The View From Section 241 -- Army | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241 -- Army

Status
Not open for further replies.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Maybe I'm just stereotyping big RB vs little RB, but I would have thought RJ would not be the guy more prone to ankle/shoelace tackling near the LOS. Maybe Arkeel is able to fight in smaller gaps? Or the OL schemes were not suited to Johnson against Army for some reason?

Reaction Score
Strictly on Arkeel Newsome, I thought we are seeing far more patience. Sure he is a great quick scatback; he needs to watch for the hole to open and then scoot through quickly. Perhaps that is the difference from week 1 where he got gobsmacked at the line. He just needs a small opening.

Reaction Score
Last year, was about enduring the pain no matter what. This year it's about enjoying the ride no matter what. We are turning the corner back toward competency, no small feat given how bad things were the last 2 years.

Missouri may be ripe for the picking. If they have issues running the ball, our D can make them one dimensional. I didn't know about their RB issues. Their D is very good, but AK State did some nice things against them.

Whatever the case, we're playing a nationally televised game, on a major network during a prime slot, against a ranked opponent. That is progress. 0-2, or even 1-1, and maybe we don't get that spot.

Reaction Score
Strictly on Arkeel Newsome, I thought we are seeing far more patience. Sure he is a great quick scatback; he needs to watch for the hole to open and then scoot through quickly. Perhaps that is the difference from week 1 where he got gobsmacked at the line. He just needs a small opening.
I also think he is just gaining confidence on what he could do on this level. If you saw this kid in HS, his vision was exceptional and his subtle cuts were devestating to defenders. I think the best is yet to come from him this year.

He did get wishboned pretty good when he came up limping. Hope he is ok and doesn't have a groin issue.

Reaction Score
Intersting observation on Obi, and the penalty followed by the Army explosion play. I bet you nailed what happened. Thanks for write up BL

Reaction Score
Maybe I'm just stereotyping big RB vs little RB, but I would have thought RJ would not be the guy more prone to ankle/shoelace tackling near the LOS. Maybe Arkeel is able to fight in smaller gaps? Or the OL schemes were not suited to Johnson against Army for some reason?

Much has been made of Johnson running so many stretch plays. I don't care how big or strong you are, if you're standing still and not running downhill you're going to go down unless you can evade tacklers with quickness. Johnson isn't one to make quick cuts, so he became easy to tackle if he couldn't identify a hole to run through.

Reaction Score
Much has been made of Johnson running so many stretch plays. I don't care how big or strong you are, if you're standing still and not running downhill you're going to go down unless you can evade tacklers with quickness. Johnson isn't one to make quick cuts, so he became easy to tackle if he couldn't identify a hole to run through.

The strength of the Army D was the inside linebackers. Johnson was going downhill against Villanova's D.

Game plan decision imo.

Reaction Score
I thought this was a good win. Really though for the second week in a row we let a team back in the game late when it should have been over. Can't keep doing that. Shirreffs is the most competent quarterback we've had in a while. He is a really cool customer back there. A few times I noticed he stood in and made throws knowing he'd get hit. If memory serves the play to Beals was one. No happy feet which you sometimes see with guys who are runners.

I think Mizzou is a bridge to far but I think we are moving in the right direction.

Reaction Score
The strength of the Army D was the inside linebackers. Johnson was going downhill against Villanova's D.

Game plan decision imo.

I agree, but you can play power football on the edges, as opposed to the stretch plays that they featured. That just doesn't play to Johnson's strengths, particularly when the line isn't particularly adept at opening holes.

Reaction Score
I agree, but you can play power football on the edges, as opposed to the stretch plays that they featured. That just doesn't play to Johnson's strengths, particularly when the line isn't particularly adept at opening holes.

Would make sense then, that they went to Newsome later in the game to stick with game plan, if my thoughts are on track.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I re-watched the game this morning (Thanks, tcf15 and UConnhuskygames.com). Looks like sportsmanship is high on the Officials' priority list this year. Melifonwu's taunting penalty was deserved. He stood over the Cadet and presumably was jawing at him. That HAS GOT to stop. That's two in two games. Can't have it. However, besides that penalty and the missed INT (which wasn't really a miss. He got beat), Obi played well, as did Adams (aside from his missed tackle). UConn was dominating the 2nd half. Get rid of those mistakes and Army scores 3 points.

As I said, Army's first TD was as preventable as their second. It was a combo of good blocking by Army and a bad wiff by Adams.

Two missed PAT's in two games. Nightmares of Matt Nuzie are dancing in my head. Though this one was on interior line.

Diaco was great with Lauren Gardner at halftime. Saying basically the same as what I just wrote in the first 2 graphs. The 1st half came down to a poor tackle and taunting. He said that taunting happens all over the country, but they were trying to coach the players out of the habit. Obi is a great kid who Gardner would let babysit her kids.

UConn's Defense took Diaco at his word earlier in the week. Aside from the TD that Adams wiffed on, UConn didn't give up many yards up the middle. If Carrazola did his best JJ Watt impersonation last week, then Campenni did one heck of a Vincent Wilfork.

Johnson ran like he was afraid to make contact. He looked like Lawrence Maroney, and not in a good way. The run on 3rd a 1 with 2 1/2 to go was ill advised with the way he was playing and the way the O-line seemed to get gassed as the half went on. It looked like Newsome got banged up on 2nd down. If I were to second-guess I think play action would have been a better way to go. Newsome earned it this week. He's a much better player than he was last year.

On the other hand, it looked like the O-line got tired as the 2nd half went along. Too many negative plays.

The best part about the receivers this year is that they can catch. I don't care how fast you can run 40 yards, their main job is to catch the ball. I'm don't remember a single dropped pass and that includes the negated one-handed grab by Noel Thomas. That was absolutely not the case last year. Does it have to do with who is throwing the ball? Yes I think it does. Not that Whitmer or Boyle did not throw catchable balls, but the constant QB substitutions made throws inconsistent for the receivers and QBs could not get into a rhythm.

I'm not one to really care about uniforms (though I did not really like UConn's former design), I think it's kinda of cool how Army put the players name on the chest, where his name would go if he were wearing utilities.

Amy's coach (Jeff Monken) has a potty mouth. The cameras caught him on at least 2 occasions drop F bombs. How do I ever explain that to my child?:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
We are going to skunk that team in Colombia; but, I hear Pablo Escobar is a tough poor loser. (RE: killing defenders who screw up)

Plus ... "we're showing pleperation"... that's like one of those words I used to hear when I was dating a Breast Radiologist. I am NOT asking what it means.

What some need to watch, and I am certain I am not the only one who sees this, is that Ron Johnson was quickly inserted on the one play referred above because Newsome got up gingerly from a long previous play. WE NEED both these guys. If Ron Johnson doesn't play well this past weekend, we work the heck on his mistakes for the next go-round. WE NEED him. And, it was great to see a few early plays for Marriner; please give us some more. Plus, DeLorenzo has really been inserted as the do-it-all team guy.

Receivers are a good 1-2-3. We should push this more to see what Mayala can give (besides a good gain from Pass Interference). And, maybe we see a few others back. We did not really go at Tommy Myers after that great first weekend. I wonder ...

I can't believe I feel like I need to make excuses for trying to write 241. I type this on an IPad and synched keyboard. When I got the IPad is had a cheap keyboard from Brookstone that worked great. It died this summer while I was in San Francisco, and I had to replace it with a much more expensive apple keyboard. Which has cooler design, is much more expensive and, frankly, sucks. You just can't type as fast on it.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. But it's nice to know Pudge that I'm not the only UConn football fan that apparently has too much free time on their hands.!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
...And I don't know what to say about our QB. You watch play by play and he seems reluctant to air it out, and a lot of intermediate throws seem to be thrown not to lead the WR but to give him a chance to catch it, and then you look at the numbers and he's 19 for 25 with a few that a receiver could have made a play on but didn't. He may have limitations, but he's smart, tough, makes plays with his legs and can spread the ball around short and intermediate. Just a great start to his career.

Great write up, but I'm going to focus on this. I didn't know what it was about him and this made me realize it. He's completing passes and doing it in a very low risk manner. It doesn't always give us the best chance for big plays, but it eliminates a lot of the risk of interceptions, which have simply killed this team going on 3 years at least. He's efficient and workmanlike, and can keep you in the game, even if he can't likely light up the opposing team. He's a good fit for this team.

Reaction Score
... Johnson isn't one to make quick cuts, so he became easy to tackle if he couldn't identify a hole to run through.
Good call here. He missed a few, chose to take it further right and there was nothing there. I hope they don't try running him in the shotgun, he will never get to the LOS.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Diaco made a great half time adjustment I think. Army probably said we will take away Johnson, which they dd. He put in Newsome and even use Mariner once or twice. Maybe both guys in the backfield once I think.

Newsome makes you have to think about coverage, the flat, etc. so things opened up for him in the middle. Watching the game unfold through Verducci was nice.

I really think the last two games we did not show much. We will have to this week. Should be interesting. I'll be interested to see the development on both sides. AK State scored 21 points. I am hopeful.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Agree Rich. Missouri will be a challenge but I'm really looking forward to seeing what Verducci has up his sleeves. BS has hinted that he's looking forward to it.

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
...I started getting confident that I was no longer watching this program being torn apart, but being rebuilt.

I love reading your posts, but this was my favorite part. Couldn't agree more. Pretty good feeling.

(And I liked your Groovy, Baby reference. Smashing, Baby.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom