The Transformation of Christyn Williams | The Boneyard

The Transformation of Christyn Williams

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Christyn Williams has long been known as a great scorer, from her days in HS to her arrival on campus at UConn. In her 7th game Christyn confirmed that status with a 28 pt explosion in a huge win at ND. She had some ups and downs her freshman year, but on a team full of AA’s, Christyn flew somewhat under the radar as the 5th scoring option. More importantly, Christyn stepped up big in the postseason, averaging 17 ppg in 5 NCAA games, second only to Pheesa.

As a result, expectations were sky high for Christyn’s sophomore year. Unfortunately, during that season Christyn was inconsistent. Her confidence seemed fragile at times and she started pressing. When she didn’t score, Christyn had a tendency to disappear from games. Towards the end of her sophomore season, Christyn started to pull things together, but the pandemic shut down the season just short of the Big Dance.

Heading into her junior season, Christyn was named one of the team captains. We all hoped she had turned the corner. But as the season stumbled through early shutdowns and cancellations, Christyn once again struggled with inconsistency. Some folks here on the BY went as far as to suggest that Geno remove Christyn from the starting lineup for the good of the team.

Christyn is an incredibly hard worker. Her off-season strength and conditioning training would drop most people in their tracks. She is as committed to her teammates as any UConn Husky. If you view yourself as a scorer, and you’re not scoring, you might just feel that you are letting your team down. Every great scorer has off nights. Most just shake it off and get you the next game. In Christyn’s case, one mediocre game might lead to another, and maybe another still.

Geno is extraordinarily adept at reading his players and finding the key to unlocking their potential. With Christyn, he had to find something she could succeed at game after game, other than scoring. He has been pushing Christyn to contribute in other ways for three seasons. But it’s only been over the last month or so that we’ve seen the full transformation of Christyn Williams the scorer, into Christyn Williams the lock down defender.

For several weeks now, Christyn has drawn the toughest g/w defensive assignment in every game. Christyn’s exceptional strength, conditioning and athleticism permit her to suffocate opponents on D. It is also clear from her postgame comments that Christyn takes great pride in her defense, quite a change from the high scoring kid from Arkansas that showed up in Storrs in 2018. Best of all, Christyn’s focus on defense has set her free on offense. She is attacking the basket, pulling up from mid-range and hitting shots from the arc.

In the recently completed BE tournament, Christyn’s transformation was on full display. With some help from her teammates, Christyn held the 3 highest scoring players on St Johns, Nova & Marquette collectively to 12 pts on 5/33 shooting. On offense, Christyn scored 56 pts on 22/42 shooting. Geno said it best after the Nova game, “When Christyn plays like that, we’re a championship team.”

Bring on the Big Dance……

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
Well stated and summed up Dude!

I've loved this kid's attitude and infectious smile since she stepped onto the court. Her slumps have been heart breaking because you know she takes it personally as "letting her teammates down". The last half dozen games have been a celebration of revival. Stay the course and maintain that confidence. The rest is victory for everyone, including your fan club.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Christyn Williams has long been known as a great scorer, from her days in HS to her arrival on campus at UConn. In her 7th game Christyn confirmed that status with a 28 pt explosion in a huge win at ND. She had some ups and downs her freshman year, but on a team full of AA’s, Christyn flew somewhat under the radar as the 5th scoring option. More importantly, Christyn stepped up big in the postseason, averaging 17 ppg in 5 NCAA games, second only to Pheesa.

As a result, expectations were sky high for Christyn’s sophomore year. Unfortunately, during that season Christyn was inconsistent. Her confidence seemed fragile at times and she started pressing. When she didn’t score, Christyn had a tendency to disappear from games. Towards the end of her sophomore season, Christyn started to pull things together, but the pandemic shut down the season just short of the Big Dance.

Heading into her junior season, Christyn was named one of the team captains. We all hoped she had turned the corner. But as the season stumbled through early shutdowns and cancellations, Christyn once again struggled with inconsistency. Some folks here on the BY went as far as to suggest that Geno remove Christyn from the starting lineup for the good of the team.

Christyn is an incredibly hard worker. Her off-season strength and conditioning training would drop most people in their tracks. She is as committed to her teammates as any UConn Husky. If you view yourself as a scorer, and you’re not scoring, you might just feel that you are letting your team down. Every great scorer has off nights. Most just shake it off and get you the next game. In Christyn’s case, one mediocre game might lead to another, and maybe another still.

Geno is extraordinarily adept at reading his players and finding the key to unlocking their potential. With Christyn, he had to find something she could succeed at game after game, other than scoring. He has been pushing Christyn to contribute in other ways for three seasons. But it’s only been over the last month or so that we’ve seen the full transformation of Christyn Williams the scorer, into Christyn Williams the lock down defender.

For several weeks now, Christyn has drawn the toughest g/w defensive assignment in every game. Christyn’s exceptional strength, conditioning and athleticism permit her to suffocate opponents on D. It is also clear from her postgame comments that Christyn takes great pride in her defense, quite a change from the high scoring kid from Arkansas that showed up in Storrs in 2018. Best of all, Christyn’s focus on defense has set her free on offense. She is attacking the basket, pulling up from mid-range and hitting shots from the arc.

In the recently completed BE tournament, Christyn’s transformation was on full display. With some help from her teammates, Christyn held the 3 highest scoring players on St Johns, Nova & Marquette collectively to 12 pts on 5/33 shooting. On offense, Christyn scored 56 pts on 22/42 shooting. Geno said it best after the Nova game, “When Christyn plays like that, we’re a championship team.”

Bring on the Big Dance……
@oldude you should really think of marketing you work for some dinero. Good stuff

Reaction Score
I'm a long time lurker & a first time poster here. I was born in Hartford Hospital and grew up in Simsbury long ago before I headed out to take on the world. But for me, Connecticut will always be home. Like so many, I've loved this team ever since I lay on the floor in front of the TV in my Houston apartment and watched the 1st Tennessee game in '95.

I'm a big time random thinker. So, thinking randomly, let's assume for a second that UCONN wins it all this year and gets #12. Title #13 would instantly look pretty good for next year with Azzi and crew coming in. Wouldn't it be cool if #13 (CW) gets to cut down the net for championship #13 in her last game in a UCONN uniform?

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
What I find so subtle, even counter-intuitive (as I noted in the Geno postgame thread).
Is that coach somehow knew that focusing Christyn's mind on something other (bigger) than her errant shot, would be the key to unlocking the offensive potential, in plain view since Junior High School...
Remember, she was a #1 recruit.

I dimly recall Geno using that technique in the past; for the life of me can't remember for whom...perhaps someone can help...But in this case the medication has had a startling effect; that drive to the hoop, switching hands was a classic; never saw that before...

If Professor G's treatment continues towards completion of a cure; as he said: If Christyn plays like that...

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
What I find so subtle, even counter-intuitive (as I noted in the Geno postgame thread).
Is that coach somehow knew that focusing Christyn's mind on something other (bigger) than her errant shot, would be the key to unlocking the offensive potential, in plain view since Junior High School...
Remember, she was a #1 recruit.

I dimly recall Geno using that technique in the past; for the life of me can't remember for whom...perhaps someone can help...But in this case the medication has had a startling effect; that drive to the hoop, switching hands was a classic; never saw that before...

If Professor G's treatment continues towards completion of a cure; as he said: If Christyn plays like that...
Geno pushed Lou to become a more complete player, but after her first few games as a freshman Lou never really struggled with her offense.

Reaction Score

Bring on the Big Dance……
Phenomenal post.

The only thing I’ll add is that Christyn’s offense has been so much more efficient with her attacking the basket first and shooting 3-pointers second. She’s been getting to the rim at will with drives, back door cuts, and even some post ups. Maybe I’m imagining it, but it really feels like her shooting is better on nights when she starts with a couple strong drives to the basket.

Reaction Score
It didn't happen her freshman year and obviously last season because of COVID but I still stand by what she said the summer before freshman year that people are gonna "feel UCONN again".

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Phenomenal post.

The only thing I’ll add is that Christyn’s offense has been so much more efficient with her attacking the basket first and shooting 3-pointers second. She’s been getting to the rim at will with drives, back door cuts, and even some post ups. Maybe I’m imagining it, but it really feels like her shooting is better on nights when she starts with a couple strong drives to the basket.
I absolutely agree. It also helps that Christyn is playing with 3 outstanding passers. All she has to do is find a little bit of open space or bury her defender in the low post and her teammates will find her and get her the ball.

Reaction Score
She has always been an opportunistic player who takes what the defense gives her. This means she plays better when she is not the focus and has other players on her team who can score. I think having Paige on the team makes a real difference.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
I'm a long time lurker & a first time poster here. I was born in Hartford Hospital and grew up in Simsbury long ago before I headed out to take on the world. But for me, Connecticut will always be home. Like so many, I've loved this team ever since I lay on the floor in front of the TV in my Houston apartment and watched the 1st Tennessee game in '95.

I'm a big time random thinker. So, thinking randomly, let's assume for a second that UCONN wins it all this year and gets #12. Title #13 would instantly look pretty good for next year with Azzi and crew coming in. Wouldn't it be cool if #13 (CW) gets to cut down the net for championship #13 in her last game in a UCONN uniform?
Welcome to the BoneYard Veteran. Be sure to get all the required equipment; hard hat, flack jacket, and boots that come up to at least knee height. All needed for the bricks, bullets and stuff you got to wade thru....Just kidding it's really a fun place (for the most part). :D

Reaction Score

Bring on the Big Dance……
Yes, she is playing great and certainly at the right time. And you can see that she is happy with where she is.
I actually think you can do a "case study" on Christyn and see an ascension to where she is now as anything but a straight line upward. Maybe Pheesa with a consistent upward trajectory would be a stark contrast to CW.
I think we see now that the UConn program influence is going to end up being a plus/positive for CW. Just to be fair though, there are things about the program that have been bumps in the road for her. It may be the proverbial, "it isn't for everybody". A question to ponder might be, how much have CW's struggles actually hurt the team? I'm not blaming anyone. UConn is UConn and CW is CW. What if she had gone somewhere in which she was the star from the jump, like a program one notch below UConn, I don't know, Alabama, Virginia Tech, Arkansas without all of their 8th year seniors.
I'm thrilled with how, perhaps against the odds, she has figured out how to fit tightly in this team. I just think it's at least interesting to think about how we got here.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Christyn has evolved into a complete player. She is now a threat on both sides of the court.

I also think the arrival of Paige, Nika and Aaliyah has lifted a heavy weight off of Christyn's shoulders. She does not have to be the big offensive threat. She can play her game - drive the lane and hit that sweet pull up jumper. With Paige and Nika as running mates, Christyn knows if she's open and the break or on a cut she will get the ball. You also see her 3 point accuracy improving. Others can rain 3's and when she is wide open and has time to set her feet, she can bury a 3.

Reaction Score
Welcome to the BoneYard Veteran. Be sure to get all the required equipment; hard hat, flack jacket, and boots that come up to at least knee height. All needed for the bricks, bullets and stuff you got to wade thru....Just kidding it's really a fun place (for the most part). :D
Thanks for the welcome, my friend. And the warning. I registered a while back but I must admit that I have refrained from commenting because I have noticed that some of the all too typical internet incivility has filtered into here. Luckily not too much, which is probably more than anything else because of the moderators. But I'll heed your warning and shop for protective gear as soon as I finish posting this comment. I wonder if there a website called InternetInsultProtectiveGear.Com? Probably not. Oh well.

But seriously, I thoroughly enjoy about 95% of what I read here. And since I'm no expert, I'll never insult or try to grade any of the wonderful young women who are lucky enough and good enough to fulfill their dreams of playing for Geno, Chris, Shea & Jamelle. I'll just marvel at their talent and love what they do in representing my sentimental Connecticut home base.

P.S. I still smile every time I think about Jamelle's bear hug for Paige at the end of the SC game. For me, a casual fan, that's the sort of thing that makes UCONN WBB so special. And could any top prospect who saw the Paige celebration at the end Big East Tournament not think to herself, "I want to be a part of that". The future is bright. Which also makes me smile.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

and Paige's #5 cutting down her 5th NC Net :eek:

Reaction Score
If Veteran is a long time lurker, he/she knows what to expect by coming out of the closet (so to speak).

Reaction Score
If Veteran is a long time lurker, he/she knows what to expect by coming out of the closet (so to speak).
He, Skeets.

Yeah, I've seen some of what has filtered in here. But it's nothing compared to another place where I comment on mostly political matters. I love the "no politics" policy here. It allows me to go with my preferred "Paige Bueckers relentlessly positive" internet persona. As opposed to my "go for the jugular, serial killer" internet persona where I comment elsewhere.

Here I can just love the team & the players and not worry about other players, even if they're from, say, Iowa.

Reaction Score

Agreed that would be special indeed. Geno and staff always want to send the seniors out with a W in their last game, and it is a joy to see our players cutting down the NC nets. I can only imagine how exuberant this squad's celebration for #12 would be!

A few years back I had hoped to see Saniya Chong, #12, cut down the net after winning #12. That year, I think Geno's oft statement during a season, that a loss can be a good thing mid-season ( as it was this season against Arkansas), was spot on. That squad played beyond expectations under enormous pressure ( beyond staying undefeated they carried the weight of the streak) and fought for every accolade they received. IMHO they were the best team in WCBB that season, by grit and determination. They were in a great place coming into the final four. Give Vic Scheafer all the credit for a great game plan and his players for playing the game of their lives. Our women just felt the weight of the world crash in on them as they found themselves trying to fight back from a deficit. 9 times out of ten I think we win that one and go on to easily beat SC in the championship game.

I'm right with you rooting to see our woman cut down the nets this year and next and..... From a long time lurker and relatively new poster I join others in welcoming you to the Boneyard.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Agreed that would be special indeed. Geno and staff always want to send the seniors out with a W in their last game, and it is a joy to see our players cutting down the NC nets. I can only imagine how exuberant this squad's celebration for #12 would be!

A few years back I had hoped to see Saniya Chong, #12, cut down the net after winning #12. That year, I think Geno's oft statement during a season, that a loss can be a good thing mid-season ( as it was this season against Arkansas), was spot on. That squad played beyond expectations under enormous pressure ( beyond staying undefeated they carried the weight of the streak) and fought for every accolade they received. IMHO they were the best team in WCBB that season, by grit and determination. They were in a great place coming into the final four. Give Vic Scheafer all the credit for a great game plan and his players for playing the game of their lives. Our woman just felt the weight of the world crash in on them as they found themselves trying to fight back from a deficit. 9 times out of ten I think we win that one and go on to easily beat SC in the championship game.

I'm right with you rooting to see our woman cut down the nets this year and next and..... From a long time lurker and relatively new poster I join others in welcoming you to the Boneyard.
Thanks for a wonderful comment, #12in21! I hadn't thought about #12 for #12, but you're absolutely right. I hope people don't hold a grudge against Saniya. She did many good things and was a great rep for the UCONN program. If we knew in advance that everything would always go our way, what fun would that be for us fans? Well, actually that would be lots of fun, but you know what I mean. Falling short occasionally makes success even sweeter.

Saniya was the player who delivered the ball to Brianna Pulido for her ultimate feel-good final shot of the 2016 Championship season. For that alone, I will always appreciate her.

Reaction Score

Welcome to the Boneyard Vet!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
On the counter-intuitive front - I am reminded of a great acting coach who said: when you are having a hard time finding your character, find a real object to focus on and use the reality of that object to find your reality - it actually works really well.
Geno gave Christyn something real to focus on that did not include the binary of make/miss, and by focusing on that reality, the rest of her natural skill flowed freely. The binary make/miss was no longer her definition of success and so she was relaxed.

(Watching a Hamlet soliloquy with the actor brushing their hair or staring intently at a basketball was a little weird!)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom