The Undoing | The Boneyard

The Undoing

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Wife informed me that we need to watch this. It's on HBO, stars Nicole Kidman (who still floats my boat all these years later) and Hugh Grant. Has anybody seen this yet?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Wife informed me that we need to watch this. It's on HBO, stars Nicole Kidman (who still floats my boat all these years later) and Hugh Grant. Has anybody seen this yet?

My assistant just told me about this morning. She just started watching it and she recommended it to me.

Reaction Score
Pretty damn good, we've enjoyed the season. Finale is next week, quite a few twists and turns.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
So I'm now through 5 episodes. This remains a really compelling who done it, thriller. I have my theories, but the show does enough to keep me unsure about any of them.

Kidman: indeed is just gorgeous still. Acting is solid as well.
Sutherland: he has a talent for being creepy and intimidating that is really unmatched.
Grant: good to see him not trying to be funny. He plays it well.
Matilda De Angelis: Pretty darned attractive as well, and remarkably scary-weird.

Reaction Score
Without spoilers (I haven't started it yet), did this end up strong?

For instance, I watched The Outsider on HBO and felt like it was strong for the first 90% and limped home. I also felt the same about the first season of True Detective. Just wanted some idea of what to expect for the full series.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Without spoilers (I haven't started it yet), did this end up strong?

For instance, I watched The Outsider on HBO and felt like it was strong for the first 90% and limped home. I also felt the same about the first season of True Detective. Just wanted some idea of what to expect for the full series.

Well it's six episodes, not 11 or whatever. So from a pacing standpoint it is faster. I wouldn't say it limped home quite like Outsider. I just watched the final episode last night and would say it accelerates to the end fairly rapidly. Still feel it is worth a watch.

Reaction Score
I was able to watch the first 5 episodes On Demand..(I don't have HBO MAX)
When is the finale scheduled to play?

Reaction Score
The finale aired on Sunday (11/29)

Back a few posts to that point about The Outsider.. YES.. Talk about not sticking the landing, man did they drop the ball there!

I didn't love the finale of The Undoing, but I think it was a suitable ending.

Reaction Score
The series was intense. I was on the edge of my seat during the first 3 episodes. I was expecting some kind of twist at the end because if it was the same predictable murder mystery, It probably would not have even been made. I also did not love how they wrapped up the last 10 minutes of the finale.

Reaction Score
Spoiler alert. The ending seemed like a good opportunity to do one final flashback and Hugh Grant leaves the art studio after the argument, and shortly after, someone else enters. Although that would probably have required some tweaks earlier on in the series. Leaving the hammer in a bag on his own beach property seemed a bit convenient. He was literally 100 yards from the Ocean where he could have tossed it. Overall it was a solid series.

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Funny story about this one.

Mrs. 8893 and I finished The Queen's Gambit on Saturday and we agreed that this would be our next series. I asked her what channel it was on and she said she thought it was on Netflix. I checked Netflix and didn't see it, and then I thought I remembered it being on Showtime, so I just used the voice control on our Xfinity remote and said "The Undoing." It offered me an HBO viewing option so I clicked it without looking at the details.

It immediately brought me to the scene where they show the murder. I thought, "Huh, that's strange; must be one of those deals where the whole series is a flashback." We watched until the bridge scene with the helicopter and Kidman rescuing the kid.

And then it hit us. We must have tuned to the end of the final episode, which was being shown live on one of our HBO feeds.

I started bursting into uncontrollable laughter at the absurdity. Mrs. 8893 was not quite as amused. She was in shock, and I kept laughing harder the more astounded she was.

We did find it On Demand and watched the first episode, during which I couldn't help editorializing based on the forbidden fruit we had already eaten, frequently punctuating my comments with a maniacal laugh.

I've had at least a half dozen more spontaneous laughs about it since. We're still going to watch the series and she will never let me live it down.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Funny story about this one.

Mrs. 8893 and I finished The Queen's Gambit on Saturday and we agreed that this would be our next series. I asked her what channel it was on and she said she thought it was on Netflix. I checked Netflix and didn't see it, and then I thought I remembered it being on Showtime, so I just used the voice control on our Xfinity remote and said "The Undoing." It offered me an HBO viewing option so I clicked it without looking at the details.

It immediately brought me to the scene where they show the murder. I thought, "Huh, that's strange; must be one of those deals where the whole series is a flashback." We watched until the bridge scene with the helicopter and Kidman rescuing the kid.

And then it hit us. We must have tuned to the end of the final episode, which was being shown live on one of our HBO feeds.

I started bursting into uncontrollable laughter at the absurdity. Mrs. 8893 was not quite as amused. She was in shock, and I kept laughing harder the more astounded she was.

We did find it On Demand and watched the first episode, during which I couldn't help editorializing based on the forbidden fruit we had already eaten, frequently punctuating my comments with a maniacal laugh.

I've had at least a half dozen more spontaneous laughs about it since. We're still going to watch the series and she will never let me live it down.

Wow that is wild. The whole show really, is Hugh Grant doing such a good job of being maybe kind of guilty but also not guilty. Kidman is torn along with the audience, you just don't know. Then Donald Sutherland is just so damned creepy and intense and so obviously cant stand Grant that you think, could he have found out about the affair offed the woman and set up his son in law? Maybe. You know he has the means. Then her husband is also a possibility, he knows about the affair, knows the daughter isn't his.

So the ending is, not a surprise really. And a let down, but you look back and realize you were never really sure, even into that final episode.

By the way, their apartment is for sale. $25M.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom