The UConn Moose | The Boneyard

The UConn Moose

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Wow I didn't know that there were moose in CT. Surprising to see one in Storrs.

Reaction Score
All of the northern Connecticut border towns have moose now and then. They’ve even been seen along 95 in southern Connecticut. Most of them are in Northwest Connecticut but there is a solid little population in the Ellington, Somers, Tolland, Stafford and Union area. There was a fairly well-known family of them in Woodstock in the late 90s and early 2000s as well.

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
Until you see one up close, you can't really appreciate how big these animals are. I've seen them when I have been hiking over the years from a distance, but one time I had one walk right by my tent when I was backpacking up in Maine. It is pretty impressive... and intimidating.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Until you see one up close, you can't really appreciate how big these animals are. I've seen them when I have been hiking over the years from a distance, but one time I had one walk right by my tent when I was backpacking up in Maine. It is pretty impressive... and intimidating.
Just make sure you always have some muffins and jam to share with them and you should be fine.

At least that's what I read to my kids.

CL82

Reaction Score
Just make sure you always have some muffins and jam to share with them and you should be fine.
Food in the tent?!!

Suspicious Buffy The Vampire Slayer GIF

"I think 8893 is trying to kill me!"

FWIW, I've also had to deal with with quasi-aggressive bears over the years. I don't care how 'tough' you are when a bear comes into light of your campfire, it gets your adrenaline flowing. (And yeah we bear bagged 100 yards away, he didn't give a crap about that, the fire, our 'making ourselves big and making loud noises. We are used to wild animals avoiding us. When one looks you in the eyes, with a bored, "is that all you got?" expression on its face you immediately start calculating who is likely to be the slowest guy in the group... hoping it's not you.)

Last edited:

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Transfer from ME.
My father started at UConn, and, related to WW2, went to UM-Orono in his 3rd year before military deployment that, by wartime-related needs meeting happenstance & good fortune, resulted in him finishing his BS at Pitt and segueing into Medical School there.

FWIW, I've also had to deal with with quasi-aggressive bears over the years.
Quasi-agression is the worst!

JakeTheDog

Makin’ bacon pancakes
Reaction Score
they do have some frequency down in the beaver brook wetlands at Peoples State Forest, spring and fall.
https://portal.ct.gov/-/media/DEEP/stateparks/maps/Peoplespdf.pdf

Moose (ct.gov)
Yep! My grandpa had names for the different moose he saw up in Peoples and American Legion State Forests. This is dating back to at least the early nineties and maybe before. No one believed him when he told them moose were in the area but he identified at least four or five different moose over the years.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Food in the tent?!!

Suspicious Buffy The Vampire Slayer GIF

"I think 8893 is trying to kill me!"

FWIW, I've also had to deal with with quasi-aggressive bears over the years. I don't care how 'tough' you are when a bear comes into light of your campfire, it gets your adrenaline flowing. (And yeah we bear bagged 100 yards away, he didn't give a crap about that, the fire, our 'making ourselves big and making loud noises. We are used to wild animals avoiding us. When one looks you in the eyes, with a bored, "is that all you got?" expression on its face you immediately start calculating who is likely to be the slowest guy in the group... hoping it's not you.)
9780060244064-us.jpg

We've also hiked and camped among moose and bears several times, especially while driving to and from Alaska, and I agree with you about having a healthy respect for and apprehension of both. There were some nights when my then-girlfriend, now-wife refused to sleep in the tent for fear of bears after seeing signs of fresh activity nearby and we had to move everything to the front seats to make room for us to sleep in the back of my first-generation Pathfinder. Waking up to paw prints on the side of the car confirmed the wisdom in that decision at least one of those nights.

The scariest encounter we had was actually in the Adirondacks, where we had a little cabin with a front porch, and three young kids. And no bathroom except for the shared ones in the campground. When Mrs. 8893 and the kids opened the door to go to the bathroom, a 300+ pound bear was standing literally a few feet away right on our porch. They all screamed and I turned around just in time to see it before the door slammed. The bear played around on our porch for a while, knocking my Igloo Playmate cooler off the porch swing and apparently trying to open it.

It took at least an hour for us to muster the courage to go to the bathroom.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
So many young ignants on this board.

UConn? Moose?

Why has this not been brought up yet?
The original multisport stud at UConn.

young ignants? howzaboot old boomer coffee-obsessed ignants who think this has anything to do with the 'burner approved,' real harry and david moose munch snack awesomeness,. (dark chocolate version for me.)
19_964922_30W_01ex.jpg

only accept popcorn, nuts, chocolate, and such as real harry and david moose munch anything. coffeenuts are trying to ruin life as we know it. lol.

CL82

Reaction Score
9780060244064-us.jpg

We've also hiked and camped among moose and bears several times, especially while driving to and from Alaska, and I agree with you about having a healthy respect for and apprehension of both. There were some nights when my then-girlfriend, now-wife refused to sleep in the tent for fear of bears after seeing signs of fresh activity nearby and we had to move everything to the front seats to make room for us to sleep in the back of my first-generation Pathfinder. Waking up to paw prints on the side of the car confirmed the wisdom in that decision at least one of those nights.

The scariest encounter we had was actually in the Adirondacks, where we had a little cabin with a front porch, and three young kids. And no bathroom except for the shared ones in the campground. When Mrs. 8893 and the kids opened the door to go to the bathroom, a 300+ pound bear was standing literally a few feet away right on our porch. They all screamed and I turned around just in time to see it before the door slammed. The bear played around on our porch for a while, knocking my Igloo Playmate cooler off the porch swing and apparently trying to open it.

It took at least an hour for us to muster the courage to go to the bathroom.
I remember one time my wife had the same concern, but then I remembered that I saw a sign on the way up saying "bear left" so I figured we'd be fine.

The key to back country camping is no "smellables" in the tent. Hang them 100 yards away in a bear bag at least 12' off the ground and 5 feet from the trunk. Smellables include food, but also anything else with a scent, like toothpaste, bug spray, soap, shampoo, brillo pads etc. I'm not surprised about the cooler. I am surprised he didn't break it open or at least bat it around quite a bit.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The key to back country camping is no "smellables" in the tent. Hang them 100 yards away in a bear bag at least 12' off the ground and 5 feet from the trunk. Smellables include food, but also anything else with a scent, like toothpaste, bug spray, soap, shampoo, brillo pads etc. I'm not surprised about the cooler. I am surprised he didn't break it open or at least bat it around quite a bit.
Yeah we had to go through some in-park training before camping in Glacier and Denali. They gave us bear-proof containers for our smellables.

The Adirondack bear did bat the cooler around for a bit. It only had beer in it so I don't think he was very interested.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Yeah we had to go through some in-park training before camping in Glacier and Denali. They gave us bear-proof containers for our smellables.

The Adirondack bear did bat the cooler around for a bit. It only had beer in it so I don't think he was very interested.
Moose are big is right. Sitting in a secluded glen in Yellowstone saw a mother a calf walk up to the water no 10 meters away, "aww, how cute." Then comes papa with a full antler spread - just about !!!! my pants. Never saw anything as large ever again, including grizzly or bison.
Bears? I don't like tents, so I sleep in a bivvy sack, often with a mosquito screen. Over the decades, I had all sorts of animals stick their nose in my face when I'm sleeping - mice, voles, mountain goats, deer, elk, but sierra black bears - they lick you or at least they lick me. And boy, do I love bear cannisters, no more late nights trying to hang a bag. Ever hear of the flying bears of Vogelsang? Back in the 90's, at the Vogelsang campsite in Yosemite, bears climbed the trees adjacent to the trees where the food bags were hanging and would leap from the tree and grab the bag on the way down. Effectively they are 600 lb racoons.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Wow I didn't know that there were moose in CT. Surprising to see one in Storrs.
There have been. moose on occasion in the I 95 corridor around Madison.

Reaction Score
Here's what a bear did to a friend's Cobra in Alaska a few years ago. He forgot he left a sleeve of Fig Newton's behind the driver's seat and this is what he found the next morning.
Torn top, dent in top of trunk and missing Fig Newtons.........
1620684231064.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom