The Storrs Address | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Storrs Address

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Would the BE be more "fun" to watch as a fan? Yes.

Would it make the MBB program better? I don't think there is evidence of that. As of today we have the 16th ranked incoming class. How is that possible if the program is on life support? Assuming that Hurley can coach and that he can continue to bring in top 20 classes, I have very little concern for the MBB program.

To me it is just about fixing football. And if the new AAC deal gives us $5M more a year, to make up a number, and we put ALL of that $5M into football coaching - that pretty much gets us where we need to be from a financial standpoint - on par with today.

None of us know how much of the ~$30M deficit (ignoring student fees) is tenable in for the AD to run in the long-term. We know there is no requirement to run it at breakeven - so what is that marketing value, etc? IDK - and maybe they would be ok running at a $20M deficit. You'd have to look at the entirety of the budget to understand. Could you find $10M without crippling the AD? Probably. They don't appear to have tried very hard.

I want to be in the ACC/B12/B10 etc - but I'm not sure that the AAC = death.

Also - do we know if the severance payments for Diaco, etc - were in the $40M loss number? Or any other big one-time bad guys?

pretty sure diaco was paid in full in the prior year than the numbers we saw most recently

Reaction Score
Been about 5 or 6 years since CR and we are still having these therapy sessions. I need a beer.

Reaction Score
pretty sure diaco was paid in full in the prior year than the numbers we saw most recently

Could be. Wonder what the change was from the prior year. Did we see a number from the year before?

Reaction Score
so youve got nothing. cool. thanks.

we’ll put you on a monitoring station.

mets already is in charge of sitting by the big ten bat phone....

butch has the tinfoil hat that captures all the secret manuvering...

you can be on floog and dood duty.
Nor do You obviously

Reaction Score
UConn is a university where it is illegal for the coaching staffs to lead prayers in the huddle or locker room (as it should be). Why would UConn join the BE?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Even if they bought the idea (they wouldn't) we would be the ACC's crippled step child in perpetuity, not good.
It’s actually not thhhhaaaaatttt crazy if ACC decides to go 16 in everything else but stay at 14 in football. We have strong baseball and soccer. Not necessarily revenue sports but sports that a lot of people in the ACC actually care about. Oh and sometimes our basketball is good.

If they ever decide to go that route (.0000000001%) chance. You would have to think we’d look pretty good. If we get an indie deal where we get 3 or 4 ACC football games and even 1/2 the TV contract with ability to sell our football games to SNY I would absolutely sign up for that.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame got $5.6 milion for it's non football sports.

There was a demand for the five Irish football games....not so sure there is such an ACC demand for UConn football.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The ACC has a new linear network that needs a huge volume of content to be successful.

Unless you think that UConn mens and womens basketball has no value to a tv network or the ACC is just plain stupid - it’s an almost perfect fit if UConn doesnt have zombie football.

Or I guess you can just keep hiring people like Randy Edsall, run the worst program in the country, lose every game by 50 and keep lying to yourselves that its magically going to change when you are locked in recruiting battles with Seton Hill.

do this while spending more money on cap projects like the rinky dink rink, watch the block funding from the state disappear, really see the pressure on the budget ratched up and hope for the best

monitor the situation... thats been a winner

Reaction Score
We do know that the ACC has increased the number of conference basketball games to 19 to accomodate the ACCN....and is opening football with conference games to boost viewership.

The jury is still out on the national demand for volleyball, soccer, lacrosse, baseball.

The two Virginia-Duke matches this year are ESPN's two most watched basketball games...the recent match drew 3.3 million.
Basketball interest is there if the the matches are compelling.

But there will be a lot of sports programming beyond football/basketball...27 sports.

"The release also says the 24/7 network will air "1,300 live events annually across its TV and digital offerings from around the conference's 15 member schools and 27 sponsored sports."

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom