The "Streak" | The Boneyard

The "Streak"

Reaction Score
This will be my first post, hopefully my longest, and thank you for your patience. I see where some of you have been Husky fans for years and have made thousands of posts. I guess it all starts with one..

In truth, I have only been a true U Conn women's hoop fan/Geno Auriemma fan for about a year. I have been a native Californian my entire life, my nephew graduated from Stanford, my sister (his mom) loves everything Cardinal, and I tried desperately to hate or maybe just ignore everything about Geno for years. I am a guy who loves sports: college and pro football, the NBA, the Oakland A's, etc. Women's college basketball wasn't even on my radar. It was my sister who got me watching Stanford because she liked Tara Vanderveer. She also hated Auriemma (naturally). She thought (still does) he was arrogant, pompous, and mean to his players.

A funny thing happened. The more I watched, the more I realized how much better a coach he was than anyone else in the college game (not just Vanderveer). He wasn't being mean to his players, he was being honest. He wasn't being arrogant to the media, he was being honest. He wasn't pompous, he was demanding. Regardless of the score, his players were being held to a standard of excellence and it was very familiar.

I would guess the majority of fans here are based on the east coast. Most of you have never heard of my high school (De La Salle) or the "streak" we accomplished from 1992-2003 (ended in 2004). Our football team won 151 games in a row for 12 straight years. Looking back as a player, parent and a fan, the program is vastly different than what everyone on the "outside" perceived it to be which is a school that gets all the best players. Nothing could be further from the truth. It's about commitment, accountability, and working harder than anyone else. Winning isn't a goal, it's an outcome based on doing all the other little things right.

That's my perception of UConn Women's basketball. Yes, there have been great players. However, this year's team isn't filled with athletes and skilled All-Americans. Gabby is the only one I would put into that category. Geno and his staff demand more on defense, on making the extra pass, on blocking out, on helping each other, than any other program in the country. They are a joy to watch.

I know how how difficult it was for Geno to say at a press conference that "we get all the best players" because that's what the media wants to hear. You all know differently. They get the "right players". The ones that will buy in and sacrifice. It doesn't matter what the scoreboard says, the staff knows how the team is playing and responding. If they play up to their potential, no one needs to be concerned about the scoreboard. Shooting sometimes takes a night off. Hustle and defense never has to..

Thank you for allowing me to post. I promise posts will be shorter now.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
First of all welcome.

Secondly if I were to shorten your post (although it is not too long) I'd boil it down to these two sentences where I think you captured it correctly: "It's about commitment, accountability, and working harder than anyone else. Winning isn't a goal, it's an outcome based on doing all the other little things right."

That really is what Geno's system is all about.

Reaction Score
Welcome aboard, and if your posts are all as interesting as this one, make 'em as long as you want!:D

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Firstly, welcome to the board.

I think the best player-right player dichotomy is resolved by finding the glue girls (jamelle, Kelley, kalana Greene, etc.), as well as all-world recruits like D,Maya, Stewie, and hopefully Megan. Geno doesn't make this an either-or decision; it's an either-both approach. For every A'ja Wilson he misses, we get big hits like napheesa and Gabby, Katie Lou and Megan. And the next Collier-from Texas, not Missouri- is a big deal for 2018, too! Geno will have assembled kids high in the rankings, as well as the types of kids you just will be happy are on the team. Good times are ahead.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I would guess the majority of fans here are based on the east coast. Most of you have never heard of my high school (De La Salle) or the "streak" we accomplished from 1992-2003 (ended in 2004). Our football team won 151 games in a row for 12 straight years. Looking back as a player, parent and a fan, the program is vastly different than what everyone on the "outside" perceived it to be which is a school that gets all the best players. Nothing could be further from the truth. It's about commitment, accountability, and working harder than anyone else. Winning isn't a goal, it's an outcome based on doing all the other little things right.
Never heard of it? They made a whole movie out of it (with Jesus no less).

Welcome aboard.

That's my perception of UConn Women's basketball. Yes, there have been great players. However, this year's team isn't filled with athletes and skilled All-Americans. Gabby is the only one I would put into that category. Geno and his staff demand more on defense, on making the extra pass, on blocking out, on helping each other, than any other program in the country. They are a joy to watch.
Since you're new, we'll give you a pass on that one. (cough cough, Samuelson, cough cough, Collier)

Reaction Score
Sorry Convert 2016, but Napheesa is an incredible athlete. She is so smooth that maybe you hadn't noticed, but she is extremely athletic.

Reaction Score
Welcome aboard. I have one comment about this board, if you make a mistake you will likely be corrected. It could be a name, date, color, team and mainly height(that will make more sense later). So if you need a bit of information, just post something that is almost true and The Boneyard posters will correct it. I don't mean that in a bad way, just the BY is definitely known for accuracy. Enjoy posting. ;)

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
This will be my first post, hopefully my longest, and thank you for your patience. I see where some of you have been Husky fans for years and have made thousands of posts. I guess it all starts with one..

And a great one, it is! So glad you chimed in with this post.

Welcome to the funny farm :D

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

In truth, I have only been a true U Conn women's hoop fan/Geno Auriemma fan for about a year. I have been a native Californian my entire life, my nephew graduated from Stanford, my sister (his mom) loves everything Cardinal, and I tried desperately to hate or maybe just ignore everything about Geno for years. I am a guy who loves sports: college and pro football, the NBA, the Oakland A's, etc. Women's college basketball wasn't even on my radar. It was my sister who got me watching Stanford because she liked Tara Vanderveer. She also hated Auriemma (naturally). She thought (still does) he was arrogant, pompous, and mean to his players.

A funny thing happened. The more I watched, the more I realized how much better a coach he was than anyone else in the college game (not just Vanderveer). He wasn't being mean to his players, he was being honest. He wasn't being arrogant to the media, he was being honest. He wasn't pompous, he was demanding. Regardless of the score, his players were being held to a standard of excellence and it was very familiar.

I know how how difficult it was for Geno to say at a press conference that "we get all the best players" because that's what the media wants to hear. You all know differently. They get the "right players". The ones that will buy in and sacrifice. It doesn't matter what the scoreboard says, the staff knows how the team is playing and responding. If they play up to their potential, no one needs to be concerned about the scoreboard. Shooting sometimes takes a night off. Hustle and defense never has to..

Welcome to the Boneyard, or as the folks in Knoxville & South Bend call it, THE DARK SIDE. As for the incredible winning streak for your alma mater, De La Salle HS football, surely everyone must have seen the 2014 movie When the Game Stands Tall.

p.s. Geno is a bit arrogant. That's why we love him.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
This will be my first post...In truth, I have only been a true U Conn women's hoop fan/Geno Auriemma fan for about a year. I have been a native Californian my entire life, my nephew graduated from Stanford, my sister (his mom) loves everything Cardinal, and I tried desperately to hate or maybe just ignore everything about Geno for years. I am a guy who loves sports: college and pro football, the NBA, the Oakland A's...Thank you for allowing me to post. I promise posts will be shorter now.

Welcome Convert! We have much in common. Like you, I have no connection (other than my WCBB sentiments) to UConn at all. I got hooked on them in the late 90's. I noticed that their style of play was both innovative and yet fundamentally rock solid. At that point, WBB started to matter more and more. It didn't hurt that my daughter was a HS athlete and my spare time was filled with covering our local college team by doing radio play by play, and a dab of TV too. I've seen collegiate sports from both inside and outside. It was quite an education. I am retired now. I look forward to your future posts. Again, welcome!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Well, I guess you follow in 'Meatheads' footsteps from Bull Durham wanting to 'announce your presence with authority!' Great initial post and welcome to the club - thankfully we have no Kevin Cosner to tell everyone a fastball is coming! (Though I am sure there will be plenty of nits being picked.)

Biff hit it on the head highlighting that line of yours. It is what a lot of people with sports background see, and others would prefer to ignore. You obviously need talent, but that only gets you in the door.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
And a great one, it is! So glad you chimed in with this post.

Welcome to the funny farm :D

funny farm_plus.JPG

And one more tip Convert, if you make a post like VAMike did saying something potentially non-complimentary of the board like "Welcome to the funny farm", you'd better be sure to include the required smiley face emoticon or watch out!!!!! ;) (see there's that smiley face)

Reaction Score
Welcome to the Boneyard, or as the folks in Knoxville & South Bend call it, THE DARK SIDE. As for the incredible winning streak for your alma mater, De La Salle HS football, surely everyone must have seen the 2014 movie When the Game Stands Tall.

p.s. Geno is a bit arrogant. That's why we love him.

That movie gives every DLS supporter nausea. About 20 % was somewhat factual and 80% was total fiction to drive the "Hollywood" narrative. I loved the movie Hoosiers but I bet people from Indiana that knew the story of Milan (not Hickory) High didn't appreciate all the made-up BS about a drunk father (Shooter) who sobers up and becomes the assistant coach, the last-chance coach (Norman Dale) who keeps his job at a church vote and has a creepy love story with Barbara Hershey, or a player (Jimmy Chitwood) who sits out half the season because the old coach was like a father to him. Now I know what "based on a true story" really means.
When all of this is over and Geno has retired, Hollywood will come calling. You all better hope all they do are documentaries. Otherwise you are going to get some crap with Vince Vaughn starring as Geno, as he overcame cerebral palsy and the '63 riots in Mississippi to become the greatest head coach of all-time.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
That movie gives every DLS supporter nausea. About 20 % was somewhat factual and 80% was total fiction to drive the "Hollywood" narrative. I loved the movie Hoosiers but I bet people from Indiana that knew the story of Milan (not Hickory) High didn't appreciate all the made-up BS about a drunk father (Shooter) who sobers up and becomes the assistant coach, the last-chance coach (Norman Dale) who keeps his job at a church vote and has a creepy love story with Barbara Hershey, or a player (Jimmy Chitwood) who sits out half the season because the old coach was like a father to him. Now I know what "based on a true story" really means.
When all of this is over and Geno has retired, Hollywood will come calling. You all better hope all they do are documentaries. Otherwise you are going to get some crap with Vince Vaughn starring as Geno, as he overcame cerebral palsy and the '63 riots in Mississippi to become the greatest head coach of all-time.
To paraphrase Claude Rains, "I'm shocked, shocked to learn that Hollywood would alter a true story for dramatic effect!" :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Women's college basketball wasn't even on my radar. It was my sister who got me watching Stanford because she liked Tara Vanderveer. She also hated Auriemma (naturally). She thought (still does) he was arrogant, pompous, and mean to his players.

A funny thing happened. The more I watched, the more I realized how much better a coach he was than anyone else in the college game (not just Vanderveer). He wasn't being mean to his players, he was being honest. He wasn't being arrogant to the media, he was being honest. He wasn't pompous, he was demanding.

However, this year's team isn't filled with athletes and skilled All-Americans. Gabby is the only one I would put into that category. Geno and his staff demand more on defense, on making the extra pass, on blocking out, on helping each other, than any other program in the country. They are a joy to watch.

Great post. Great post. Welcome aboard. - a few points--
1-- you are going to find here imo that most posters on here have incredible respect for Tara V. I used to hate her after 94-95 - and I wasn't even much of a fan back then but even when I started. Over time my hate totally left and only have 100% respect for her and for who she is or for what she brings.

2-- When you speak of "arrogant, pompous and mean" - your sister hates him as I'm sure many do. The thing is I don't know anyone personally that loves sports and hates him - my family, friends etc. That's I suppose all because I live in CT and we love the team etc. But I would always like to ask somebody a question- maybe at one time you hated him if you answer in your days of hate- "Why do you think so many players return to UCONN after they leave - and you never hear after-the-fact that what was was so awful?" Hereis a link from Seimoen Augustus.

Augustus Has Nothing But Praise For Auriemma

3-- When you say this team "isn't filled with athletes and skilled All-Americans" - they are. Many of us argue this team should have at least three a/a's. Gabby was a h/s a/a. Lou was the number 1 recruit while many on here felt Collier was actually the best. Many of us watched the summer videos in her jr year in which she played with Wilson etc and just were amazed how terrific she looked. And I remember many of us scoffed for example when hoopgurlz/espn put the Spain guard ahead of her.

4-- When Geno speaks of players- I do think he is being very honest when he sates that in order to accomplish what has been done at UCONN - he wouldn't be able to do it without getting tremendous recruits. He did not get the number 1/2 etc rated h/s recruit of 4 years ago or 3 years ago. But he did get Lou. And Collier was regarded at least by many of us on here as a super recruit. He "shouldn't be winning" in this manner but so far it's a testament to what he is as a coach. They are winning without a lot of size and without a preseason all-american. That si remarkable and imo for anyone that is a claimed basketball fan, I don't see how they can't appreciate what is being done.

5-- Are the Golden State Warriors going to win it all this year? Was last year's suspension in finals of Green a bogus suspension? Please beat LeBron.

Reaction Score
Great first post. Please don't be a one hit wonder like M. Knight Shamalamadingdong.

Reaction Score
Great post. Great post. Welcome aboard. - a few points--
1-- you are going to find here imo that most posters on here have incredible respect for Tara V. I used to hate her after 94-95 - and I wasn't even much of a fan back then but even when I started. Over time my hate totally left and only have 100% respect for her and for who she is or for what she brings.

2-- When you speak of "arrogant, pompous and mean" - your sister hates him as I'm sure many do. The thing is I don't know anyone personally that loves sports and hates him - my family, friends etc. That's I suppose all because I live in CT and we love the team etc. But I would always like to ask somebody a question- maybe at one time you hated him if you answer in your days of hate- "Why do you think so many players return to UCONN after they leave - and you never hear after-the-fact that what was was so awful?" Hereis a link from Seimoen Augustus.

Augustus Has Nothing But Praise For Auriemma

3-- When you say this team "isn't filled with athletes and skilled All-Americans" - they are. Many of us argue this team should have at least three a/a's. Gabby was a h/s a/a. Lou was the number 1 recruit while many on here felt Collier was actually the best. Many of us watched the summer videos in her jr year in which she played with Wilson etc and just were amazed how terrific she looked. And I remember many of us scoffed for example when hoopgurlz/espn put the Spain guard ahead of her.

4-- When Geno speaks of players- I do think he is being very honest when he sates that in order to accomplish what has been done at UCONN - he wouldn't be able to do it without getting tremendous recruits. He did not get the number 1/2 etc rated h/s recruit of 4 years ago or 3 years ago. But he did get Lou. And Collier was regarded at least by many of us on here as a super recruit. He "shouldn't be winning" in this manner but so far it's a testament to what he is as a coach. They are winning without a lot of size and without a preseason all-american. That si remarkable and imo for anyone that is a claimed basketball fan, I don't see how they can't appreciate what is being done.

5-- Are the Golden State Warriors going to win it all this year? Was last year's suspension in finals of Green a bogus suspension? Please beat LeBron.

A couple of you have responded on my comment about Gabby being the the only "skilled All-American". First, without a doubt Lou is my favorite player on the team. She is from CA and played at a high school (Mater Dei) that has a history with mine. Second, any player in the staring five (including Saniya) deserves to be on some All-American team. I think what I meant was Gabby would have been an a great player had she ended up at Norfolk State. She is like Michael Jordan (athletically). Pheesa and Lou have developed into great players and a lot of that has to do with the coaches. That's why they came to U Conn. I'm not so sure Lou would have been a great player had she went to Stanford. Maybe a great shooter, but look at how hard she works on "D" and she is a great passer now as well. I have watched several Pac 12 games now and the difference in coaching is night and day. U Conn is far more demanding and so many little things are missed (i.e.-helping each other on defense, the extra pass). I don't think (my personal opinion again) that the coaching staff gets enough credit in how they develop these ladies into great basketball players.

Reaction Score
A couple of you have responded on my comment about Gabby being the the only "skilled All-American". First, without a doubt Lou is my favorite player on the team. She is from CA and played at a high school (Mater Dei) that has a history with mine. Second, any player in the staring five (including Saniya) deserves to be on some All-American team. I think what I meant was Gabby would have been an a great player had she ended up at Norfolk State. She is like Michael Jordan (athletically). Pheesa and Lou have developed into great players and a lot of that has to do with the coaches. That's why they came to U Conn. I'm not so sure Lou would have been a great player had she went to Stanford. Maybe a great shooter, but look at how hard she works on "D" and she is a great passer now as well. I have watched several Pac 12 games now and the difference in coaching is night and day. U Conn is far more demanding and so many little things are missed (i.e.-helping each other on defense, the extra pass). I don't think (my personal opinion again) that the coaching staff gets enough credit in how they develop these ladies into great basketball players.

I'm not so sure about the bold but I am sure about "that I don't think she would have been as great of a player if she had gone to Stanford vs UCONN."

I am glad you are aboard. Looks like we'll have another ally vs those that have analyzed that "minutes" is so extremely important that UCONN actually isn't that great of a choice for them. Minutes is very important to a degree (if you don't get any - that's no good. if you had aspirations to play more at the next level etc) but you'll find sometimes a subject like that comes up and posters will say "so-and-so" would be better off had she gone to another school because she could have gotten more minutes.

If you look at Gabby she averaged 15.6 minutes and 18.6 her frosh and soph years. Stokes never got big minutes. Last year Lou averaged 23.5 and Collier 17.2. Then all 3 the very next year are beasts. So how was it that "minutes" meant so much? It took Geno only one year of which Lou and Collier whom didn't get a lot of minutes in their frosh year or not a lot of touches to being this terrific. And two years of Gabby not getting a lot of minutes to being this good. While Kia Nurse is as good as ever/better than ever and she got 25 and 28.3 minutes her frosh and soph year. She got more minutes yet the others will probably be rated as an a/a higher than her.

For the record, imo Kia Nurse is also a beast.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom