The Two Best Parts of the ND Game. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Two Best Parts of the ND Game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I went to the Stanford game at Maples two years ago, and Geno called a timeout right before a media timeout. When the media timeout came, two Stanford alums next to me (they were very proud of being Stanford alums, they told me all about it before the game) were yelling that he was "cheating" and taking too many timeouts. :confused:

Reaction Score
One of the things I like on their (Notre Dame) board, their presumption that their players are going to get better as the season goes along and that UConn won't. UConn has had to replace two extraordinary players that were an integral part of this time. Morgan and Kia playing so well really has me pumped. If they can continue to play with this same energy, we should be scary, scary by season's end.

Reaction Score
For me it was--
1) The deafening silence of the crowd after Unonn's first half run. They came to party and left with the Huskies dancing all over their home court.

2) Lauren Cox in the building. " Let me think. Do I want to play for these guys or THESE GUYS!!!!!!!!!!" That game was hardly a good recruiting tool for ND.

What were the things you enjoyed the most. Tuck? Stokes?
Napheesa was also at the game, think she spoke to Lauren about a possible visit to UConn ??

Reaction Score
Uconn did not only lose two AA from last year's team but this has also changed the roles of the remaining three of last year's starting five. As different combinations of players were being tried, first few games were all won by large margins. Stanford game exposed and in a way accelerated what needed to be corrected and also energized the players.

Tuck and Nurse are now a part of the starting five. Stewart and KML will get better and more confident as they get used to their new roles. As the sixth player there is no better defensive center than Stokes. With Jefferson, Chong and especially Gabby (she has the most potential to improve, her performance per minute is one of the best, she will get better as her playing time increases) as additional players to choose from, Geno is beginning to see best combination of players.

This was obvious during the ND game.
IT WAS THE BEST DEFENSIVE EFFORT OF THE YEAR. THIS TEAM WILL GET BETTER.

Reaction Score
The thing I liked about the game was the look on little miss muffet's face when things started to fall apart for the Irish. You know the look where she is about to cry because things aren't going her way. We also see that same look on Duke's coac face. The Irish players are struggling on the court and look to the sidelines for guideance and see their coach ready to cry. THAT'S PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
That is awesome HuskyPhan! One of my most memorable games was at Rutgers. The last loss before the 90 game streak. Epiph Prince lit us up for 33 I think. We were up and in control. But when things went bad, that place is a rough tough place to play and keep your composure. Vulgarity es from many fans. Concrete echoes, and old time stands right down to the court. When we inbound balls, you have to fend off fans as well as Rutgers starting 5. And they hate Geno. Not sure it's the same now? When Geno comes out or is introduced- boos, clapping , Mix?

OMG-did that crowd boo Geno when he was announced. I looked down at Geno and he did a hilarious shoulder shrug-like, hey, what did I do? It was priceless! I have to say the ND fan base demographic is exactly the same as ours-a lot of white hair visible (no offense meant to anyone-at 50 I started getting my AARP mailers this year!) and a smattering of families with young kids. The season ticket holder who gave me our tickets told me after Geno was announced that she DOES NOT LIKE GENO! Now here is a sweet grandmothery fan listing examples on why she doesn't like Geno-she was complaining at the end of the game that Geno still had most of the starters in. The fans around me however, were pretty amazed at what Morgan, Kia and Kiah were doing-although mostly under their breath!!

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
OMG-did that crowd boo Geno when he was announced. I looked down at Geno and he did a hilarious shoulder shrug-like, hey, what did I do? It was priceless! I have to say the ND fan base demographic is exactly the same as ours-a lot of white hair visible (no offense meant to anyone-at 50 I started getting my AARP mailers this year!) and a smattering of families with young kids. The season ticket holder who gave me our tickets told me after Geno was announced that she DOES NOT LIKE GENO! Now here is a sweet grandmothery fan listing examples on why she doesn't like Geno-she was complaining at the end of the game that Geno still had most of the starters in. The fans around me however, were pretty amazed at what Morgan, Kia and Kiah were doing-although mostly under their breath!!
Thks so much for this note- these are the things that I love to hear about!! When we went down yo Baylor our first time- the telecast crew included Jeff Van Gundy. Doris mad a pt to say - "when Geno came out of the portal, the entire stadium of 15,000 erupted into a standing ovation, and a second one when Geno and Mulkey met at Half court. Then Van Gundy said, he deserved a standing ovation for the practice Jeff saw the day prior. Jeff said , and I,m paraphrasing, "I've watched many of the greatest coaches in the history of basketball, and never seen a better practice!
He couldn't say enough about Geno. Keep sharing little tid bits if u think of anything else! :)

Reaction Score
For me it was--
1) The deafening silence of the crowd after Unonn's first half run. They came to party and left with the Huskies dancing all over their home court.

2) Lauren Cox in the building. " Let me think. Do I want to play for these guys or THESE GUYS!!!!!!!!!!" That game was hardly a good recruiting tool for ND.

What were the things you enjoyed the most. Tuck? Stokes?

Watching Greg Stokes and family sitting right behind the UConn bench reminded me of Vincenzo Pentangeli sitting stone-faced at the Don Corleone Senate hearing, supporting his brother Frankie Pentangeli in his most dire moment and inspiring him, whether via fear or a desire to please, to perform at heretofore unimagined heights.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If the ND women have such great fans, why can't I find a discussion board? The only thing I found was a single thread about Turner in the middle of a zillion postings about the men. Did I miss something?

The best they came up with is McGraw's Bench @ND Nation, but like the wbb team they put on the court, it can't touch The Boneyard.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Watching Greg Stokes and family sitting right behind the UConn bench reminded me of Vincenzo Pentangeli sitting stone-faced at the Don Corleone Senate hearing, supporting his brother Frankie Pentangeli in his most dire moment and inspiring him, whether via fear or a desire to please, to perform at heretofore unimagined heights.
there are some real live wires on this board- I love it!

HuskyPup

Dislikes Notur-Daim
Reaction Score
Saturday was a great basketball environment...especially when we were beating ND's you know what!
I was sitting behind the UConn families on Saturday and my 2 best parts of the game were:

1) In the second half when Kiah blocked Lloyd's shot and somehow ND got the ball back and passed to Lloyd who because of Kiah's sheer physical defensive presence forced Lloyd to shoot the ball into the side of the backboard to which Kiah ferociously snared the rebound as if to say "this might have been your house yesterday but today this is MY house" ! I loved that!

2) Hearing Kiah's Stokes' sweet grandmother yell "That's Bullsh** !" after Kiah was called for a foul on a monstrous block of Jewell Lloyd's layup. I expected that from her dad but grandmother..... LOL ! Priceless!!!!!

Reaction Score
Re: replicating Kiah's (long overdue) monster game vs. ND- Would it be an NCAA rules violation if I were to purchase 1st class airline tickets for Greg Stokes (and family) to every UConn wbb game? Believing dad's presence was in large part the motivational spark for Kiah's aggressive, dominant performance, my checkbook and pen are at the ready.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
The Stanford game was a Wake Up Call.

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve." Isoroku Yamamoto

GREAT Quote

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I went to the Stanford game at Maples two years ago, and Geno called a timeout right before a media timeout. When the media timeout came, two Stanford alums next to me (they were very proud of being Stanford alums, they told me all about it before the game) were yelling that he was "cheating" and taking too many timeouts. :confused:

Didn't so much with thatda 'spensive edumacashun....they shouda known rules

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Better true story. I was at a WBB game there when DT was playing for us. I sat next to 2 nuns that HATED her. They, stopped just short of cursing her out the whole game. I was having a great time with them and at one point said, kind of tongue on cheek, that their treatment of DT wasn't very christian. Sister Ann didn't miss a beat, smiled sweetly at me and said, "Jesus will forgive us; you, we're not so sure of."

One should never over-stereotype nuns. When I was a high school senior, I was driving home from school with a friend. We were on Mountain Road in West Hartford. Those who have been there will recall the hilliness of the road. As we crested one of the hills, a convertible sports car, top down, came at us from the opposite direction. I mean to tell you - it was cruising. In it were two nuns, in full habit, each wearing the most awesome aviator sun glasses. 45 years later, I can still see the absolute gleeful look on their faces!

Reaction Score
I liked seeing Butler on the bench taking in the rivalry first hand. I also liked the big line up Uconn used, Nurse, KML, Stewie,Tuck, and Stokes. Could be a preview of a even bigger line up next year with Butler at the 5 and Lou at the 2.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Re: replicating Kiah's (long overdue) monster game vs. ND- Would it be an NCAA rules violation if I were to purchase 1st class airline tickets for Greg Stokes (and family) to every UConn wbb game? Believing dad's presence was in large part the motivational spark for Kiah's aggressive, dominant performance, my checkbook and pen are at the ready.

Probably, but I think you be safe sending me the tickets instead! I'd be glad to hold the Greg Stokes cut-out. Same positive impact, no cause for future SEC whining! :p

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Saturday was a great basketball environment...especially when we were beating ND's you know what!
I was sitting behind the UConn families on Saturday and my 2 best parts of the game were:

1) In the second half when Kiah blocked Lloyd's shot and somehow ND got the ball back and passed to Lloyd who because of Kiah's sheer physical defensive presence forced Lloyd to shoot the ball into the side of the backboard to which Kiah ferociously snared the rebound as if to say "this might have been your house yesterday but today this is MY house" ! I loved that!

2) Hearing Kiah's Stokes' sweet grandmother yell "That's Bullsh** !" after Kiah was called for a foul on a monstrous block of Jewell Lloyd's layup. I expected that from her dad but grandmother..... LOL ! Priceless!!!!!
That is awesome!!! Thanks for sharing. When Kiah mostly (who had a few), and Morgan had a couple blocks and recovered their blocks, and Kiah had a few multiple stops, we were coming out of our skin! Impossible to see anything more intimidating!!!

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
I liked seeing Butler on the bench taking in the rivalry first hand. I also liked the big line up Uconn used, Nurse, KML, Stewie,Tuck, and Stokes. Could be a preview of a even bigger line up next year with Butler at the 5 and Lou at the 2.
Would have loved to see Tina Charles, Dolson, Lobo, Aja Jones & Stokes- with Butler off the bench at the point!!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom