The University at Buffalo (*SUNY) | The Boneyard

The University at Buffalo (*SUNY)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm certain upstate will correct me ...

But, the first thing that I will say (after reading a bunch) is there Quarterback will most likely be better than ours. And, frankly, that has been the case for UB in all the years since we saw them in Toronto. Last year, I'd marginally say that Zach F was an approximation of their effectiveness. Looking at the video I can find on Chazz Anderson (transfer from Cincinnati who followed Quinn to UB) is that he is good. And he has presence ... and I would not put that moniker on Johnny Mac.

Second, this UBuffalo is really behind the 8 ball as a program because this market (Buffalo and greater WNY ... even into the radio land of Toronto suburbs) is how dominant the Buffalo Bill brand is here ... and how non-existent the Buffalo college game becomes. This is a good Program. Solid with Quinn ... who is building some from where Turner Gill had it. Mid-level MAC for sure with Ohio recruits; solid WNY presence (where football is at the level of all but the top CT programs) where kids grow big (so LINE); and Florida (I think I read that they have 11); and some Canadian Linemen. You won't hear a peep about UB on the radio & the paper has a beat guy ... but buried.

As a Program to consider for realignment (hope this doesn't get me tossed to the Black Hole of the conference realignment board), Buffalo has the failings of a Pitt or a BC ... but no tradition & will seriously be challenged to build a fanbase. Low priced tickets relative to the NFL just won't fly as well here as more affluent bigger markets. Buffalo has ALL the trapping of a major NFL city in sportstalk ... but not the depth. The University is excellent (frankly; AND since I teach at another SUNY, I know they have a big Buffalo Plan 2020 ... that could include a Football upgrade) and the campus has a lot of signs of growth. Big Plans. Can really be an Institution that could grab a lot of attention. But, I clearly don't see any opportunity to be a level that we are.

WE ... Hartford & all of CT ... have huge advantages over a place like this. A State U that can capture the entire population without the Pro element. And ONE focused Institution ... unlike NY that has like 4 major U's they have to feed.

Reaction Score
I'm certain upstate will correct me ...

But, the first thing that I will say (after reading a bunch) is there Quarterback will most likely be better than ours. And, frankly, that has been the case for UB in all the years since we saw them in Toronto. Last year, I'd marginally say that Zach F was an approximation of their effectiveness. Looking at the video I can find on Chazz Anderson (transfer from Cincinnati who followed Quinn to UB) is that he is good. And he has presence ... and I would not put that moniker on Johnny Mac.

Second, this UBuffalo is really behind the 8 ball as a program because this market (Buffalo and greater WNY ... even into the radio land of Toronto suburbs) is how dominant the Buffalo Bill brand is here ... and how non-existent the Buffalo college game becomes. This is a good Program. Solid with Quinn ... who is building some from where Turner Gill had it. Mid-level MAC for sure with Ohio recruits; solid WNY presence (where football is at the level of all but the top CT programs) where kids grow big (so LINE); and Florida (I think I read that they have 11); and some Canadian Linemen. You won't hear a peep about UB on the radio & the paper has a beat guy ... but buried.

As a Program to consider for realignment (hope this doesn't get me tossed to the Black Hole of the conference realignment board), Buffalo has the failings of a Pitt or a BC ... but no tradition & will seriously be challenged to build a fanbase. Low priced tickets relative to the NFL just won't fly as well here as more affluent bigger markets. Buffalo has ALL the trapping of a major NFL city in sportstalk ... but not the depth. The University is excellent (frankly; AND since I teach at another SUNY, I know they have a big Buffalo Plan 2020 ... that could include a Football upgrade) and the campus has a lot of signs of growth. Big Plans. Can really be an Institution that could grab a lot of attention. But, I clearly don't see any opportunity to be a level that we are.

WE ... Hartford & all of CT ... have huge advantages over a place like this. A State U that can capture the entire population without the Pro element. And ONE focused Institution ... unlike NY that has like 4 major U's they have to feed.

On the first point, I've heard really good things about the QB. Buffalo has had some real difference makers on offense recently, such as James Starks and Naaman Roosevelt among others. They've got a good WR now. I think the beef of up front is their problem.

Believe it or not, the Buffalo Sabres are the dominant brand in town. The whole region is certifiably nutty for hockey. It has more in common with Southern Ontario than any other place upstate, and indeed, both its junior teams and high school teams play in Ontario leagues. UB has support from local alumni and there are quite a few of them. Indeed, UB football is on the radio, its discussed, and is an alternative to the Bills for some. But not for the greater community that has no UB affiliation. Syracuse, by the way, is below UB in terms of fan interest. The problem for the local talent base is the weather. Since I have kids participating in sports, I know how ridiculously short the sports seasons are for outdoor sports. But when it comes to hockey, WNY is populating a lot of NHL rosters. I was surprised at the price of tickets actually, they are half the cost of Bills tickets. $25 versus $50. Nonetheless, the university loses a ton of dough, and any shakeout in the superconferences may cause all MAC schools to reconsider their support. Buffalo is NOT affluent but there are actually a lot more people around here than people assume. Combining the area in which most UB students come from (i.e. taking a 1 hour circumference from, say, Lancaster, you have 2.5 million residents. As people in the region also like to point out, within a 1 hour 15 minute radius' drive of Buffalo, there are 9.5 million people). But most of them do not have an interest in American football.

I'm a lot less optimistic about plans to build out UB. There are plans, but little cash. The only good thing is UB has a lot of headroom with very low tuition and rising quality of students. But, I still don't understand why NY state allows congressman to send pork all over the state to private schools ($15 million for a new building for Canisius, $50 million to start a new law school at St. John's Fisher, while it cuts $30 million from schools like UB). It makes no sense. Pretty soon there is going to be an upheaval in American education. I don't see UB sports as having the potential to grow, unless we're talking about UB starting a hockey team at the rink across the street and thereby joining HE. UB would be a power overnight if it did this.

Reaction Score
If the Bills move (and they probably will), UB would fill the void, locally.

Reaction Score
And THUS we get around to Syracuse (haha).

As much as the State has put money to those Buffalo/Rochester area Private colleges (and there are equivalent stories at RPI and NYIT), THEY are NOT going to be around to help SU. The Carrier Dome was financed (and they have been assisted over time) by State money when done in the 1970s. No more of that will get done anytime soon. The State legislature can justify SOME funding of economic generators; but, I really don't see more minor league stadiums or anything for a new Stadium for our ACC lap dogs.

Reaction Score
Do you guys see UB as a viable alternative to either the current Big East or a reconstituted all sports conference anchored by the current BE FB schools? I wonder if there is a place for UB, Temple, and UMass to go along with the current BE FB schools in an all sports conference.

Reaction Score
Do you guys see UB as a viable alternative to either the current Big East or a reconstituted all sports conference anchored by the current BE FB schools? I wonder if there is a place for UB, Temple, and UMass to go along with the current BE FB schools in an all sports conference.

I hope not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34