The Trouble with Sundays | The Boneyard

The Trouble with Sundays

Reaction Score
I am not sure if this is a strange coincidence or something else, but both losses (Maryland & ND) and 2 of the 3 worst performances of the season (Georgetown & Nova) came in early Sunday games. It seems odd to me that 4 of the 5 problem games would be early Sunday when only 1 of 18 evening games went wrong (although still resulted in a 10 point win vs Providence). They have had some nice early Sunday wins including NC State & FSU so if there is a Sunday jinx it doesn’t always strike. I am trying to come up with an explanation for this other than coincidence, so I’m wondering if perhaps their minds/bodies aren’t quite used to being ‘up’ for a game at that time of day since most games in high school and college are late afternoon or evening. Does anyone have any theories or is it purely coincidence?

I am just hoping that the curse of the Sunday game doesn’t strike again!

Reaction Score
It is difficult to have a shoot around before an early Sunday game

Jim

Reaction Score
Those were away games. Maybe the travel and early game will bother South Carolina instead of UConn.
I would have guessed the -25 F wind chill in Hartford Saturday morning would have more of an effect. Unfortunately (or fortunately from your point of view), it is expected to warm up by game time. Hopefully the SC shooting will stay cold.

Reaction Score
Don't watch "Friday The Thirteen" too much ...

Reaction Score
Those were away games. Maybe the travel and early game will bother South Carolina instead of UConn.
G'town and 'Nova were "home" games (XL Center).

As far as an "early game" jinx, I assume that reference is to a start other than evening. Our two losses were afternoon games (2 pm CST at Notre Dame, and 3 pm EST at Maryland).

It's really weekend day games in general that have given us the biggest scares. Other than easy victories over NC State (Sun., Nov. 20) and Butler (Sat., Jan. 21), we have struggled to beat Iowa (Sun., Nov. 27), Florida State (Sun., Dec. 18), Marquette (Sat., Dec. 31), G'town (Sun., Jan. 15), and Villanova (Sun., Jan. 29). Win or lose, I anticipate this Sunday at noon will be no different.

sun

Reaction Score
UConn women love sundaes.

Last edited:

Kat

Reaction Score
Blaming early Sunday is really stretching it. How about giving some credit to the opponents' efforts?

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
...is that it's followed by Monday.
It's just another manic Monday (Woah, woah)
I wish it was Sunday (Woah, woah)
'Cause that's my fun day (Woah, woah, woah, woah)
My I don't have to run day (Woah, woah)
It's just another manic Monday

Reaction Score
I am not sure if this is a strange coincidence or something else, but both losses (Maryland & ND) and 2 of the 3 worst performances of the season (Georgetown & Nova) came in early Sunday games. It seems odd to me that 4 of the 5 problem games would be early Sunday when only 1 of 18 evening games went wrong (although still resulted in a 10 point win vs Providence). They have had some nice early Sunday wins including NC State & FSU so if there is a Sunday jinx it doesn’t always strike. I am trying to come up with an explanation for this other than coincidence, so I’m wondering if perhaps their minds/bodies aren’t quite used to being ‘up’ for a game at that time of day since most games in high school and college are late afternoon or evening. Does anyone have any theories or is it purely coincidence?

I am just hoping that the curse of the Sunday game doesn’t strike again!
Why did you have to bring that up? Now I have to take 2 additional Tums. Thank you very much! :(

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom