The State Of Our Roster Right Now | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The State Of Our Roster Right Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Gilbert, Adams, Purvis, and Jackson could be deadly together. AG + JA to attack and penetrate with RP + VJ to hit shots on the perimeter. Still like this team without Hamilton, though I'd still like it a lot better with him.

And yet, we gotta remember, that's two freshman right there. No matter how good they are coming in, they almost always struggle, at UCONN at any rate.

Reaction Score
If Jackson and Larrier can both contribute at this level from Day 1, that could make up for the loss of Hamilton.

The problem is, Jackson could be anyone from Scottie Haralson to a bigger Rashad Anderson, we just have no idea.
Larrier could be peak Stanley Robinson, or he could be a slightly more athletic Daniel Hamilton with none of the skill or BBIQ.

Either way, the loss of Hamilton really hurts our depth at the 3/4. The real beneficiary of his departure is Facey. We basically have no choice but to play him 25-30 mpg, which will be problematic unless he has a major leap over the summer.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
If Jackson and Larrier can both contribute at this level from Day 1, that could make up for the loss of Hamilton.The problem is, Jackson could be anyone from Scottie Haralson to a bigger Rashad Anderson, we just have no idea.

I'm really not trying to be a wet blanket, but when was the last time we had a freshman come in and have a dynamic impact from day one? I might go all the way back to KEA. You could say Butler, Charlie, Rudy, and even Marcus Williams (before suspension) had an impact, but it wasn't like a veteran piece.

For, it's really tough, not Kemba, not Shabazz, not Jalen....all had their moments, but it wasn't til later in their careers (for the former) that they truly shined.

Note, I don't count Larrier in any of this. He's a veteran at this stage, although will still have growing pains as he gets his feet back under him, a la Purvis.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I'm really not trying to be a wet blanket, but when was the last time we had a freshman come in and have a dynamic impact from day one? I might go all the way back to KEA. You could say Butler, Charlie, Rudy, and even Marcus Williams (before suspension) had an impact, but it wasn't like a veteran piece.

For, it's really tough, not Kemba, not Shabazz, not Jalen....all had their moments, but it wasn't til later in their careers (for the former) that they truly shined.

Note, I don't count Larrier in any of this. He's a veteran at this stage, although will still have growing pains as he gets his feet back under him, a la Purvis.
Agree. Best to temper expectations.

The starting nucleus was going to be DHam, Purvis, Jalen and Amida. And the integration with those four would have been either Larrier or Gilbert. Jackson, Steve, Kentan and Diarra would all have been role players with Durham red shirting and KO finding a guard back up.

Now the starting line up will consist of potentially four players with one or less seasons of college bb under KO's system. As you point out Purvis took time to get kinks out and that may also happen with Larrier.

Hopefully Amida and Rodney return.

Reaction Score
Don't concern yourself with Larrier he will contribute, year at VCU, year of practice with the huskies, high rank out of hs. NYC kid. Have to believe he will be a major player for us in a short time.

Reaction Score
Don't concern yourself with Larrier he will contribute, year at VCU, year of practice with the huskies, high rank out of hs. NYC kid. Have to believe he will be a major player for us in a short time.
That's what we thought about purvis, and he was a Ferrari. Best to project him as a contributor rather than a major player until we know what kind of car he is...temper those expectations a bit

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Despite my best efforts this past season, I drank the pre-season Koolaid and was disappointed. I'm trying to lower my expectations for next year.

That said, what we lack in experience we may gain in chemistry. Last year's team never seemed to gel, well maybe at the end of the season. I think a bunch of young, talented guys, with one established charismatic leader to show them ropes may be just what the doctor ordered.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Despite my best efforts this past season, I drank the pre-season Koolaid and was disappointed. I'm trying to lower my expectations for next year.

That said, what we lack in experience we may gain in chemistry. Last year's team never seemed to gel, well maybe at the end of the season. I think a bunch of young, talented guys, with one established charismatic leader to show them ropes may be just what the doctor ordered.

I'm of the belief that, in college especially, chemistry flows from the point. That was evident this year, and in 2012 (when Bazz was not ready).

We are much better situated at that position next year than this one. On the flipside, the position will be filled by real young guys, so that could hurt. Either way, it will be fun to watch.

Reaction Score
I'm of the belief that, in college especially, chemistry flows from the point. That was evident this year, and in 2012 (when Bazz was not ready).

We are much better situated at that position next year than this one. On the flipside, the position will be filled by real young guys, so that could hurt. Either way, it will be fun to watch.
That's exactly what I'm most nervous about. If purvis doesn't come back then I feel like next season will be very reminiscent of 2012 with sophomore bazz

Reaction Score
That's exactly what I'm most nervous about. If purvis doesn't come back then I feel like next season will be very reminiscent of 2012 with sophomore bazz

If Purvis doesn't come back, I would take our 2012 results in a heartbeat.

Our team would be Adams, Gilbert, and...? Brimah? Facey? Larrier?

On Larrier: Remember how disjointed Purvis was in his first year back, and he was a more highly-rated recruit and had a much better freshman year than Larrier. I expect Larrier to be in the mix at the 3/4, but probably not one of our best 4 players.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Losing Miller hurts the most. But I feel better about our roster next year than what we had at the end of the season this year. D Ham and Gibbs were awful on defense. Neither was really able to create their own shot. I really like that we will be more athletic on the wing with Larrier and hopefully a more consistent shooter with Jackson. Gilbert provides another creator to help Adams. On paper I really think the pieces fit better this year. If Adams doesn't hit that 3 the season would of been a major disappointment. But, who knows what we really have until we start playing games.

Adams didn't have to make the three. We were already in the tournament. It actually may have hurt more than it helped. We might have been a 10 or 11 seed and wouldn't have faced a Kansas in a second game, assuming we won the first one in the NCAA's. But at least Hamilton and his teammates can now say they won an AAC tournament, as if that's a great distinction.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
If Purvis doesn't come back, I would take our 2012 results in a heartbeat.

Our team would be Adams, Gilbert, and...? Brimah? Facey? Larrier?

On Larrier: Remember how disjointed Purvis was in his first year back, and he was a more highly-rated recruit and had a much better freshman year than Larrier. I expect Larrier to be in the mix at the 3/4, but probably not one of our best 4 players.

Just to note, while I'm similar to you on the Larrier projection, didn't Purvis have shoulder surgery and subsequently very little time to work (outside rehab) the offseason before returning?

Reaction Score
I

How a transfer is able to adapt after a year off is going to depend greatly on the individual. There's really no point in trying to project.

As for their comparative freshman seasons, it's not at all accurate to say that Purvis "had a much better freshman year" than Larrier.

In the Larrier thread I noted the following:

Larrier's per 40 minute numbers were generally better -- higher scoring average, (predictably) better rebounding, and comparable assist average. Their 2 point shooting %s were very similar and Larrier and had a higher PER. The difference in competition could account for that. Purvis was a significantly better 3 point shooter, and Larrier was much better from the line.

Reaction Score
I'm actually less concerned about the guards and more concerned about front court rebounding and scoring. Hamilton rebounded well and Miller finished great when he got the ball in the paint. We know Brimah isn't going to put up big numbers especially with Hamilton gone. Miller did a lot of things well and he will be missed more than any player.

Reaction Score
I think a penetration attack of Gilbert and Adams with Purvis and Vance Jackson getting kickouts and hitting threes will be nice. We just need someone to get those boards.
Just like Villanova only without a big who can score and rebound.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23, ‘24
Reaction Score
Just like Villanova only without a big who can score and rebound.
I'm hoping one of Amida, Facey, Enoch, Diarra and Durham can emerge as a legit post threat.

Reaction Score
That is like saying Scottie Pippen was chop liver just because MJ was on the bulls. Josh Jackson is one of the best players in the nation. We are just asking Vance to hit some 3's when open in our offense and not be this great dynamic offensive player.

derrrrrp, he was saying it's impressive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3