. I don't expect us to go 5-1 the rest of the way. I don't expect us to be able to contain USF's offense and I don't think we're good or consistent enough to run off 5 straight then. But 4-2 is absolutely possible, and less than 3-3 will be very disappointing. What happened this week? I don't think it was as much coaching improvement as some wrote. Just as one example, if you didn't know we were running Thomas on a jet sweep on the first play from that formation, you don't watch us enough. But we played better. The OL, with Hopkins back at LG, clearly had its best game of the year, both running and pass protecting. CAn we keep doing that? Can we be better? Arkeel looked like last year's Arkeel. And we moved the ball. On D, it was unthinkable coming off last year that Jamar Summers would be moved from corner, but between him being burned two straight games and Watkins just not looking up to the weak side safety spot, we move Jamar over, start John Green after 4 and 1/2 years on the bench and the defense clicks. Everyone, coaches and players contributes, and it's hard not to be more optimistic moving forward. Except for the crowd. For that part of the season, with a team struggling but competitive and a decent opponent, that was pitiful.

On offense, shout out to Thompson, the walk-on from Shelton, who got to start and get a carry early on, and looked o.k. With the ball in his hands. That is not only a thrill for him, but allowed us to not burn a redshirt. Shout out to Beals, who I never figured would play so little the last year plus after his start against Army and Nova last year. has only gotten a few snaps a game and few targets this year. But he has a chance to make a play to get us back in the game, he makes it, and we're back in a game with momentum swung. Shout out to Ron Johnson, who easily could have sulked when Thompson started over him with Arkeel being suspended for the start of the game, but instead was much better in pass protection and did his job on his four carries. Shout out to Arkeel, who gave us what we needed from him. And from Shirreffs, who shook off a very poor first half and was tremendous on all levels in the second. And shout out to the OL, that had the best game as a unit it's had in a very, very, very long time. I give the coaches credit for helping the team get better, but I don't think it was play calling that was the difference. We scored because people made plays on two long TDs. We still were 0-2 in the red zone, and fought with some of the clock management issues at the end of the game (like not running the clock all the way down on the drive when we pushed the lead to 11). It isn't all play calling when we lose, and it's not all play calling when we win.

On defense, I thought Diggs was just terrific. John Green didn't look great, but he did his job pretty consistently, and credit to the young man to finally get his number called so late in his career but to be ready. Kudos to Cole Ormsby, who I think was as good as I've seen him. And Kudos to Levenberry, who I think played the whole second half when Joseph got hurt in the first. Joseph is clearly our leader on D, and hits like a truck, but Levenberry is without doubt faster and I thought played his best game as a Husky. The run defense was so spectacular that it's not even clear what you can say about it, but it will be interesting to see if they can dominate USF at the line of scrimmage like that. And, while we had to blitz more to do it, we got to the QB consistently, and hit him a lot, and it showed.

Specials was solid against. You have to like Bobby Puyol's attitude. After missing the 52 yarder in the first half, which I thought was out of his range, I saw him drill at least 3 of them in a row warming up from the spot before the 2d half. And muttering to himself that he couldn't believe he missed it during the game. Coverages were very good. Lemelle looks much more comfortable catching the punts.

So that's it. This will be tough Saturday night, but it will be the one game against a team truly better than us remaining. For all Diaco's warts -- and there are many -- this team is getting better, and I really hope to see continued improvement over the second half of the season. Not for in game management to be better, but I'll trade better OL play for that every day. And hopefully, more folks will get their butts in the seat for homecoming.l

I think Diggs is one of three possible NFL players with Thomas and Foley F.

Reaction Score
Agree with Biz on our overall improvement but we also need to reflect on several easy dropped passes by Cincy that finished off their drives and gave us the ball. In my view the play of the year was the Obi interception. Without it Cincy likely marches to a 12-0 halftime lead.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Agree with Biz on our overall improvement but we also need to reflect on several easy dropped passes by Cincy that finished off their drives and gave us the ball. In my view the play of the year was the Obi interception. Without it Cincy likely marches to a 12-0 halftime lead.

And the PI penalties helped the drives...

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I think Diggs is one of three possible NFL players with Thomas and Foley F.
Summers, Obi should garner interest and Myers has a shot. Peart is moving in the right direction and is probably already our second best underclassman prospect. Carrezolla is moving in the right direction as well, needs to be more disruptive though. This team has NFL talent.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Look forward every week to this post it gives me hope that we're not that s4itty and we can get better thanks BL

Reaction Score

Like we did against Virginia, we had a high number of "fortunate" breaks. I don't like having to rely on those in order to win games, but that's who we apparently are at this point . . .

C

Chief00

Summers, Obi should garner interest and Myers has a shot. Peart is moving in the right direction and is probably already our second best underclassman prospect. Carrezolla is moving in the right direction as well, needs to be more disruptive though. This team has NFL talent.

I like Peart, I have never been high on Obi but admit coaches from P to Diaco are impressed by him. Summers I like but he appears to be vulnerable in coverage against elite receivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom