The truth finally comes out | The Boneyard

The truth finally comes out

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
When Maya was still at UConn, Geno insisted that Diana was the better player. Part of that statement was intended to motivate Maya.

Now that Maya is gone, she is cited by Geno in teaching moments for others. From Jeff Jacobs on the former and current #23:

"Anybody who tries to compare them, and I've read it a lot of places, that she has got the skill set of Maya — no, she doesn't," Auriemma said. "She's a great shooter. She's not as athletic as Maya. Doesn't elevate like Maya. Doesn't defend like Maya. Doesn't rebound like Maya. Then again nobody else has either. First game Maya ever played she's the most dominant player every possession. I think it's unfair to compare her to Maya.

"Kaleena does shoot the ball as well as anybody I've ever seen coming out of high school … even better than Maya as a freshman. It seems like every time the ball leaves her hand it's going in. She knows it. Everybody knows it. She has something nobody else has. We just have to make sure she has some other things she has to have to be a great player."

So, Maya dominated every possession from game 1. Wow! She was simply on a different plane--or planet--than everyone else.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Continuation of post:

Does Kaleena sound like a shooter, or what?

Suggestion to Kaleena and all: part of what made Maya great was that she almost never took a possession off. Stay focused. Stay in the game. And don't let fatigue get the best of you. Maya was and still is a role model for all.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Great piece by JJ on KML and Andre Drummond (whom KML has befriended). Here's the link to Jeff's column: http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...-column-1013-20111013,0,7086860.column?page=2

I liked this part about KML:

"She is smart. Asked what she brings to the team she answered, "Whatever Coach Auriemma wants … My 1-on-1 defense needs the most work. It has gotten a lot better the last month."

It's pretty funny listening to these wunderkinds talk about Hall of Fame coaches. KML said she got beat three times at practice before the summer European trip. Geno wasted no time to play the number card.

"Gosh, Kaleena, you should not even be wearing No. 23!" she said. "You should be Double 0! No! Triple 0!" KML said. "OK, Coach, I understand. Do better. Got it."

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
h
"Gosh, Kaleena, you should not even be wearing No. 23!" she said. "You should be Double 0! No! Triple 0!" KML said. "OK, Coach, I understand. Do better. Got it."

Double 0... no Triple 0! thats funny stuff

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
["Gosh, Kaleena, you should not even be wearing No. 23!" she said. "You should be Double 0! No! Triple 0!" KML said. "OK, Coach, I understand. Do better. Got it."[/quote]

Does anyone really think Geno used the word "gosh?"

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
["Gosh, Kaleena, you should not even be wearing No. 23!" she said. "You should be Double 0! No! Triple 0!" KML said. "OK, Coach, I understand. Do better. Got it."

Does anyone really think Geno used the word "gosh?"[/quote]
Something else with the same number of letters.

Coach will remind her of what the former #23 did in an effort to motivate her.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
KML is way ahead of Geno... she may even be more like a college DT than a college MM when all is said and done. (yeah she may pat him on his rear-end)

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
KML is way ahead of Geno... she may even be more like a college DT than a college MM when all is said and done. (yeah she may pat him on his rear-end)
Spot on. She is much more like DT than Moore. Not quite the same swagger, but she is every bit as confident in her skills.

4 years of KML will be fantastic!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger