The Three Scenarios | The Boneyard

The Three Scenarios

Status
Not open for further replies.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
There is needless angst, at least at the moment, about the Ollie situation. I say this as one who thinks he should get a multi-contract but I am not upset that he did not. There are three scenarios to consider, and they should be considered from the perspective of next spring.

Ollie performs poorly - most of us did not think this would happen and our opinion seems to be validated. Yet the 7-month contract was not contingent on his recruiting. If Ollie bombed in other aspects of his duties nobody would be gnashing their teeth over his seven month contract, even if we had wanted multiple years.

Ollie performs well and the contract is extended mid-season - this is the most likely scenario in my mind. The concern then becomes about how his recruiting is harmed and the truth would be very little. Out of the recruits that decide before next spring, how many would have been locks to come to UConn, save for that 7-month extension? The fact that there really is little harm done in this scenario supports the 7-month contract to avoid the first scenario.

Ollie performs well and Warde does not extend until after 7 months or proceeds with a search - I don't think this is very likely from the clues I've seen. If it does happen like that then, yes, fans should be upset, for both recruiting and for Ollie's sake. Yet even if Warde was inclined to do that, the fan uproar would begin way before April. Indeed, I bet some folks are already emailing Warde about their displeasure. The thing is we don't know if it will play out like that until well into the season, so any angst now serves no real purpose except to make a person more unhappy. Consider these two fan reactions.

2,000 fans complain about the contract now and an additional 1,000 complains in January.

500 fans complain about the contract now and an additional 2,500 complains in January.

The more effective groundswell of fan support will be the second, so getting too worked up about it now is actually counterproductive.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
There is needless angst, at least at the moment, about the Ollie situation. I say this as one who thinks he should get a multi-contract but I am not upset that he did not. There are three scenarios to consider, and they should be considered from the perspective of next spring.

Ollie performs poorly - most of us did not think this would happen and our opinion seems to be validated. Yet the 7-month contract was not contingent on his recruiting. If Ollie bombed in other aspects of his duties nobody would be gnashing their teeth over his seven month contract, even if we had wanted multiple years.

Ollie performs well and the contract is extended mid-season - this is the most likely scenario in my mind. The concern then becomes about how his recruiting is harmed and the truth would be very little. Out of the recruits that decide before next spring, how many would have been locks to come to UConn, save for that 7-month extension? The fact that there really is little harm done in this scenario supports the 7-month contract to avoid the first scenario.

Ollie performs well and Warde does not extend until after 7 months or proceeds with a search - I don't think this is very likely from the clues I've seen. If it does happen like that then, yes, fans should be upset, for both recruiting and for Ollie's sake. Yet even if Warde was inclined to do that, the fan uproar would begin way before April. Indeed, I bet some folks are already emailing Warde about their displeasure. The thing is we don't know if it will play out like that until well into the season, so any angst now serves no real purpose except to make a person more unhappy. Consider these two fan reactions.

2,000 fans complain about the contract now and an additional 1,000 complains in January.

500 fans complain about the contract now and an additional 2,500 complains in January.

The more effective groundswell of fan support will be the second, so getting too worked up about it now is actually counterproductive.

Pretty much my sentiment but I do think there could have been a game changing recruit with the initial 3 year. The situation is what it is and KO, and the fans, will have to make the best with what they are given. My biggest concern initially was that KO be evaluated relative to the situation he was presented and not by some formulaic number of wins.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'm calling it here, KO leaves UConn when he retires (and at that time he will hold the record for most victories as a Husky head coach) and his replacement will be announced fifty years to the day from when JC was hired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc
Top Bottom