The top WBB Conferences | The Boneyard

The top WBB Conferences

Reaction Score
Next year the ACC wbb conference is going to be even more ridiculously tuff with the addition of Stanford. I would rank the conferences based on the toughest to win as follows:

1.) ACC
2.) SEC
Then a small gap
3.) B1G
4.) B12
Then a huge gap

Everyone else.

Reaction Score
Until further notice, I would consider the Big 10 better than the SEC from top to bottom. SEC might be better at the top but it becomes questionable after the 5th team. Also, LSU won’t help the SEC pick up any power wins outside the conference.

Ahh. I see you are really talking about next year. Texas may help the SEC but UCLA may also help the Big.

Cal and SmU do nothing for the ACC. Stanford? May Depend on how long Tara stays.

They Big 12 was pretty horrible last year. Will be interesting to see if the PAC refugees pick the conference up.

It will be “interesting.”

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Until further notice, I would consider the Big 10 better than the SEC from top to bottom. SEC might be better at the top but it becomes questionable after the 5th team. Also, LSU won’t help the SEC pick up any power wins outside the conference.

Ahh. I see you are really talking about next year. Texas may help the SEC but UCLA may also help the Big.

Cal and SmU do nothing for the ACC. Stanford? May Depend on how long Tara stays.

They Big 12 was pretty horrible last year. Will be interesting to see if the PAC refugees pick the conference up.

It will be “interesting.”

When it all shakes out the Big Ten looks pretty darn strong.

I'm a Big 12 guy in Big Ten country but am pretty optimistic on the Big 12 basketball future on the men's side. On the WBB side the Big 12 will be big with a lot major universities but not at the top of conferences by any measure other than number of teams. BYU, Cincinnati, Houston and UCF, this years new adds, were all picked for the bottom four spots in the Big 12 coaches pre-season picks released today. Next up is Utah, Colorado, and the Arizona's, some recent success but nobody as good as Texas or historic success of old Sooners.

With the leagues being so HUGE I am more of who you got at the top five or six rather than how does it average out. Think Big 12 will be short either way you measure for WBB.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Next year the ACC wbb conference is going to be even more ridiculously tuff with the addition of Stanford. I would rank the conferences based on the toughest to win as follows:

1.) ACC
2.) SEC
Then a small gap
3.) B1G
4.) B12
Then a huge gap

Everyone else.
I am confused by this thread.
Most competitive or best roster of teams?
I would agree that it is very competitive but who, exactly is an elite team of this lot? Maybe ND as an elite 8 type team. VPI needs to show consistency to get back to the E8 and beyond. After that is a lot of “who knows” and the bottom is still pretty bad- Pitt, Clemson, BC and now Georgia Tech are all in need of talent. Miami, Duke, Louisville will all take a big step back to the pack due to defections or graduation. NC State was already mediocre last year and Wake ,FSU and Syracuse are trying to get established or re-established with year 2 coaches.
I am not buying this as an elite conference by any definition. That’s not to say the other conferences like the Big Ten don’t have bad teams at the bottom with Wisconsin, PSU and Rutgers but I see the Big Ten as top dog with probably the SEC at #2 as LSU, SC, TN, Ole Miss, MSU and Georgia are pretty good and Alabama may finally be ready to make regular appearances in the tourny. Honestly the SEC bottom is Vandy, KY, Auburn with Texas A&M and I think they are better than the ACC’s. Though A&M is still going to be bad. I could see the ACC at #2 but for the moment give me SEC.

Reaction Score
I am confused by this thread.
Most competitive or best roster of teams?
I would agree that it is very competitive but who, exactly is an elite team of this lot? Maybe ND as an elite 8 type team. VPI needs to show consistency to get back to the E8 and beyond. After that is a lot of “who knows” and the bottom is still pretty bad- Pitt, Clemson, BC and now Georgia Tech are all in need of talent. Miami, Duke, Louisville will all take a big step back to the pack due to defections or graduation. NC State was already mediocre last year and Wake ,FSU and Syracuse are trying to get established or re-established with year 2 coaches.
I am not buying this as an elite conference by any definition. That’s not to say the other conferences like the Big Ten don’t have bad teams at the bottom with Wisconsin, PSU and Rutgers but I see the Big Ten as top dog with probably the SEC at #2 as LSU, SC, TN, Ole Miss, MSU and Georgia are pretty good and Alabama may finally be ready to make regular appearances in the tourny. Honestly the SEC bottom is Vandy, KY, Auburn with Texas A&M and I think they are better than the ACC’s. Though A&M is still going to be bad. I could see the ACC at #2 but for the moment give me SEC.
Overall I’m not overly impressed with Coach Taylor’s coaching. However Texas A&M does play pretty good defense and they got a big upgrade in talent. Obviously it is not a high bar to leap but I predict they will do much better this season.

Reaction Score
WOW, no PAC-12 on the list....hmmm. That isn't going to age well.
Lol. as @visitingcock noted the OP may be focusing in 24-25.

But for 23-24 it is a difficult question. I like to think which conference is most likely to have multiple teams in the final 4, although that says nothing about the depth in a conference. Nonetheless I really think the SEC and the BIG 10 are most likely to meet that mark. I would probably go:
1. SEC
2. Big 10
3. Pac 12
4. Big 12
5. ACC

Reaction Score
WOW, no PAC-12 on the list....hmmm. That isn't going to age well.
For the past few (post-Covid ) years it has been hard to judge the PAC . They have had few OOC significant wins at least in the early season. The conference redeemed itself in the post season of 2021 but less so since, last season was quite unimpressive. Stanford’s swoon was quite surprising and hurt the league’s image

I will say that it may be the most competitive in that a bottom dweller can knock off the top teams more than in most conferences.

Reaction Score
These are the PAC-12 teams that I believe can make a deep run in NCAA Tourney this upcoming season: Utah, UCLA, Colorado, WSU, Stanford (in that order). Utah and Colorado are steeped in experience & talent. UCLA has so much talent and is healthy this season. WSU could surprise again given who has come back and who they have added in the portal. Stanford has Tara and some studs, but has some unproven pieces.

Reaction Score
Everybody has an opinion and that is fine. Here are two preseason conference strength projections to consider from Massey and Warren Nolan. Both have Pac12 as the strongest conference.

I guess I don't get the disrespect for the Pac 12 from many BY posters. I know that 3/4 of the US population (and a proportional number of WBB fans) live east of Colorado so there is that. Also many Pac12 games are late, late on the East Coast and the infamous Pac12 Network is not readily available but any conference (media and coaches) that projects quality programs like Oregon and Oregon State 8th and 9th (!) preseason has got to be pretty much loaded. I guess we shall see.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I have:
1. Big Ten
2. SEC
3. ACC
4. Pac 12
5. Big 12

Too hard to predict next year with so many big names eligible for the draft. Programs like Indiana, Iowa, UCONN, Tennessee, Ohio State, Stanford and Virginia Tech could take a massive hit next season depending on who declares for the draft vs. who comes back

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom