The Sun show they are Serious about winning a Championship | The Boneyard

The Sun show they are Serious about winning a Championship

Reaction Score
By acquiring Theresa Plaisance, the Sun let it be known that the time to compete for a championship is now. She may be the piece they need to get them over the top. Already the league leading team in wins, the Sun's addition of Plaisance, who could be the right backup for Jonquel Jones and a regular double digit scorer off the bench, will make them very tough to beat down the stretch. Plaisance has been at times an all-star caliber player. This is a smart move that sends out the right signals.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
I HATE seeing Anigwe go. She's going to be a very good player for Dallas. Agree with you on everything. Given the logjam of Sun players entering free agency, the time is NOW. This is an "all-in" move and represents the Sun's best chance for a championship since 2012 and, if free agency goes sideways on us, for the foreseeable future. From all I've heard, Theresa is a solid citizen and teammate. I expect her to settle in quickly and be highly motivated that she suddenly has a real shot to win a title this year.

Unfortunately, Theresa's high salary may mess with the Sun's ability to retain some current players next year.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I HATE seeing Anigwe go. She's going to be a very good player for Dallas. Agree with you on everything. Given the logjam of Sun players entering free agency, the time is NOW. This is an "all-in" move and represents the Sun's best chance for a championship since 2012 and, if free agency goes sideways on us, for the foreseeable future. From all I've heard, Theresa is a solid citizen and teammate. I expect her to settle in quickly and be highly motivated that she suddenly has a real shot to win a title this year.

Unfortunately, Theresa's high salary may mess with the Sun's ability to retain some current players next year.
I am sure that Theresa will be the first person thrown overboard before next year if her salary creates a cap issue for the Sun.

psconn

Reaction Score
I am sure that Theresa will be the first person thrown overboard before next year if her salary creates a cap issue for the Sun.

That is probably true barring extreme post-season heroics.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Not sure what in her stat line makes her a difference player. For a team who want's to play with pace, she is not ideal. Her best asset is 3pt shooting ~ 35% but she needs help to get open. Can rebound ok. Luke warm.

Reaction Score
Not sure what in her stat line makes her a difference player. For a team who want's to play with pace, she is not ideal. Her best asset is 3pt shooting ~ 35% but she needs help to get open. Can rebound ok. Luke warm.

View attachment 45437

This was my point. I don’t see how she makes them better than Vegas or Washington

psconn

Reaction Score
The Sun made a move to get better, not for the future, but for this season. This isn't EDD or Cambage showing up like Christmas packages on the doorstep. It's an incremental attempt to be better NOW. Will it be enough? We'll see. With the majority of the Sun players entering free agency next year, the future is now.

A team whose last 2 #1 overall picks have forced their way out of Uncasville versus teams that superstars have forced their way onto (not to mention the Aces 3 consecutive overall #1 picks)? It would make a heck of a story if the Sun can even get to the final.

Reaction Score
The difference that Plaisance represents is the difference between Plaisance and Anigwe right now. The Sun is already leading the league and the team has just improved. The difference may also be the difference between Plaisance and Carolyn Swords or Jisu Park for the Aces or Plaisance and the lack of height on Washington. What bench post on either of those opponents can consistently outplay Plaisance?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Another unanswerable question occurred to me about this trade. I wonder if the Sun tried to get Azura Stevens from the Wings for Anigwe instead of Plaisance, and whether the Wings refused that proposal?

Did the Sun think that Azura was too inexperienced to contribute to a playoff run? Did they think that she is too perimeter-oriented to help in the paint and on the boards? Or did the Wings think that she, unlike Plaisance, is a player with too much upside potential to trade away?

Or maybe it was just that unloading Plaisance frees up more cap dollars than Azura's departure would?

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Plaisance brings a lot to the table. She's a coach's kid, and she plays like it. As has been pointed out, she's not fast or even very quick. But she's big and strong, she has good footwork. She's not a great one-on-one defender, but she's a very good team defender and reads passing lanes well. On offense, she stretches the floor, she's a pretty good finisher around the rim, and a very good passer for a big.

Most of all, she plays like a coach's kid. She's smart, plays hard, and won't let a game get away by playing like a knucklehead.

Reaction Score
Another unanswerable question occurred to me about this trade. I wonder if the Sun tried to get Azura Stevens from the Wings for Anigwe instead of Plaisance, and whether the Wings refused that proposal?

Did the Sun think that Azura was too inexperienced to contribute to a playoff run? Did they think that she is too perimeter-oriented to help in the paint and on the boards? Or did the Wings think that she, unlike Plaisance, is a player with too much upside potential to trade away?

Or maybe it was just that unloading Plaisance frees up more cap dollars than Azura's departure would?

Azura has been injured quite a bit this year. She was out for a while with a concussion. Came back for 2-3 games to get injured again. She’s been in a walking boot. I would be surprised if she returned this year.

I don’t know to answers to your questions but as an assumption I would say the Sun didn’t try to get Azura

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
The Sun made a move to get better, not for the future, but for this season. This isn't EDD or Cambage showing up like Christmas packages on the doorstep. It's an incremental attempt to be better NOW. Will it be enough? We'll see. With the majority of the Sun players entering free agency next year, the future is now.

A team whose last 2 #1 overall picks have forced their way out of Uncasville versus teams that superstars have forced their way onto (not to mention the Aces 3 consecutive overall #1 picks)? It would make a heck of a story if the Sun can even get to the final.

Say what?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Tina and Chiney demanding away from CT vs. EDD demanding Washington (or NY); Chiney demanding LA; Cambage demanding LV (or LA).

Ok... thanks.... i'm a bit hungry (even after I ate dinner) so I read that wrong.... I was reading that as the last two 1st round picks.

Lemme log off and go to the store so I wont have anymore reading comprehension errors tonight :oops:

psconn

Reaction Score
By acquiring Theresa Plaisance, the Sun let it be known that the time to compete for a championship is now. She may be the piece they need to get them over the top. Already the league leading team in wins, the Sun's addition of Plaisance, who could be the right backup for Jonquel Jones and a regular double digit scorer off the bench, will make them very tough to beat down the stretch. Plaisance has been at times an all-star caliber player. This is a smart move that sends out the right signals.

THAT mess was not a performance indicative of a team priming up for a playoff run. Champions come out ready to compete. Champions play with incredible pride and raise their level of play when it's needed most.

EVERY GAME is a virtual must-win because they'll need the byes and the homecourt to get where they want to go.

I feel really embarrassed for my team right now.

Reaction Score
THAT mess was not a performance indicative of a team priming up for a playoff run. Champions come out ready to compete. Champions play with incredible pride and raise their level of play when it's needed most.

EVERY GAME is a virtual must-win because they'll need the byes and the homecourt to get where they want to go.

I feel really embarrassed for my team right now.
One game doesn't make a season. The embarrassment might be good for them. A lot of distractions this week. JJ had a bad game. So did a lot of the players who may be effected by the introduction of Plaisance. Stuff like that happens. They have certainly shown that they are a lesser team outside of Mohegan, but when it comes to the playoffs, I like the 11-1 home record. Nobody is as tough at home. Let's see what happens Sunday. That should say something.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
One game doesn't make a season. The embarrassment might be good for them. A lot of distractions this week. JJ had a bad game. So did a lot of the players who may be effected by the introduction of Plaisance. Stuff like that happens. They have certainly shown that they are a lesser team outside of Mohegan, but when it comes to the playoffs, I like the 11-1 home record. Nobody is as tough at home. Let's see what happens Sunday. That should say something.
Just a minor point: Plaisance didn’t enter the game till they were behind by about 30, so I don’t think most of the poor play was due to players “affected by the introduction of Plaisance.”

Also, Minnesota played great defense all the way through.

Reaction Score
The Sun flat out sucked last night. Very disappointing game to say the least.

Reaction Score
Just a minor point: Plaisance didn’t enter the game till they were behind by about 30, so I don’t think most of the poor play was due to players “affected by the introduction of Plaisance.”

Also, Minnesota played great defense all the way through.

Maybe some of the players bonded with Anigwe.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom