The view from 30,000 feet | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The view from 30,000 feet

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Nothing could more perfectly sum up the greed and mismanagement of this athletic department than Geno Auriemma, recognizable to anyone, rolling down his window, on his way to work, across the street from Gampel Pavilion...and being asked for twelve dollars.

Its too perfect. The symbolism is incredible.
Some coaches negotiate better contracts than others?

Reaction Score
Edsall called it out first.

You probably know better than I - but I’ve always understood the relationship between Edsall and Geno to be good.

I don’t imagine the two instances are coincidences. I also imagine it doesn’t reflect well on the relationships with those two coaches and their ‘boss’.
Benedict is an impossible situation here. He didnt drastically raise ticket prices or parking since he got here that I noticed. He's also dealing with shrinking revenue streams. Highly paid coaches really shouldn't be calling him out on those things since they ain't giving a dime back. With Orlovsky now calling out Benedict, Dave has to be thinking bringing Randy back has been more trouble than it's worth, especially with the situation with his kid and the assistant coaching fiasco.

I'm starting to think that. All of our ills come down to ending up on the wrong end of conference realignment.

Reaction Score
AD Dave’s predecessor left him with a huge mess particularly 2 really bad coach s in the revenue sports with expensive contracts. Fixing things will take a while. Edsall was a start. He came with a relatively affordable contract and will get things going the right way. At least seems to have based on some of the kids he landed.

Orlovsky’s comments were unfortunate and I think to an extent reveal his age and the fact that he is a northeast guy. Not sure how many recruits from Dade County and Georgia care about playing Syracuse. Maybe the New Jersey and PA kids to an extent but Edsall can say we play 3 ranked teams which the old Big East rarely had. The team that was ranked #6 twice in the last 4 years again which was higher than most Big East teams after Miami and Vatech bolted. We are on tv every week.

Reaction Score
I’m not from Connecticut (neither is Fishy or Tom). It’s my Dad who went to Pharmacy school in New Haven and then scooted the Nutmeg. Led to about a dozen family members going to UConn.

As a non State Taxpayer ... you people have a classic curmudgeon persona. All is Lost. Really? Let’s see what the next chapter brings. We’ve been blessed beyond our dreams. And there’s too much good energy accumulated.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I’m not from Connecticut (neither is Fishy or Tom). It’s my Dad who went to Pharmacy school in New Haven and then scooted the Nutmeg. Led to about a dozen family members going to UConn.

As a non State Taxpayer ... you people have a classic curmudgeon persona. All is Lost. Really? Let’s see what the next chapter brings. We’ve been blessed beyond our dreams. And there’s too much good energy accumulated.

The next chapter needs to bring new blood from top to bottom. If you aren’t named Geno, Penders or Stevens please use the door.

Reaction Score
- news is leaked to a New Haven Register columnist that the this wildly successful program is under NCAA investigation.
Here is your cherry on this delicious sundae: The investigation is bad. Like get ready to argue you can't change history bad.
I appreciate that you (& others) are apparently plugged into the program and know way more than me but when you make statements like this what is the purpose? You are essentially saying I assume that (at least) the 2014 title will be vacated no? Why not just come out and say that & what you know? If the program is going to burned to the ground and we'll be starting from scratch then let's just get it out in the open & start the process. If you don't actually know anything or are just basing your comments on rumors then how is that narrative helpful?

C

Chief00

I appreciate that you (& others) are apparently plugged into the program and know way more than me but when you make statements like this what is the purpose? You are essentially saying I assume that (at least) the 2014 title will be vacated no? Why not just come out and say that & what you know? If the program is going to burned to the ground and we'll be starting from scratch then let's just get it out in the open & start the process. If you don't actually know anything or are just basing your comments on rumors then how is that narrative helpful?

I will take this one. All the Cadusl Fan really needs to know is that Emmert is out to get UConn due to his disastrous tenure here and not getting the Presidents job.
He will create new rules that will retroactively get UConn on a violation or whatever - he needs to be politically taken out of his job. I suggest the best way to do that - which can gain traction given the current MeToo# atmosphere is him looking the other way in the MSU Doctor scandal. There may be other interesting things that could be used to hit closer to home for Mr Emmert - along those same lines.

Reaction Score
Totally agreed. I have already asked twice, and have been ignored both times when simply asking for sources and/or links, leading me to believe it is just blowing smoke.

Reaction Score
I will take this one. All the Cadusl Fan really needs to know is that Emmert is out to get UConn due to his disastrous tenure here and not getting the Presidents job.
He will create new rules that will retroactively get UConn on a violation or whatever - he needs to be politically taken out of his job. I suggest the best way to do that - which can gain traction given the current MeToo# atmosphere is him looking the other way in the MSU Doctor scandal. There may be other interesting things that could be used to hit closer to home for Mr Emmert - along those same lines.
My head is spinning...........doesn't really address what Whaler implied.....the implication was made that UConn has violations that will result in a title being vacated. I really don't find it amusing to say those things without factual knowledge. As far as Emmert.....he'll create rules to take away a title from UConn for "revenge"? I get that you guys like to talk in riddles but this board is becoming just a waste of time. If you have knowledge you want to share then share it, I really don't have interest in solving puzzles.

Reaction Score
My head is spinning......doesn't really address what Whaler implied.....the implication was made that UConn has violations that will result in a title being vacated. I really don't find it amusing to say those things without factual knowledge. As far as Emmert.....he'll create rules to take away a title from UConn for "revenge"? I get that you guys like to talk in riddles but this board is becoming just a waste of time. If you have knowledge you want to share then share it, I really don't have interest in solving puzzles.
again agreed. I do not, however, think it is a secret that emmert has it out for uconn because of his awful tenure there. If I were other Uconn fans or the Uconn admin, I would absolutely be proactive NOW (which is already late as is if you have not already at least) in relentlessly calling out emmert and starting a movement against him and his corruption and conflict of interests. Do what ESPN will not do.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I regard myself a little differently after reading this post.

Reaction Score
Oh please. Emmett ended up way way better off. For 1 thing he didn’t have to travel to Hartford a few times a year and pretend to fawn over a bunch of self important knuckleheads in the state legislature. Plus he was long gone before the incompetence accusations. It is always fun to have a scapegoat but here’s the thing. Ollie screwed up or appeared to have screwed up. Someone complained and now it is being investigated. At some point we’ll find out that he did or he didn’t. But it isn’t because Emmert is trying to get us.

C

Chief00

Oh please. Emmett ended up way way better off. For 1 thing he didn’t have to travel to Hartford a few times a year and pretend to fawn over a bunch of self important knuckleheads in the state legislature. Plus he was long gone before the incompetence accusations. It is always fun to have a scapegoat but here’s the thing. Ollie screwed up or appeared to have screwed up. Someone complained and now it is being investigated. At some point we’ll find out that he did or he didn’t. But it isn’t because Emmert is trying to get us.
He was indeed involved in the UConn 2000 building scandals and more ....

Reaction Score
He was indeed involved in the UConn 2000 building scandals and more ....
But he had left for LSU BEFORE it became a scandal. Yes they blamed him but long after he had moved to greener pastures. And nobody ever took any action against him. Nor did it hurt his career any.

C

Chief00

But he had left for LSU BEFORE it became a scandal. Yes they blamed him but long after he had moved to greener pastures. And nobody ever took any action against him. Nor did it hurt his career any.
True so far - but what happened while he was on UConn could be a blemish nationally if someone brought attention to it.

Reaction Score
Nothing Emmert would like more than to retroactively re-ban the hungry huskies.

Whaler11 - Another item to add to your list. I am still trying to process the recent Geno comments:
1) I was surprised he had to park in the garage and pay for parking. That really shocks me, if true. I assumed he had a reserve parking spot next to Werth.
2) I am somewhat surprised Geno was so openly critical of ticket prices and scheduling. Two AD Dept responsibilities.

So between items 1 and 2, Geno publicly called Dave’s management style out.
1. Can we self-ban for this year?
2. Geno is advocating for starting times to accommodate the fans that go to his games. TV determines many of those start times, not the AD.

Reaction Score
Earl was a legit badass, but man could he score. I got to play 3 on 3 against him once behind the Jungle. He was really good. Played against Terrance Warren as well. He was not good.

Terrance also couldn't hold his liquor.

Reaction Score
My head is spinning......doesn't really address what Whaler implied.....the implication was made that UConn has violations that will result in a title being vacated. I really don't find it amusing to say those things without factual knowledge. As far as Emmert.....he'll create rules to take away a title from UConn for "revenge"? I get that you guys like to talk in riddles but this board is becoming just a waste of time. If you have knowledge you want to share then share it, I really don't have interest in solving puzzles.
I am with you. I am about to put Whaler on ignore. I too thought he was implying vacating a championship. Everything Whaler throws out is cryptic crap. Regarding chief, I hate to even mention. It's like he is a performance artist - like Andy Kaufman - but without the talent. Everything he says is a vague echo of something other posters have said or stuff that has already been published by other outlets. The board is beyond miserable right now. If the program is as screwed as Whaler says - then why not spit it out - nothing Whaler says will make a difference if the program is done. He won't because he is FOS. Just a negative guy stuck in a negative rut spewing insecure negative ramblings.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom