The Very, Very Easiest Way To Assure an AQ Bid Right Now | The Boneyard

The Very, Very Easiest Way To Assure an AQ Bid Right Now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Would be for the Big East and the MWC to simply align for a playoff between the two conferences. Winner gets the bid. 16 teams all together.
The BE would have to add two teams, I would suggest Houston and SMU. The MWC would have to add one. Preference would be BYU, but Nevada or Memphis would work too. I would not object to Temple or Navy if someone didn't want SMU. But this way, neither conference would have to find a new place to park their "other" sports, and travel would remain largely unchanged.

Edit: This would make for some absolutely marvelous road games: Las Vegas; Provo - absolutely stunning; San Diego; New Mexico; Colorado. Are you kidding me? You really want to go to Chapel Hill? Blacksburg? I've been out west, it's the best. I'm going to San Diego in two weeks, can't wait. Then Nevada. Listen to me.

Reaction Score
I would not be for this at all. It would have made sense a while back maybe, but now that the BE has to add teams, it needs to focus on the best teams possible. If you extend the BCS money to 18 teams, then its benefit starts to diminish. They are better off going to either 9 teams or else 12 teams with the best of the MWC.

Reaction Score
I'm talking 16 teams, with an east and a west. I don't think Boise State agrees to play in an eastern conference. It might be happy with it's conference mates in an alliance such as the one proposed.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Sorry, but this is just moronic.

We'll keep our BCS bid just fine without having to share it with the dregs of the MWC.

Also, did you really just bash Chapel Hill while extoling the values of New Mexico?

Reaction Score
Sorry, but this is just moronic.

We'll keep our BCS bid just fine without having to share it with the dregs of the MWC.

Also, did you really just bash Chapel Hill while extoling the values of New Mexico?
I love it out west. I went to the Virginia game in Charlottesville. No thanks. I've been to Duke. Chappel Hill. I'd rather go out west. I spent a summer in Boise. Sorry.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I remember in 2003 (at a time when all of the then catholic members left something to be desired in terms of their men's basketball product) when discussion of splitting the conference arose, many from the catholic contingent were making an enormous deal over whether they did or did not get an immediate autobid in the NCAA tournament while nobody from the football contingent mentioned this as a potential issue. The fact was that the auto bid was not necessary for the football contingent as their conference champion (assuming there would be a split) would receive an invitation regardless.

I seriously doubt that any other BCS conference is overly concerned as to whether they do or do not have an autobid as they know they will all place at least one member in a BCS bowl. While we absolutely want to maintain our BCS status, if we were to act as if maintaining this status is our only goal (basically reinforcing the belief that this is a prize we really don't warrant but now refuse to budge on) we will be sealing our own fate.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Would be for the Big East and the MWC to simply align for a playoff between the two conferences. Winner gets the bid. 16 teams all together.
The BE would have to add two teams, I would suggest Houston and SMU. The MWC would have to add one. Preference would be BYU, but Nevada or Memphis would work too. I would not object to Temple or Navy if someone didn't want SMU. But this way, neither conference would have to find a new place to park their "other" sports, and travel would remain largely unchanged.

Edit: This would make for some absolutely marvelous road games: Las Vegas; Provo - absolutely stunning; San Diego; New Mexico; Colorado. Are you kidding me? You really want to go to Chapel Hill? Blacksburg? I've been out west, it's the best. I'm going to San Diego in two weeks, can't wait. Then Nevada. Listen to me.
While I'm sure those are beautiful spots that I'd love to go to, I can actually afford to travel the East Coast. Not so much some of those spots. I'm sure Arizona is wonderful and I would have loved to go to our first BCS game, but it was just too cost prohibitive.

Reaction Score
I remember in 2003 (at a time when all of the then catholic members left something to be desired in terms of their men's basketball product) when discussion of splitting the conference arose, many from the catholic contingent were making an enormous deal over whether they did or did not get an immediate autobid in the NCAA tournament while nobody from the football contingent mentioned this as a potential issue. The fact was that the auto bid was not necessary for the football contingent as their conference champion (assuming there would be a split) would receive an invitation regardless.

I seriously doubt that any other BCS conference is overly concerned as to whether they do or do not have an autobid as they know they will all place at least one member in a BCS bowl. While we absolutely want to maintain our BCS status, if we were to act as if maintaining this status is our only goal (basically reinforcing the belief that this is a prize we really don't warrant but now refuse to budge on) we will be sealing our own fate.

As always, interesting perspective. However, I think that we do have to act as if maintaining this status is, if not our only goal, then our most important goal. Because it is either that or say goodbye to BCS level football. We are not going to be able to compete with
BC and Syr for recruits if we do not have an autobid to offer. That is indisputable.

Reaction Score
While I'm sure those are beautiful spots that I'd love to go to, I can actually afford to travel the East Coast. Not so much some of those spots. I'm sure Arizona is wonderful and I would have loved to go to our first BCS game, but it was just too cost prohibitive.

Not a lot of Uconn people travel. We don't travel well. Go to our home games. Go to Rutgers. Go to Morgantown. What are you actually giving up if we add a few Western programs? Do you really want to go on a road trip to Syracuse, New York? Trust me. You don't.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
That may be true for the blue chip recruits, but we won't have a chance at them (football) regardless of the league we are in.

As always, interesting perspective. However, I think that we do have to act as if maintaining this status is, if not our only goal, then our most important goal. Because it is either that or say goodbye to BCS level football. We are not going to be able to compete with
BC and Syr for recruits if we do not have an autobid to offer. That is indisputable.

Reaction Score
That may be true for the blue chip recruits, but we won't have a chance at them (football) regardless of the league we are in.
True. But even the Casey Cochran's of the world, they don't come to a non AQ program if they have the chance. Every kid who has the chance to go to an AQ conference will. Just a given. And we will play football with largely non AQ talent unless we decide to admit non-qualifiers, or partial qualifiers, and then we get in trouble, etc. etc. etc. So..... And I'm not talking about basketball. We stay in the BE for that.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Even your better written posts like this one have the same conclusion which is "we are screwed no matter what we do so we might as well give up". Do you believe that?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
We wouldn't want the entire MWC. Just enough to keep the bid. I would say that a Las Vegas Bowl tie-in would certainly be an upgrade over most of what we have now. If they moved it to the BBVA bowl date, travel costs wouldn't be bad at all. Vegas is more affordable the first week after NYE. Always thought the BE should look there and perhaps a third bowl in Miami or Orlando as tie-ins. Cheap air travel, warm weather, and interesting destinations are important for northeast bowl tie-ins.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Even your better written posts like this one have the same conclusion which is "we are screwed no matter what we do so we might as well give up". Do you believe that?
How is it a we are screwed or a we are giving up post? Basically what it is saying is that we aren't giving up and we aren't attempting to hold onto the BCS bid out of belief that it is our only means of being BCS worthy. We have to demonstrate that we are fighting for something of more substrance than merely putting together enough warm bodies to call it a conference and hope that the BCS is fooled enough by the product to allow us to keep the bid. The position needs to be that we (UConn, WVU, Louisville, Rutgers, Cincy & USF) are committed to being competitive at the top level of football and will bring in schools capable of doing the same (unfortunately, the issue here is that the leadership is leaning towards the warm bodies approach).

Find some other poster to misinterpret. You've exhausted your allowance here.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
How is it a we are screwed or a we are giving up post? Basically what it is saying is that we aren't giving up and we aren't attempting to hold onto the BCS bid out of belief that it is our only means of being BCS worthy. We have to demonstrate that we are fighting for something of more substrance than merely putting together enough warm bodies to call it a conference and hope that the BCS is fooled enough by the product to allow us to keep the bid.

What do you mean by "fooled enough"? The BCS uses a numerical value as to what conferences can qualify for a BCS. There has never been any talk about removing a bid, besides of message boards of paranoid fans.

And I disagree about your point about maintaining the BCS bid. Until the BCS is out of power and there is a true playoff, the BCS is the only that makes UConn Football viable. Without the BCS bid, simply put, we are C-USA just with teams with a better profile.

Reaction Score
I love it out west. I went to the Virginia game in Charlottesville. No thanks. I've been to Duke. Chappel Hill. I'd rather go out west. I spent a summer in Boise. Sorry.

Plus, I hear they have this "blue meth" in New Mexico...

Reaction Score
While we absolutely want to maintain our BCS status, if we were to act as if maintaining this status is our only goal (basically reinforcing the belief that this is a prize we really don't warrant but now refuse to budge on) we will be sealing our own fate.

Well we agree on one thing. The next logical step is to eliminate the BCS system. We live in a country that was founded on the belief that one should rise based on his/her merits not based on their name or to what organization they belong.

All bowl games should be filled based on accomplishment. This year we could easily have 6 league champions go undefeated. (Clemson/Georgia Tech, LSU/Alabama, Boise State, Stanford, Wisconsin/Michigan, Oklahoma/Oklahoma State). Wonder who gets left out of the championship game in that scenario?

I hope it happens, maybe then we will get a playoff system.

Reaction Score
Well we agree on one thing. The next logical step is to eliminate the BCS system. We live in a country that was founded on the belief that one should rise based on his/her merits not based on their name or to what organization they belong.

All bowl games should be filled based on accomplishment. This year we could easily have 6 league champions go undefeated. (Clemson/Georgia Tech, LSU/Alabama, Boise State, Stanford, Wisconsin/Michigan, Oklahoma/Oklahoma State). Wonder who gets left out of the championship game in that scenario?
Everybody except Alabama and Oklahoma.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Ugh! Really hope this isn't necessary. I know we're still trying to get a grasp of what the Cuse Pitt defections mean but let's not settle for half measures quite yet.

Reaction Score
I suggested a Mountain West alliance last week and still fail to see the downside. Make a big splash and become the first 16 team football conference. This would insure our BCS survival which is something we need so our recruiting ability doesn't take a nosedive.

16 teams gives us the depth to survive the further poaching that is likely to happen.

Reaction Score
Ugh! Really hope this isn't necessary. I know we're still trying to get a grasp of what the Cuse Pitt defections mean but let's not settle for half measures quite yet.
Listen to the sound of extinction. It's a very quiet sound. Adapt or become extinct.

Reaction Score

I hope it happens, maybe then we will get a playoff system.
Interesting. I wouldn't exactly say only on accomplishment. Draw is important too. But it will be fun to watch if we have three or four undefeated teams out of the big boy conferences this year.

Reaction Score
If you want Boise State, invite their whole dam_ conference, and have a playoff with them. Substitute Houston for TCU. Add in any two to the current Big East to get to 8. Easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom