The Transformation of Christyn Williams | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Transformation of Christyn Williams

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
She has always been an opportunistic player who takes what the defense gives her. This means she plays better when she is not the focus and has other players on her team who can score. I think having Paige on the team makes a real difference.
This does not describe Christyn's improved game at all. In fact, taking what defenses give her had been her problem. Defenses have been willing to give Christyn perimeter shots all game long figuring she'll miss more than she'll make. Christyn gets in to trouble when she does exactly what the defense wants her to do. It's been her aggressiveness, her willingness to impose her will on defenses that has led to improved production and efficiency.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Christyn Williams has long been known as a great scorer, from her days in HS to her arrival on campus at UConn. In her 7th game Christyn confirmed that status with a 28 pt explosion in a huge win at ND. She had some ups and downs her freshman year, but on a team full of AA’s, Christyn flew somewhat under the radar as the 5th scoring option. More importantly, Christyn stepped up big in the postseason, averaging 17 ppg in 5 NCAA games, second only to Pheesa.

As a result, expectations were sky high for Christyn’s sophomore year. Unfortunately, during that season Christyn was inconsistent. Her confidence seemed fragile at times and she started pressing. When she didn’t score, Christyn had a tendency to disappear from games. Towards the end of her sophomore season, Christyn started to pull things together, but the pandemic shut down the season just short of the Big Dance.

Heading into her junior season, Christyn was named one of the team captains. We all hoped she had turned the corner. But as the season stumbled through early shutdowns and cancellations, Christyn once again struggled with inconsistency. Some folks here on the BY went as far as to suggest that Geno remove Christyn from the starting lineup for the good of the team.

Christyn is an incredibly hard worker. Her off-season strength and conditioning training would drop most people in their tracks. She is as committed to her teammates as any UConn Husky. If you view yourself as a scorer, and you’re not scoring, you might just feel that you are letting your team down. Every great scorer has off nights. Most just shake it off and get you the next game. In Christyn’s case, one mediocre game might lead to another, and maybe another still.

Geno is extraordinarily adept at reading his players and finding the key to unlocking their potential. With Christyn, he had to find something she could succeed at game after game, other than scoring. He has been pushing Christyn to contribute in other ways for three seasons. But it’s only been over the last month or so that we’ve seen the full transformation of Christyn Williams the scorer, into Christyn Williams the lock down defender.

For several weeks now, Christyn has drawn the toughest g/w defensive assignment in every game. Christyn’s exceptional strength, conditioning and athleticism permit her to suffocate opponents on D. It is also clear from her postgame comments that Christyn takes great pride in her defense, quite a change from the high scoring kid from Arkansas that showed up in Storrs in 2018. Best of all, Christyn’s focus on defense has set her free on offense. She is attacking the basket, pulling up from mid-range and hitting shots from the arc.

In the recently completed BE tournament, Christyn’s transformation was on full display. With some help from her teammates, Christyn held the 3 highest scoring players on St Johns, Nova & Marquette collectively to 12 pts on 5/33 shooting. On offense, Christyn scored 56 pts on 22/42 shooting. Geno said it best after the Nova game, “When Christyn plays like that, we’re a championship team.”

Bring on the Big Dance……
I think we need to forward this post to our colleague that commented that you were "brief" in your comments...Detailed-yes, insightful-yes, logical-mostly, pithy-NO WAY...
But we all love you anyway! :cool:

Reaction Score
Geno pushed CW this year as hard as he pushed Tina Charles her Junior year to get to the next level. Results are starting to pay-off.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I'm a long time lurker & a first time poster here. I was born in Hartford Hospital and grew up in Simsbury long ago before I headed out to take on the world. But for me, Connecticut will always be home. Like so many, I've loved this team ever since I lay on the floor in front of the TV in my Houston apartment and watched the 1st Tennessee game in '95.

I'm a big time random thinker. So, thinking randomly, let's assume for a second that UCONN wins it all this year and gets #12. Title #13 would instantly look pretty good for next year with Azzi and crew coming in. Wouldn't it be cool if #13 (CW) gets to cut down the net for championship #13 in her last game in a UCONN uniform?
Glad to have you Veteran. I can't say welcome because you're not a "newbie." I Look forward to reading your thoughts and concerns about our team going forward. :)

Reaction Score
What I find so subtle, even counter-intuitive (as I noted in the Geno postgame thread).
Is that coach somehow knew that focusing Christyn's mind on something other (bigger) than her errant shot, would be the key to unlocking the offensive potential, in plain view since Junior High School...
Remember, she was a #1 recruit.

I dimly recall Geno using that technique in the past; for the life of me can't remember for whom...perhaps someone can help...But in this case the medication has had a startling effect; that drive to the hoop, switching hands was a classic; never saw that before...

If Professor G's treatment continues towards completion of a cure; as he said: If Christyn plays like that...

Maybe it was Hartley when she moved to the bench for that 1 year?

Reaction Score
This does not describe Christyn's improved game at all. In fact, taking what defenses give her had been her problem. Defenses have been willing to give Christyn perimeter shots all game long figuring she'll miss more than she'll make. Christyn gets in to trouble when she does exactly what the defense wants her to do. It's been her aggressiveness, her willingness to impose her will on defenses that has led to improved production and efficiency.
Doing what the defense wants you to do is not really being oppertunistic. If you are not hitting your outside shot then you just do not take them. I guess I did not make that clear in my post. What I meant is that she can not really created shots off the dribble when defended well like Paige can. Even on her drives she either needs her defender to make a mistke or recognize an opening. With better players around her she is not that much of a defensive focus.. Her problem was always attempting to play out side of her abilities. Most players coming out of high school have to learn to recognize what will work for them at this higher level. Not every player can do the same things in college they were successful at in high school.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Doing what the defense wants you to do is not really being oppertunistic. If you are not hitting your outside shot then you just do not take them. I guess I did not make that clear in my post. What I meant is that she can not really created shots off the dribble when defended well like Paige can. Even on her drives she either needs her defender to make a mistke or recognize an opening. With better players around her she is not that much of a defensive focus.. Her problem was always attempting to play out side of her abilities. Most players coming out of high school have to learn to recognize what will work for them at this higher level. Not every player can do the same things in college they were successful at in high school.
You're the one who described Christyn as being "an opportunistic player who takes what the defense gives her." I never used the word "opportunistic;" that was your term. I simply replied that generally good defenses give you the shots they want you to take. I imagine many teams were pleased when Christyn hung out at the 3-point line and missed most of her shots. Fortunately for her and her team, she has changed her mindset and is attacking the basket more. As I and others predicted, doing so would likely improve her 3-point shooting and that is what has happened. We'll see if it continues. BTW, that is exactly how she played in high school.

Christyn Williams is the 2nd leading scorer on the team. I suspect defenses are focused on stopping her. LOL

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom