The type of kid that Geno wants on his team | The Boneyard

The type of kid that Geno wants on his team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A look at the UConn women’s basketball recruiting class: 2016-17

The embedded video, which is from this year's Final Four, features some remarkably stern words from Geno about the increasingly prevalent me-first attitude among players and the team-first attitude that he demands (or else) from his players.
HE is why I'm not worried about the future. No one is nearly as good at seeing potential talent AND then getting it out on the floor!

Reaction Score
A look at the UConn women’s basketball recruiting class: 2016-17

The embedded video, which is from this year's Final Four, features some remarkably stern words from Geno about the increasingly prevalent me-first attitude among players and the team-first attitude that he demands (or else) from his players.

Kayla and Molly Bent are the kind of kids he wants on HIS teams. Coachable and fundamentally strong, ie plays knowing the fundamentals of the game.

Reaction Score
Lots has been written about CRYSTAL Dangerfield ==will she start , won't she start--will she start this year or next? Geno said it all, reading between the lines, if she practices hard and works into the flow of his starting 4 (plus 1) she'll get good time at the point. I'm anxious to see how geno plays her in the Baylor game and the ND game--that will be telling if she get good minutes in those --Crystal is his point guard--Geno didn't "trust" Moriah until the post season--his guards met with Geno and told hiim to trust Moriah..

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I still don't believe that (bad body language or "acting like a 12-year-old") was the real reason why Stewie and Morgan were benched in the Memphis game in February, 2015. They had only played a couple of minutes, and they had scored all of the team's points when they were pulled. I also don't believe that Morgan, in particular, would ever have acted that way.

It's possible that the coaches sensed some complacency in the team as a whole about the ease of beating AAC teams, and he wanted everyone to feel a greater sense of urgency about that game.

But it makes for a good motivational speech.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"Don't get me started...." Imagine if he got started. :rolleyes: Geno has said that if he was just getting started in coaching today, he wouldn't, referring to all the stuff that goes on currently and I think this was pretty much what he was alluding to.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I still don't believe that (bad body language or "acting like a 12-year-old") was the real reason why Stewie and Morgan were benched in the Memphis game in February, 2015. They had only played a couple of minutes, and they had scored all of the team's points when they were pulled. I also don't believe that Morgan, in particular, would ever have acted that way.

It's possible that the coaches sensed some complacency in the team as a whole about the ease of beating AAC teams, and he wanted everyone to feel a greater sense of urgency about that game.

It is also seldom about a single game when Geno sits someone - it is more likely to be about a trend that has been developing over a few games or a few weeks which has been addressed in practice, but not corrected in games

Reaction Score

I agree---Kids will be kids, many adults will be kids, but not for Geno and not on the court.

It is just possible that Geno wanted to allow Memphis to escape with some level of ego intact.
He does not believe in his kids slowing down or not playing at a very high level--but if he pulls a huge chunk of scoring--things get a tiny bit closer--AND his guys who normally sit long minutes get to show their stuff.

Reaction Score
We will never know Geno's true thoughts during that game but we all have our own ideas! Mine is twofold:
1. He told Tuck and Stewie to do something in particular regardless of what Memphis did. They didn't do that to his satisfaction, so in spite of seeming to play well to us, he yanked them.
2. He wanted the subs to play when it was meaningful and feel some pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom