The Team everybody loves to watch: UConn Women | The Boneyard

The Team everybody loves to watch: UConn Women

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I have been reviewing the last 7 years of attendance for all of WCBB and while UConn usually ranks anywhere from 2nd to 5th on a home attendance amount, I decided to look at "the Circus" on the road. I looked at all of the UConn road attendance then compared it to the teams home average, and no surprise, there were HUGE differences in every game. @Plebe also advised that maybe I could also recalculated the "new home attendance" without the UConn fans and then did a new "home average" and then compared the actual average to the "non-UConn" average and the numbers were surprising as the changes represent the whole HOME SCHEDULE percentage change. In 2019-19 alone, 93,800 fans saw 14 UConn's away games, an average of 6,700 per game. This would have been 10th on the "Home attendance average" behind Iowa (6,797) and ahead of Purdue (6,515). That is astounding.

Overall, having 1 UConn game on your home court, created a 16.3% increase in attendance ON YOUR SEASON AVERAGE! In other words, 53,293 more fans came to the 14 UConn games last year than would have attended otherwise. SC sold out 18,000 fans (vs. 10,406 average) and Louisville had 17,023 fans (vs. 9,531). Overall, on a game average was almost double your normal home attendance for that one game at 191.5% UConn game increase over your average game. St. Louis (390%) and California (386%) both has almost a 4 times increase in their per game attendance with UConn in the arena

In the 7 years, an average 75,394 MORE fans came to UConn games than otherwise. The average attendance boost was 15.9% (low of 13.6% to 17.4%). Imagine boosting your yearly attendance average by 16% by adding one team to your schedule-wow, just wow.:)

Now, all that said, I have a ton of data and am not sure how to present it so I am open to suggestions from you. Before any of you get carried away, I am not doing another teams ROAD attendance-too much work!

I have also grouped the average home attendance by conference and have done the P5+Big East and American for the Conference Tournaments. Spoiler alert: Guess which Conference has the highest average per session attendance each of the last 7 years???

Happy New Year to each of you and Thank you for your contributions to the BY!
1577837112193.png

Last edited:

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I have been reviewing the last 7 years of attendance for all of WCBB and while UConn usually ranks anywhere from 2nd to 5th on a home attendance amount, I decided to look at "the Circus" on the road. I looked at all of the UConn road attendance then compared it to the teams home average, and no surprise, there were HUGE differences in every game. @Plebe also advised that maybe I could also recalculated the "new home attendance" without the UConn fans and then did a new "home average" and then compared the actual average to the "non-UConn" average and the numbers were surprising as the changes represent the whole HOME SCHEDULE percentage change. In 2019-19 alone, 93,800 fans saw 14 UConn's away games, an average of 6,700 per game. This would have been 10th on the "Home attendance average" behind Iowa (6,797) and ahead of Purdue (6,515). That is astounding.

Overall, having 1 UConn game on your home court, created a 16.3% increase in attendance ON YOUR SEASON AVERAGE! In other words, 53,293 more fans came to the 14 UConn games last year than would have attended otherwise. SC sold out 18,000 fans (vs. 10,406 average) and Louisville had 17,023 fans (vs. 9,531). Overall, on a game average was almost double your normal home attendance for that one game at 191.5% UConn game increase over your average game. St. Louis (390%) and California (386%) both has almost a 4 times increase in their per game attendance with UConn in the arena

In the 7 years, an average 75,394 MORE fans came to UConn games than otherwise. The average attendance boost was 15.9% (low of 13.6% to 17.4%). Imagine boosting your yearly attendance average by 16% by adding one team to your schedule-wow, just wow.:)

Now, all that said, I have a ton of data and am not sure how to present it so I am open to suggestions from you. Before any of you get carried away, I am not doing another teams ROAD attendance-too much work!

I have also grouped the average home attendance by conference and have done the P5+Big East and American for the Conference Tournaments. Spoiler alert: Guess which Conference has the highest average per session attendance each of the last 7 years???

Happy New Year to each of you and Thank you for your contributions to the BY!
View attachment 49563
A truly yeoman effort, my friend. You are a hail fellow well met!

Reaction Score
Excellent job. And when you compare the normal home ticket prices for the games.... the home teams really clean up when UCONN comes to town. At USF the prices go up between 4 to 5 times their norm and premium tickets even more. UCF general admission tickets are normally $5 but are $25 against UCONN. It bothers me some, but I guess UCONN is helping other teams generate some income so it's all good. Spread the wealth.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Just to add to the topic. When the Big East started their first Fox contract in 2015, I checked the ratings every week for the first 2 months. Mostly to rag on PC for drawing a 0.0 rating. In that span, the 3rd highest rated game (out of over 30) was UConn-DePaul women. And there was a big gap between 3rd and 4th.

Reaction Score
Just to add to the topic. When the Big East started their first Fox contract in 2015, I checked the ratings every week for the first 2 months. Mostly to rag on PC for drawing a 0.0 rating. In that span, the 3rd highest rated game (out of over 30) was UConn-DePaul women. And there was a big gap between 3rd and 4th.
Uconn was in AAC in the 2013-14 season.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
Great job. One other point. UConn is drawing home and away and perhaps home attendence is down because every game is televised and many people stay home and watch it.
if i recall rightly, when gampel was always sold out and it was impossible for the run-of-the-mill fan to score a ticket -- even for a seton hall or pc or holy cross laugher -- the games ALSO were always televised, thanks to cptv (god bless 'em, pledge breaks and all!)

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
But Dave (DePaul) and Geno (UConn) have played each other every year, even before they both were Big East rivals.

Reaction Score
But Dave (DePaul) and Geno (UConn) have played each other every year, even before they both were Big East rivals.
The post I responded to stated Big East statistics. Been watching Uconn since 1987. The coach for Depaul is Doug Bruno.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
The post I responded to stated Big East statistics. Been watching Uconn since 1987. The coach for Depaul is Doug Bruno.
Fox covered that game in 2015 when UConn beat DePaul 86-70 and it was Fox's 3rd highest rated game on it's Big East coverage. That's what he was talking about, the game is used as a Big East telecast. On misnaming the coach of DePaul all I can say is that I had a major brain freeze when I was typing the infamous Doug's name.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
Now please add TV viewership (both home and away, all sources, every game over the last 7 years!? :confused: :cool: :D
That may result in a really lopsided UConn dominated number. My antidotal take over of watching WCBB on TV for a few years is that I may be frustated ocassionaly because I have to actually look around to see "who" is broadcasting UConn's game, someone is and only in the last couple years has it cost $5-$10 to see a specific game. So many times I've seen a game and thought that might be a game to watch only to find that the only possible way to watch is to subscribe to their conference network and the game I want to watch still isn't even available there.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
No kidding, Sherlock. The game was on Fox because it was a DePaul (Big East) home game. My point was that the UConn women get great ratings not just compared to other women's games but men's games as well. Because people love to watch the UConn women as the OP said. Or perhaps you think the ratings were due to DePaul.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No kidding, Sherlock. The game was on Fox because it was a DePaul (Big East) home game. My point was that the UConn women get great ratings not just compared to other women's games but men's games as well. Because people love to watch the UConn women as the OP said. Or perhaps you think the ratings were due to DePaul.
I was talking BE vs BE. Duh No kidding the ratings were because of Uconn.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom