The UConn big man with a big goal: New Haven's Travis Jones expects to 'dominate' (Bonjour @ Hearst) | The Boneyard

The UConn big man with a big goal: New Haven's Travis Jones expects to 'dominate' (Bonjour @ Hearst)

Reaction Score

-> Defensive line coach Dennis Dottin-Carter put it this way: “He looks more like a man. He was always big, but he’s really changed his body. He pushes himself as much or harder than anybody else that’s out there.” <-

-> Jones, a captain and one of the Huskies’ most indispensable players, understands the example he must set for his team. “Growing up in New Haven, I’ve been watching these guys play for a long time,” Jones said. “To be able to become a captain is a great honor. I know guys look up to me. If they see me stepping up and doing the right things, they’re going to follow.” <-

-> His technique got better since the last time we played,” defensive coordinator Lou Spanos said. “He’s gotten stronger, and he also improved his foot quickness and overall play speed.”

Enough that Jones, with two years of eligibility remaining, has generated buzz as an NFL prospect. He knows, it too. But that’s not his focus at the moment. “It’s still to play (college) football and have fun,” Jones said. <-

Reaction Score

Alternate access link here <<

-> For all the success he’s had on the field and praise he’s received off of it, Jones remains a quiet star. He answers questions succinctly and does his best to deflect individual praise and accolades.

Awards, professional football, it all could be in the cards for the subdued run-stopper from New Haven. While he made his best efforts to push those thoughts into his subconscious, even he had to admit that, physically, he feels different.

“I feel stronger,” Jones said. “I’ve been putting up great numbers in the weight room, and I also feel faster out here running. I feel like I can play the whole game without getting tired now.” <-

Reaction Score

-> 13. Travis Jones, UConn, defensive lineman

One of the best-kept secrets in college football, the 6-5, 328-pounder registered 11.5 TFLs in his first two college seasons. With the Huskies unable to play in 2020, Jones didn’t get a chance to show just how much he’s developed there. This is a guy who arrived in Storrs at 360 pounds with 30 percent body fat. He’s 32 pounds lighter now, and his body fat is down to a staggering 13 percent. Jones benches 455 and has done 32 reps at 225. He hang cleans 405 and squats 615. His vertical is 28.5 inches, and his shuttle time of 4.57 is even more impressive. (Former Auburn star Derrick Brown, a top-10 overall pick who was almost the exact same weight, ran it in 4.79 at the 2020 combine.) Jones has an 82.5-inch wingspan and a strong 7.41 time in the 3-cone. <-

Reaction Score

One of the best-kept secrets in college football, the 6-5, 328-pounder registered 11.5 TFLs in his first two college seasons. With the Huskies unable to play in 2020, Jones didn’t get a chance to show just how much he’s developed there. This is a guy who arrived in Storrs at 360 pounds with 30 percent body fat. He’s 32 pounds lighter now, and his body fat is down to a staggering 13 percent. Jones benches 455 and has done 32 reps at 225. He hang cleans 405 and squats 615. His vertical is 28.5 inches, and his shuttle time of 4.57 is even more impressive. (Former Auburn star Derrick Brown, a top-10 overall pick who was almost the exact same weight, ran it in 4.79 at the 2020 combine.) Jones has an 82.5-inch wingspan and a strong 7.41 time in the 3-cone. <-

He's completely transformed himself. I think he's gonna be a big menace on the field and will probably command double teams consistently. Which frees up a LB to blitz and pressure the QB.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score

To me, the big difference is now he will get to the ball faster and make the play for a TFL or sack.

Reaction Score
He can really play himself into a late 1st or early second round pick. I hope he is dominant even though he's gonna be double and possible triple teamed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom