The Subject is Molly | The Boneyard

The Subject is Molly

Reaction Score
Great article in that it gives me a much better sense of who Molly is.
From this article what I see is a very intelligent, grounded, mature young lady who has a good realistic sense of self.
I knew some of this from the little I read before about her and watching her play, but it's so clear why her teammates and fans want her to do so well.
While she will only get better and steadier, it should balance her and our expectations of her play, in that her distinct advantages in HS are no longer applicable. Because of her intelligence and drive, I know she will make some contributions on and off the court for the next two plus years.
Bronx23

Reaction Score
Bent drew interest from Ivy League schools when she was at Tabor Academy

Somewhat of an understatement. At least one Ivy League school was hoping to build its team around her.

The article really brings out the challenges of all the travel during the academic year. It really is a hardship playing a sport that goes through both semesters.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
As a math major carrying a 4.0, Molly can process information quickly. While she has good basketball skills, Molly’s challenge on the court is almost the opposite. She needs to slow the game down. Sometimes when she enters the game, she reminds me of the Tasmanian Devil cartoon character.

I hope to see Molly “get it” and be successful both on and off the court.

Reaction Score
From Fuller's Elm City. Mostly its chat about handling academics and basketball, but there is some Molly on evaluating her game that is pretty spot on.

The New Haven Register Blogs: Elm City to Eagleville: Bent continues to make the grade at UConn
My goodness---thank you for this. I liked Molly as she arrived on campus. The article confirms my beliefs in her intelligence. A math major, no gut course. That too dispels those that believe only those that can't do anything else--teach. Smarty pants Molly comes across as the kid I though she was.
"I have good days and bad days, good games and bad game" says Molly. That's what we are seeing. We also knew Molly was a worker, this proves that.
Molly has skill, she knows what to do. Her once lacking confidence is beginning to grow. Now if her passing and decision making gets better then Geno could use her to relieve Danger, a bit.

Reaction Score
Bent drew interest from Ivy League schools when she was at Tabor Academy

Somewhat of an understatement. At least one Ivy League school was hoping to build its team around her.

The article really brings out the challenges of all the travel during the academic year. It really is a hardship playing a sport that goes through both semesters.

Yes Bags BUT--they get a gift of a scholarship.
Thanks Bags--the bit about Ivy league teams wanting to build a team around her is news to me--but not unbelievable. (obviously, my Scholarship comment is reverse of my true beliefs)

Reaction Score
Great article in that it gives me a much better sense of who Molly is.
From this article what I see is a very intelligent, grounded, mature young lady who has a good realistic sense of self.
I knew some of this from the little I read before about her and watching her play, but it's so clear why her teammates and fans want her to do so well.
While she will only get better and steadier, it should balance her and our expectations of her play, in that
her distinct advantages in HS are no longer applicable. Because of her intelligence and drive, I know she will make some contributions on and off the court for the next two plus years.
Bronx23
When a kid is as intelligent and works hard every day in every way-----one has to be a real hard glutus maximus to no love this kid--look at those bright red cheeks, she just glows.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I love players like Molly and Kyla on the team - kids who are terrific people, students, and teammates. Kids who do not necessarily care that they will never be a player relied on in the core rotation in big games. UCONN hasn't had a lot of those lately - in the past, players like Ash Valley, Kerns, Williams, Gardler, Fernandez, Buck, Lawler, Pulido etc. all lasted 4 years at UCONN while never making it on to the starting or core reserve team.

Other middle tier recruits like Ekmark, Johnson, Engeln, Banks (not top 20), Espinosa-Hunter (32 per PN), and even top 10 type kids like Edwards, Boykin, and Walker all left for a variety of reasons (some personal, some maybe academic, some for playing time). While I can't comment on what kind of teammates they are/were, they weren't happy at UCONN for whatever reason.

Makes me appreciate those who stick it out and thrive - I hope Bent, Irwin and Gordon are all those type of players. Great kids, teammates, and students.

Reaction Score
Molly may have a lot of people in front of her and, as oldude said, needs to slow the game down. Very much hoping it comes together for her.

But I think that Kyla will play an increasingly important part of the team's rotation, esp. with Gabby gone next year. Along with Batouly, she should be counted on to lend some backup muscle to Z and Pheesa on the boards. Right now, she seems more comfortable outside, but she needs to get her inside game working for her also.

Reaction Score
From Fuller's Elm City. Mostly its chat about handling academics and basketball, but there is some Molly on evaluating her game that is pretty spot on.

The New Haven Register Blogs: Elm City to Eagleville: Bent continues to make the grade at UConn

ROCK: a shout out for all the nifty stuff you provide us on here. Molly seems like an exceptional young woman. Perhaps not
the level of basketball talent or confidence/relaxation to excel on the court at UCONN level, though able to contribute on her better game days. Kinda reminds me of our MEYERS: not an abundance of ability but very motivated. ( :

Reaction Score
I love players like Molly and Kyla on the team - kids who are terrific people, students, and teammates. Kids who do not necessarily care that they will never be a player relied on in the core rotation in big games. UCONN hasn't had a lot of those lately - in the past, players like Ash Valley, Kerns, Williams, Gardler, Fernandez, Buck, Lawler, Pulido etc. all lasted 4 years at UCONN while never making it on to the starting or core reserve team.

Other middle tier recruits like Ekmark, Johnson, Engeln, Banks (not top 20), Espinosa-Hunter (32 per PN), and even top 10 type kids like Edwards, Boykin, and Walker all left for a variety of reasons (some personal, some maybe academic, some for playing time). While I can't comment on what kind of teammates they are/were, they weren't happy at UCONN for whatever reason.

Makes me appreciate those who stick it out and thrive - I hope Bent, Irwin and Gordon are all those type of players. Great kids, teammates, and students.
Enjoyed Ericla's comments.
Some of these kids that will likely never be great college or pro players can provide another form of motivation to their teammates and they sure seem to.
Even watching and listening to a talent like KLS and her comments about Molly and others speaks volumes, both about her but as much or more about the team concept they instill.
Pretty amazing to think these young women do what they do: play at such a high level, most performing admirably in the classroom; visiting with those less fortunate; the travel especially this year!
This has a lot to do with why I prefer women's sports especially the U Conn Wbb team. Not that men can't or don't sometimes do all these things, but it is less so. Often their egos and the manner in which they deal with their competitiveness, makes sacrificing for the team more of a struggle.
Bronx23

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Most of the comments in this thread sound as if you have all given up on the idea that Molly will ever have a serious impact on the basketball court. I think that conclusion is premature. If she can calm down and make better decisions, the physical ability is there. The "mental" issues seem like a fixable problem that should largely get fixed by greater maturity. I wouldn't rule out seeing her play a key role in limited minutes this year, if Crystal or Kia have foul trouble or nagging injuries. I think she can be as effective as Mikayla Coombs, though in a different way.

I don't see any shortage of raw athletic talent.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Kia just has to take Molly under her wing and teach her Kia's secret to calm, controlled basketball.
confused-smiley.png

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
My goodness---thank you for this. I liked Molly as she arrived on campus. The article confirms my beliefs in her intelligence. A math major, no gut course. That too dispels those that believe only those that can't do anything else--teach. . . .

This is pretty OT, but pertinent to the last sentence quoted. At work I hosted a physics teacher for several weeks last summer. She had a grant to get out in the "real world" and see what physicists do -- This was to help her pitch her teaching more toward practical things, get her current on some current technological problems, etc. She gave a talk on how they teach at her high school. It was so good that she came back in the fall to give it to a bigger audience. 30% of her school takes AP physics and well over half take some kind of physics. This isn't some magnet school, it's in a city and has about 40% of the kids getting free lunch. Another thing that surprised me is that half the kids taking physics are female, which is 2-10x the average.

This woman is also an athlete -- ran cross country and track in high school. Her marathon PR is almost two hours better than mine.

And, I agree Molly rocks, and the world need more people like her (and my buddy).

Reaction Score
Most of the comments in this thread sound as if you have all given up on the idea that Molly will ever have a serious impact on the basketball court. I think that conclusion is premature. If she can calm down and make better decisions, the physical ability is there. The "mental" issues seem like a fixable problem that should largely get fixed by greater maturity. I wouldn't rule out seeing her play a key role in limited minutes this year, if Crystal or Kia have foul trouble or nagging injuries. I think she can be as effective as Mikayla Coombs, though in a different way.

I don't see any shortage of raw athletic talent.
JoePgh---I doubt anyone is counting Molly OUT. We all have seen her confidence rise this season. She had yards to go to get to Megan Walker Confidence. She is a conundrum, at times she looks and acts confident then not so confident. Her passing can be exact or miss the target completely. Her shooting on the run is just great as is her 3 ball--when she decides to shoot.
Because she is so intelligent--I think--she over thinks things before she does them--instead of acting and reacting and going with the game flow.
You can tell mostly what Geno thinks of her--he loves her work ethic, her practices. But he place her in game after Walker, coombs, Irwin--usually that sequence says--Geno thinks they are reaching is goals for them in that order. (JUST AN OBSERVATION of Geno's sub patterns)
Most of us would love Molly to be a relief guard for Danger in the NCAA's--will she????

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Most of us would love Molly to be a relief guard for Danger in the NCAA's--will she????
Short answer - no. Longer answer, no, and not any time soon. As you said, we all hoped she'd make a terrific sophomore leap, but I fear that the potential is just not there. This is not meant as a criticism or insult to her - as I said in an earlier post, many kids excel as great teammates, students, and people, but not necessarily as core players. While we all wish for the best for her (and Kyla and Lexi), and while it's possible they may become part of the core players, IMHO it's very unlikely. The jury is still out on Mikayla and Batouly. I have higher hopes for them, but time will tell!!

Reaction Score

Ekmark and Edwards seem to have made good decisions to move on. Did Boykin move to Penn State? Who is Walker?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, you cant teach "calm" or "confidence". It has to be learned and felt internally.

Unfortunately my attempt at humor missed! Geno has not infrequently referred to Kia's "single speed" game. His best: "hair on fire" game.

PS. I thought the emoticon would give me away.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Unfortunately my attempt at humor missed! Geno has not infrequently referred to Kia's "single speed" game. His best: "hair on fire" game.

PS. I thought the emoticon would give me away.

Ohhhhhhhhh. My bad.

Reaction Score
Ekmark and Edwards seem to have made good decisions to move on. Did Boykin move to Penn State? Who is Walker?
Samaria walker left after her first semester went to Kentucky

Reaction Score
Samaria walker left after her first semester went to Kentucky

Do you think if Walker stayed at UConn she might have made the WNBA? She graduated the year before I became a WBB fan.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom