The trump card | The Boneyard

The trump card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Why would Miller, Gibbs and now Larrier pass on opportunities to play for big name schools in p5 conferences? We all know there is nothing exciting about coming to the AAC to play the likes of Tulane, USF, Houston and East Carolina (possibly twice...ugh)

The lack of appeal to play in the AAC can be a real threat to a program's ability to recruit new talent -- unless you have a trump card.

I think KO is our trump card over all our AAC woes.

based on what i've seen over the last few weeks ....i think his credentials, his ability to relate to young men and to adapt his recruiting strategy (ie: lots of transfers) is more than enough to off-set the inherent challenges of being stuck in the dark cave known as the American Conference. Obviously wearing the UConn brand with all our success is icing on the cake ---> but i believe KO is the decisive factor for these young men.

Do you think we can thrive as a national power in the AAC as long as KO is coach? Is there longevity to what i'm suggesting above or are we dealing with too small of a sample size and not enough data?
Do you think what we're seeing with recruiting high quality transfers is sustainable? I absolutely love KO's inverted approach to recruiting "1 and done" type players ... (seniors like Gibbs, Miller)

I'm still hoping we still get out of the AAC --- but i can be a bit more patient now that we have a trump card.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
I think KO knows something and is pitching the B1G idea to these youngin's.
That wouldn't explain Gibbs and Miller. If we just had one commit for 2016 plus one transfer I don't think we'd be seeing this recruiting hype conversation in the first place.

Having said that, I think we heard stories about that in the past when Rutgers et al were about to make their jumps.

Reaction Score
Why would Miller, Gibbs and now Larrier pass on opportunities to play for big name schools in p5 conferences? We all know there is nothing exciting about coming to the AAC to play the likes of Tulane, USF, Houston and East Carolina (possibly twice...ugh)

The lack of appeal to play in the AAC can be a real threat to a program's ability to recruit new talent -- unless you have a trump card.

based on what i've seen over the last few weeks ....i think his credentials, his ability to relate to young men and to adapt his recruiting strategy (ie: lots of transfers) is more than enough to off-set the inherent challenges of being stuck in the dark cave known as the American Conference. Obviously wearing the UConn brand with all our success is icing on the cake ---> but i believe KO is the decisive factor for these young men.

Do you think we can thrive as a national power in the AAC as long as KO is coach? Is there longevity to what i'm suggesting above or are we dealing with too small of a sample size and not enough data?
Do you think what we're seeing with recruiting high quality transfers is sustainable? I absolutely love KO's inverted approach to recruiting "1 and done" type players ... (seniors like Gibbs, Miller)

I'm still hoping we still get out of the AAC --- but i can be a bit more patient now that we have a trump card.

Spot on. Our chance to go P5 heavily depends on:
* KO keeps us a national power and branded in the minds of P5 commissioners. Evidenced by his success, kids he's recruited and why they come here. He is the man and a trump card.
* Diaco propels us to football dominance at the AAC level and OOC games. Two more years of patience required. Re-trump.
* Manuel continues his good work directing athletics. Multiple championships. Superior academic support. Continues to expand and strengthen his network.
* Herbst's goals of research, AAU and endowment become shining bright realities and thrust us higher into the academisphere.

Reaction Score
Two coaches that provided the same opportunity: getting prepared to play at the next level. Calhoun certainly had his share of NBA players and there may not be another college coach anywhere that understands what is needed for a college player to take the next step to the NBA then KO.

Reaction Score
Gibbs said our OOC schedule made up for our conference slate. We traded cupcakes for marquee OOC matchups in the early season to offset the cupcakes were playing in conference.

The problem I have with relying on the OOC is that the majority of those games happen when the team is still green before the new year. Especially for a team with a lot of new parts. In addition, if you get knocked out early in those pre-season tourneys because of inexperience, you don't even make it to the good match-ups. A lot to risk a season on if you can't fall back on conference play.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
The problem I have with relying on the OOC is that the majority of those games happen when the team is still green before the new year. Especially for a team with a lot of new parts. In addition, if you get knocked out early in those pre-season tourneys because of inexperience, you don't even make it to the good match-ups. A lot to risk a season on if you can't fall back on conference play.
Agreed, but that's out of scope for the recruiting impact.

Reaction Score
KO is excelling in a tough situation and the Gibbs get is big because he certainly could have gone to talented P5 schools, so for that he was the trump card undoubtedly.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Take this with quite a few grains of salt....

There are rumbles of us being invited to the Big 12 within the next few weeks based off sources that have been pretty reliable in the past.
Is this reliable source blind from drinking WV moonshine? Just checking.

Reaction Score
It may be because we are going to win the Nat'l Championship this year and that is something more special than temporary conference affiliation.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Gibbs said our OOC schedule made up for our conference slate. We traded cupcakes for marquee OOC matchups in the early season to offset the cupcakes were playing in conference.
And additionally, I'm hoping/expecting that the AAC gets more respect this year. I think we have at least 3 and maybe 4 teams who are possible top 25'ish teams, or at least teams who should make the NCAA's. The conference is improving. While I still want out ASAP, if we are stuck in it for any length of time, we might as well make the best of it. I agree we need to keep scheduling top tier schools OOC. Try to limit as much as possible the Hartford's, Fairfield's, Sacred Heart's, etc - low RPI but somewhat local schools.

Reaction Score
Big 12 just announced a split of 252 million revenue, with schools getting 25 million, not including separate deals like ESPN and Texas reported to be 15 million. A touch more than we get?

Eskapeesto

The specter of ExtraPesto is haunting the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Now that UCONN has the trump card, it can build the greatest, most luxurious roster in the world. It has the classiest backcourt known to man and its front court is solid gold. The 2015-16 season is gonna be hUUUGE!!!
donald-trump.jpg

Reaction Score
It may be because we are going to win the Nat'l Championship this year and that is something more special than temporary conference affiliation.

Wouldn't that be sweet? It would force one helluva lot of Husky detractors to finally STFU.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score

I always felt our guys were better prepared coming out of the gate than most teams and this would be to our advantage. Not last year but 2014, 13 and u nder Calhoun.

Reaction Score
I always felt our guys were better prepared coming out of the gate than most teams and this would be to our advantage. Not last year but 2014, 13 and u nder Calhoun.

We certainly proved that against MSU in Germany. Huge freakin W. Not saying we can't do it, just not my favorable risk position. I'd prefer to ride my money on our March position.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I agree KO is a major factor, but ultimately I think our trump card is that we are Uconn. We are one of only seven other schools that have the same pedigree in college basketball, and the only one with more national championships in the past two decades. You can't discount our program name and stature as a major trump card.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01