The Unfortunate Truth of Basketball Success | The Boneyard

The Unfortunate Truth of Basketball Success

Reaction Score
None of it matters. Not even a little bit. National Champion number 6 should it happen will not move the needle. UCF, Wake Forest, BC, Rutgers, Northwestern, Vanderbilt etc all have free rides and bask in the glory of nothingness because at the end of the day football / the perception of football drives the bus. Yormark's push and value of basketball falling on deaf ears is even more telling.

Incursio007

"Plus Ultra!"
Reaction Score
I think it matters and it continues to bolster our brand. We have been and always will be a basketball school first. If all this winning is what’s come as a result of conference realignment, then I’m a fan lol. Boston College “sponsored” the elite 8 venue - all that P4 money is really translating for their success.

Reaction Score
None of it matters. Not even a little bit. National Champion number 6 should it happen will not move the needle. UCF, Wake Forest, BC, Rutgers, Northwestern, Vanderbilt etc all have free rides and bask in the glory of nothingness because at the end of the day football / the perception of football drives the bus. Yormark's push and value of basketball falling on deaf ears is even more telling.
The 50k plus applications the school received would beg to disagree. This is great publicity for the school that will allow it to become an even better academic institution

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
It will depend on what conferences think about moving forward in terms of media. If it's all about subscribers to online platforms, our bball success will play a huge role. Our bball fan base, men's and women's, is rabid and will subscribe to any platform. That will be attractive to conferences when/if that becomes a future consideration. Cable boxes got Rutgers a seat, streaming could get us our own seat.

Reaction Score
Realignment isnt about Football, it's about brand value and markets. UConn, who can turn MSG, Barclays, and TD Garden into home games, is prime to become the first repeat champion since the 07 Gators. Our basketball revenue has skyrocketed to fourth in the nation and we've received a ton of media coverage - especially during this tournament alone

I wouldn't be surprised (considering the state of the ACC/B12) if UConn received an invite this summer. Seriously this time

Reaction Score
Realignment isnt about Football, it's about brand value and markets. UConn, who can turn MSG, Barclays, and TD Garden into home games, is prime to become the first repeat champion since the 07 Gators. Our basketball revenue has skyrocketed to fourth in the nation and we've received a ton of media coverage - especially during this tournament alone

I wouldn't be surprised (considering the state of the ACC/B12) if UConn received an invite this summer. Seriously this time
The ACC certainly has some thinking to do. This year it seems like at least a couple of teams are mapping out their future without them. Others may be targeted later. I the long run you need 16-18 football/basketball schools to survive financially. Lots to talk about but let's focus on getting these next 2 games. That target is still on our backs.

Reaction Score

For real for real?

Reaction Score
I think it matters and it continues to bolster our brand. We have been and always will be a basketball school first. If all this winning is what’s come as a result of conference realignment, then I’m a fan lol. Boston College “sponsored” the elite 8 venue - all that P4 money is really translating for their success.
Lol wut.

Reaction Score
For real for real?
Ignore him. He has absolutely no idea what he's talking about. Football drives the bus and uconn will be forgotten quickly even if uconn 3 peats. I wish basketball bought us a seat at the table. It wont
Ignore him, I think he's living 10 years in the past

Reaction Score
No, it doesn't matter to football success or conference realignment. But it matters for its own sake.

If you'd rather live like a Rutgers fans, never having any joy of success in anything but with your future as a Washington Generals of big time football secure, there are plenty of nice places to live in New Jersey. If you'd rather appreciate some winning, which is its own reward, then instead of focusing on this run for what it is not, how about focusing on what it is.

Reaction Score
It’s kinda like BB success hurts UConn perception in conference consideration. The Bb schools like UConn but the football teams don’t. Love it when teams from conferences that passed on UConn get beat by UConn.
If you read comments on other media sites, your post rings very true. Perception is always that UConn has been left behind despite basketball success.

Reaction Score
When the ACC implodes UCONN will get an invitation to join the schools left out of the SEC and the BIG 24 or so.
We are all hoping for something like that, but I would not count on it. For some reason, Cuse, BC, Pitt, don't realize that adding UConn would actually resurrect their flailing athletic programs.

Reaction Score
That's why it's so important we get football to a competitive level. Compete in football, have the top college basketball brand in the country between the men and women's team. Competitive in all the other sports and a top public university in the region that fills arenas from NYC to Boston. You'd think we'd be ripe for the picking. Maybe my shades are too tinted with blue?

Reaction Score
Maybe this belongs on the CR board and even then the points are arguably exaggerated, but as far as “mattering” it matters greatly for the most important thing, enjoying being a fan and having success. Wouldn’t dream of trading places with all the p4 schools who’s best success is going 8-4 and winning a mid tier bowl game and once in awhile sneaking into the 2nd round of the tournament

Reaction Score
I just don't know why there's a need to put down your own schools success even if it comes in a sport that you dont think much about. Like I don't really follow women's hockey but you best believe I was pumped when we won the Hockey east. Anytime UConn succeeds or is number one in something is something to be happy about.

But that's just me

Reaction Score
Ignore him. He has absolutely no idea what he's talking about. Football drives the bus and uconn will be forgotten quickly even if uconn 3 peats. I wish basketball bought us a seat at the table. It wont

Not sure if you are a dedicated UConn fan. If you're a New England-er and love college football please note there are a lot of empty seats on the BCU wagon.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If you read comments on other media sites, your post rings very true. Perception is always that UConn has been left behind despite basketball success.
Kinda think the football thing is a bit of an excuse and there is more to it. Theoretically UConn could improve and compete with P conference teams with the additional resources and improved recruiting that would likely come with inclusion. Schools that have experienced Down FB periods and not BB success have been invited.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom