The View From Section 241 — Temple | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241 — Temple

Reaction Score
What a strange, awful, exhilarating, boring, exciting, horribly played, war of a wild football game. The post-game thread shows the wild ride of emotions that Husky nation — at least that part of it that cares about football — went through yesterday. I didn’t expect to totally overwhelm another team, but I’ll be honest — I didn’t expect to need a miracle finish to pull it out either. Bottom line to me — that was an even game, and one where our defense and our offense did just enough to win. As for it being even, I get those who say we didn’t deserve to win, but if they had run it in in the last play you could just as easily say that they didn’t deserve to win. It was a back and forth game where no team ever led by more than 4 points and there were six lead changes. Did we play well? For 3 quarters our defense was terrific — we gave up 120 yards and 3 points on a 60 yard FG (unless you hold the defense responsible for the blocked punt TD or the turnover in our end where the defense gave up nothing and Temple cashed in for 3). And then, in the 4th Quarter, suddenly they followed the Tj Sheffield TD with a long TD drive, and followed the Robinson TD run with another long drive that got them to the 1. And then the D miraculously held. Great surge and discipline on the third down run. I still haven’t seen a replay of the 4th down play where I really saw what happened, but I know the ball never got into the end zone so I’ll take that. As for the offense, yeah, we couldn’t run the ball, and our passing was too inconsistent, but the blame from some on the Boneyare is absurd. Changing QBs again, and without our best offensive weapon, and tlhen our best RB, we put up almost 400 yards of total offense and 23 points. And, with the game on the line, had two long offensive TD drives where folks, including Fagano (more on him later), made plays. So we didn’t play well, and the other team played like they wanted it more, but we won a 50/50 game instead of losing it. And got to 4-2 for the first time since we beat Louisville in ‘09 the day before the tragic loss of Jasper Howard. So take it, use the off week to get healthy and then start the second half of the season, where we’ll have four games against teams ranked worse than 120 in the Sagarin (more on that later) and two chances to show if we’re any good, rather than just good enough to consistently beat crap.

O.K., offense, defense and specials. Let’s start with specials. Very good solid game from both kickers, and good to see Freeman not just keep his streak but get one from over 40. Coverage was good when needed. Their punter did a great job not letting TJ return punts. So all was fine but for the punt block which could have cost us the game. Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play? From where I sat, someone — coach or player — made a mental error, as the guy who blocked it didnt’ have to make a spectacular play — he just walked in with no one making any attempt at delaying him.

The defense for three quarters played just as dominating football as it had against FAU and Buffalo, despite being put in a hole by the offense with the constant second half turnovers, and then either lost focus or just wore out. We do rotate the up front six players a little, but game after game if we put in our backup DL all at once the other team clearly moves the ball better. It may be that we have covered up the lack of depth by running the ball so well that the defensive snaps we have are limited and we don’t need to use a lot of rotation. When it isn’t, against better teams, we may have an issue. But then it did what it had to at the end, probably helped by the failed center/QB exchange on the last play. Tui Brown in particular I thought was great. And again, I think Malcolm Bell playing for Chadwick did at least as well as Chadwick had been doing,

The inability to run the ball even a lick caught me absolutely by surprise. Was it Temple overloading the box? A great defensive scouting report and game plan? Temple’s front defense just playing with more intensity than our OL? I don’t know. I’ll have to leave that to people more expert than me. But it was shocking to see how little success we had. Passing was, for lack of a better word, meh. Fagnano missed too many throws — Bell on the deep crossing pattern being wide open comes to mind — but also made some big plays and threw for like 270. The fact that we’re complaining about that …. Yes, his three turnovers werer too many, although the first interception wasn’t his fault and the fumble maybe should have been blown dead. If people thought he was the second coming, they are wrong. But he’s not terrible either, and without the blocked punt TD and the injuries maybe this would have been a different game. Game ball to Sheffield for his huge day stepping in to replace Bell, and to Buchman for staying ready although barely being used up until now, and then coming through with a huge second half both receiving and blocking (as it was his block that sprung Sheffield on the WR screen TD).

So where are we? How great is our improvement? What does the 4-2 mean? If you focus on performance — not just wins and losses but how you get there — this is clearly the best team we’ve had since the Big East disintegrated. On the other hand, if you just measure it by results — who you beat, who you lose to and where — while beating crap consistently is obviously better than where we’ve been, we haven’t yet accomplished what Mora’s team did two years ago. That team beat good Fresno State and Liberty teams, and a not good but decent ACC team in BC. And won on the road. Using the Sagarin ratings, which include FCS teams with FBS teams, we lost on the road to 49 and 71, and won at home against 120, 139, 146 and 225. Folks, that’s a lot of suck. I’m happy to be beating suck consistently, instead of being the suck beaten consistently, but that’s nothing to be bragging about either. We have more suck on the schedule as well — games at home against 122 and 126 and on the road against 135 and 187. That leaves Wake, ranked 86, at home and at Syracuse, ranked 55. We’re 92 for what it’s worth. My point being, winning all four suck games will get us to 8-4, and while I would have taken that in a heartbeat coming into the season (or especially as I left College Park totally embarrassed on opening day), given how poorly our opponents have played it will show improvement but not that we’re any good at all. I’d love to beat Syracuse on the road, but that’s going to be a tall task. And if we play them tough, not like we did at Maryland, it will show something. That, obviously, leaves the game against Wake, that I expect will have a line within a FG either way. At home. While you can always change your destiny by losing to suck or beating Syracuse, the Wake game will set the cieling on our season. A loss and you’re trying to get to 8-4, but without having anywhere near the quality of wins we had in ‘22, or have a real shot at 9-3 with a P-4 win. The difference between those two seasons, to me, is immense. So the team should rest, get healthy, and then use the extra day of preparation. The crowd yesterday was a few thousand better than the last two games — noticeably more full, but you had to look and think about it. Hopefully the fan base uses the week off to recharge, and is there loud and proud to provide extra energy for Wake. And hopefully the student body views this as a real opponent worth showing up for. Because the 19th will be the defining moment of our season.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The Sagarin ratings of the opponents we've beaten is staggering.

As an Indy and in the portal era there's almost no opportunities for bench marking improvement like there was in the 00s in the BE. But any P4 roster should serve as a good litmus test.

Interesting to see who gets the start at QB. Mora seemed to indicate in the post game Evers would be back for Wake but I'm not sure if that means he'll start or be available.

Reaction Score
On specials we had a guy on the punt return team run into our punt returner. That could have been another disaster. The ST still have some cleaning up to do.

Losing Skyler Bell for the second half made Temple's job easier. On our first drive we picked up good yardage throwing short to the edges then we got away from it. It seemed to be there for the taking all game. Sheffield home run came on a bubble screen. And we never really got the running backs into the short passing game. Lots of teams use this as a substitute when the running game is gettin stuffed. Cam Edwards had a couple of plus plays and a couple of drops. Robinson was ineffective on a couple of throws. But I would love to see some short stuff to Brown to get him in the open field.

Take the W, move on. Given our recent play this was a WTF game. The defense saved us. But we cannot have our QB throwing bad interceptions and fumbling without it catching up to us.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I don't view Wake Forest as more of a make-or-break game than any of the other ones on our future slate, primarily for the reason you've already stated: we were one foot away from losing against Temple.

Had we lost, the feeling would be "here we go again". We've overcome that, albeit in dramatic fashion, to have a winning record and positive national chatter (such as how we've beaten Alabama by transitive property, rather than being in the ESPN Bottom 10).

Will a victory over Wake Forest look more impressive to everyone than a victory over FAU? Of course. But I can't worry about what FAU is ranked in a Sagarin. They're on the schedule... we beat them...

Reaction Score
Temple primarily played man coverage and dared UConn to beat them with the pass and UConn couldn't. Although the passing yards looked decent, UConn completed 3 passes thrown 10 yards or more and attempted 8 passes thrown over 10 yards. UConn threw 32 passes less than 10 yards. Sheffield's TD was caught behind the line of scrimmage. For UConn to win against Wake Forest and Syracuse, the passing attack needs to be more vertical.

If you look at the games over this season, UConn hasn't thrown vertically except in the Duke game when Evers was the starter and he threw 13 passes >10 yards. When UConn was crushing Merrimack, FAU, and Buffalo, they ran the ball and didn't need to pass the ball.

One other point about the game. UConn gained a 1st down during the first drive of the game deep in Temple's territory, but the ref ruled Edwards short and UConn didn't convert on 4th down. That was a huge momentum killer as they were gashing Temple's defense during the first drive with plays of 15, 11, 9, 8 , 3, and 5 yards. I think if UConn scored a TD there, the game would have played out differently.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Temple primarily played man coverage and dared UConn to beat them with the pass and UConn couldn't. Although the passing yards looked decent, UConn completed 3 passes thrown 10 yards or more and attempted 8 passes thrown over 10 yards. UConn threw 32 passes less than 10 yards. Sheffield's TD was caught behind the line of scrimmage. For UConn to win against Wake Forest and Syracuse, the passing attack needs to be more vertical.

If you look at the games over this season, UConn hasn't thrown vertically except in the Duke game when Evers was the starter and he threw 13 passes >10 yards. When UConn was crushing Merrimack, FAU, and Buffalo, they ran the ball and didn't need to pass the ball.

One other point about the game. UConn gained a 1st down during the first drive of the game deep in Temple's territory, but the ref ruled Edwards short and UConn didn't convert on 4th down. That was a huge momentum killer as they were gashing Temple's defense during the first drive with plays of 15, 11, 9, 8 , 3, and 5 yards. I think if UConn scored a TD there, the game would have played out differently.
It's a good analysis pertaining to the vertical game. I will add that sometimes coaches (the good ones, anyways) play to strengths and avoid the weaknesses. If the 10+ yard vertical throw is a weakness for both of our top 2 QBs, then we'll continue with the current gameplan... which is logical to do...

Reaction Score
Good write up. We have moved up the food chain to healthy respect. We were a missed field goal from beating Duke and being 5-1 and 1 foot away from being 3-3. So, Wake is a litmus test. Bagging a P-4 matters quite a bit and moves us up the rungs. One thing is for certain, no game is a given and we better be sharp every time out on the field. Our margin for error is not big.

Reaction Score
Good writeup of the game. It was a tough game to watch. Too many penalties and not enough flow to the game made it 4 hours long. I am sure glad that they won in regulation since I wasn't sure if I could take watching OT if it ever went that far.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Great analysis throughout this thread. Temple had a good defensive gameplan and Sammis didn't really change things up. The 4th qtr played totally different than the first 3 qtrs and I have no idea why. That said, time for the injured to recuperate, the worn down to recharge and as Mora said, the coaches to recalibrate for the 2 d half of the season. Beating Wake or Cuse will do a lot for the collective psyche of the fan base but maybe even more importantly, give Brett Yormark more fuel for the fire!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I’m happy to be beating suck consistently, instead of being the suck beaten consistently, but that’s nothing to be bragging about either. We have more suck on the schedule as well — games at home against 122 and 126 and on the road against 135 and 187. That leaves Wake, ranked 86, at home and at Syracuse, ranked 55. We’re 92 for what it’s worth. My point being, winning all four suck games will get us to 8-4, and while I would have taken that in a heartbeat coming into the season (or especially as I left College Park totally embarrassed on opening day)
"I’m happy to be beating suck consistently, instead of being the suck beaten consistently, but that’s nothing to be bragging about either."

I love this line. It so succinctly says where we are. I'll disagree a little bit that it's not worth any recognition. For many years we were, arguably, the worst team in FBS football. Now, we have a reasonable basis to say we are not. Sure, that's nothing that I want to be printing up T-shirts about, but it is progress. The old Chinese proverb that the journey of 1000 miles begins with, but a single step seems applicable.

This season we've made quite a few steps. The fact that we can now beat the very worst teams in the FBS handily is a step and a big one. Heck if we were winning these games in the final second, that would've been a step forward. Similarly, this weekend's game has an awful lot to be concerned about. I have no issue whatsoever with people recognizing that and, well being concerned. But in the end we came away with a win and a goal line stand at the 6 inch line on third and fourth down is pretty damn impressive no matter how you slice it.

I continue to be concerned about the quarterback position. We all should be. We have two quarterbacks that are just barely enough for us to win, each in their own ways. That means that we need either of them to play at their absolute best, plus we need everyone around them to as well to be able to beat the worst of FBS. Again, you're right that that's nothing to brag about, but it's made for an enjoyable season so far. Those have been fairly elusive over the last decade.

My quiet goal for the season is to get to eight wins. Then if we go to a bowl, even if we lose it, we break our streak of consecutive seasons without a winning record. That too is nothing to brag about, but I have to admit, it'll feel pretty damn good.

Last edited:

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Learning how to win close games is more important than winning close games.

With that being said Temple’s defense was stout because it stacked the box all night. Very rarely did they go double high safeties, and I counted a fair amount of pressing by their DBs. Backers were hitting run gaps. The gameplan was let Fagnano beat us. And on that last TD drive, he did.

We lost a lot of variability with the offense when Evers was ruled out. Hopefully he is good to go for Wake.

Also was nice meeting you @businesslawyer and @FfldCntyFan - let’s hope for a W on the 19th. I agree with your outlook on the season, it’s a massive game.

Reaction Score
Always appreciate the View From Section 241.

But the chatter here on beatting crap and suck escapes me given our level of play over the last 10+ years. We have epitomized crap and suck and this season shows meaningful progress away from that. Other than Maryland we've either dominated or been in every game. An 8-9 win season is on the table.

In this era of NIL and the portal the question I have is whether or not it is sustainable. The era of building a program through recruiting and player development is quickly being eclipsed by grabbing transfers. We'll see.....

For now, I'm just happy not to be crap or suck......;)

Reaction Score
With that being said Temple’s defense was stout because it stacked the box all night. Very rarely did they go double high safeties, and I counted a fair amount of pressing by their DBs. Backers were hitting run gaps. The gameplan was let Fagnano beat us. And on that last TD drive, he did.
Fagnano's play of the game was 3rd and 10 on the UConn 30 on the final TD drive. Fagnano escaped the pass rush and rolled to his left and saw a wide open Buckman and completed the pass for 32 yards. That was a winning play.

Reaction Score
In this era of NIL and the portal the question I have is whether or not it is sustainable. The era of building a program through recruiting and player development is quickly being eclipsed by grabbing transfers. We'll see.....
I think it is sustainable. Remember, there are 3 types of recruits now: high school recruits, transfers with 3 or more years of eligibility, and plug and play transfers with 1 or 2 years of eligibility. UConn is going after all three types of players which means some of the transfers are not one and done and still need to be developed. Guys like Evers, Robinson, Bass, Porter, have 3+ years of eligibility.

One other key point is finding QBs. UConn's offense in the past has been terrible, but this year, the offense is actually pretty good which will attract transfer (and maybe top HS) QBs. The availability of transfer QBs has been around for years before the portal and it will continue in the future as QBs want to play. Schools like Georgia will recruit one top 10 QB per year and all can't start, so there will be transfers available.

Reaction Score
"I’m happy to be beating suck consistently, instead of being the suck beaten consistently, but that’s nothing to be bragging about either."

I love this line. It so succinctly says where we are. I'll disagree a little bit that it's not worth any recognition. For many years we were, arguably, the worst team in FBS football. Now, we have a reasonable basis to say we are not. Sure, that's nothing that I want to be printing up T-shirts about, but it is progress. The old Chinese proverb that the journey of 1000 miles begins with, but a single step seems applicable.

This season we've made quite a few steps. The fact that we can now beat the very worst teams in the FBS handily is a step and a big one. Heck if we were winning these games in the final second, that would've been a step forward. Similarly, this weekend's game has an awful lot to be concerned about. I have no issue whatsoever with people recognizing that and, well being concerned. But in the end we came away with a win and a goal line stand at the 6 inch line on third and fourth down is pretty damn impressive no matter how you slice it.

I continue to be concerned about the quarterback position. We all should be. We have two quarterbacks that are just barely enough for us to win, each in their own ways. That means that we need either of them to play at their absolute best, plus we need everyone around them to as well to be able to beat the worst of FBS. Again, you're right that that's nothing to brag about, but it's made for an enjoyable season so far. Those have been fairly elusive over the last decade.

My quiet goal for the season is to get to eight wins. Then if we go to a bowl, even if we lose it, we break our streak of consecutive seasons without a winning record. That too is nothing to brag about, but I have to admit, it'll feel pretty damn good.
Most of the career top ten statistical leaders on the offensive side of the ball are still overpopulated with folks from D2 and 1AA. Sherriffs, considering who he played for and not playing three full seasons did quite well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom