The View From Section 241 — Rice | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241 — Rice

Reaction Score
Given the play over 6 games, I don't think I'm being harsh at all. Over 6 games, even excluding the losses to Duke and NC State, we've been badly outplayed from scrimmage. I think we were outgained by over 150 yards Saturday, and we won because we had 3 takeaways, 2 of which had nothing to do with us making a play.

I'll be there for USF. It's not like I've quit on the team. But if you compare the win Saturday to the win over Fresno State last year that turned our season around, last year we won because we outplayed and outphysicaled a team that, over the course of the year, played at a much higher level than us. After that win, you looked at our schedule and saw possibilities. I don't see that here. Hope, yes, but realistic possibilities?
Two more wins is realistic (Umass and SH)
JMU/USF will be tough but next best oppty. Definitely have a chance if we see continued improved play.
BC would love to see but I think they are too strong and QB is bad matchup
TN- just stay within 5 touchdowns

2-4 likely
3-3 a nice surprise
4-2 we’re back
5-1 Hi, Brett. You want to talk about UConn for 2026? Sorry, ACC calling on other line

Reaction Score
As a group I think we are stronger at the cornerback position this year although no one has played as well as Wortham played last year. Many of the mistakes are poor communication with the safeties. Our linebackers as a group are not as strong as last year but they seem to be playing better as the season has progressed. Overall I think our defense is about the same as last year. We were all hoping for improvement over last year’s defense but that hasn’t happen. Also the quality of opposing quarterbacks the first half of this season are better the quarterbacks we faced in the second half of last season. The next 4 games we are not getting any breaks in terms quarterbacks that we will be facing.
Agree on the communication issues.

Reaction Score
What has regressed with the defense from last year is tackling and I'm not sure why. We have now played 6 games, so I think this point is relevant: Based on what our opponents have averaged for offensive yards vs. how many UConn has allowed, the difference for the 6 games is -19 yards. So, we are basically allowing the opponents to gain as many yards as they are currently averaging. Three games UConn gave up less yards than their average and 3 games they have given up more.
We haven't just regressed. We've become one of the worst tackling teams in the country.

Reaction Score
Gotta train the same way you play in a game, with the same intensity. If that is no longer possible, then that is a major problem for team who are not good at tackling.

Ask Mikaela Shiffrin. Of course skiing is not a contact sport ... until you crash at race speed. Then it most certainly is.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
We haven't just regressed. We've become one of the worst tackling teams in the country.

It's kinda surprising...Mora is a defensive guy. You would think this would be a strength of the defense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom