The Starters Chime In | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The Starters Chime In

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I really can't believe that some of us can disagree with the guy who has one 11 titles and has the greatest winning percentage in the sport. I write software for a living. If Geno wants to try his hand at it, I can give him a couple of pointers. I coach basketball as a hobby. I can criticize him when I've one the rec league title 8 or 9 times. His standards give his results.

Reaction Score
No you CAN"t argue with result---but in a open fair and honest forum you could DISCUSS the view of Uconn Frosh vs those of other team (as you have done).
When GENO, himself, is apparently questioning why frosh are not "stepping up" and meeting his requirement--to me that becomes fair game toward any discussion---no Nc' or 11 NC's--they are not part of the discussion--using an unfair statement : that was then this is now (my rebuke to those who cut off arguments with---you cant argue with his 11 NC)--Certainly you can discuss--and we do.
Geno has had values in the past he no longer finds works with the New breed (within the last 15 years) of players (and these new ones don't accept being pushed excessively). So it is not a valid discussion that Geno is fixed strongly in those old views. AS needed he can and I am sure will change if it becomes advantageous to winning or means not winning.

At this point, it seems to me there has been extensive discussion on the Boneyard of the issue of Geno's reluctance/refusal to play MW/KI/MC/AEH (not to mention BC's physical capability to play) during the meaningful minutes of games, i.e., when the margin of the score is less than 20 points. This discussion has taken place on at least four or five different threads, if not more.

Clearly, at least four or five on this site believe strongly and vocally that Geno should be playing at least MW and KI during some meaningful minutes in games and not wait to do so until they consistently meet some standard of performance during numerous practices. In fact, these individuals suggest that, if Geno does not adopt this practice but continues to play the core six during all meaningful (and many non-meaningful) minutes of games, not only are the chances of winning a national championship this year diminished but, in addition, future highly sought-after recruits in the current generation may choose programs other than UConn due to this practice.

Others on this site concede that, even if the approach being urged of playing MW/KI/MC during critical moments of games makes sense, there is no indication Geno is changing his policy of not playing his youngest players until they satisfy his practice standards. Nonetheless, this group is not overly concerned because they believe Geno will add MW (and possibly KI or MC) at the very least to the regular rotation in time for the NCAA Tournament AND because Geno has won 11 national championships doing it his way, no matter how the rest of country's coaches are doing it.

There appears to be no real debate however between either group that, at this point in the season, Geno will not begin playing any player beyond the core six in critical minutes of games unless and until such such player meets the requisite standards in practice consistently and sufficiently. In my mind, the only real issue in debate is whether Geno would change his policy in this regard even if he thought it might increase the chances of winning a specific game or games this season (such as the semi-final or final of the NCAA tournament.) Unlike others, I think he would not because this policy and practice is fundamental to his view of how the world should work and he will not vary it even for another national championship. I may well be wrong however and Geno may be sufficiently "pragmatic" to do so.

Either way, I think meyers7 is correct that the discussion is largely exhausted (and should end) regarding the topic of whether Geno will (or even should) change his practice of refusing to play individuals in meaningful moments in games until they meet his practice standards.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I am disappointed to see that press keeps reporting the same information on UCONN has 12 scholarship players and only has 7 players that play against ND top 15 teams. The following about the American Conference is a given:
1. It has few top 20 rated players except for UCONN. The coaches in the conference are not trying to improve their players enough or get more talented players.
2. UConn players from 1-12 exceed the talented on these teams. Alexis, Molly, Kayla etc can play competitively for full games.
3. Megan Walker has exceptional talent and she will be great player for us in this years NCAA tournament and next years team. I sit at courside and saw how she rebounded against ND in that four quarter which was hugh for us.
4. Shea and Moseley are responsible for recruiting of guards and forwards. Next they are judged on developing the players once they get here. For example Molly works with Shea and Kayla with Moseley for last 18 months. These get paid well as Shea makes close to $90,000 and Moseley over $75,000.
5. There are limited elite athletes that gifted with speed, jumping ability,pure shooting form and ability to perform under pressure. We are lucky to have seven players that gifted including Megan.
6. We know that balance of bench can play major minutes in the conference if the position Coach can do their jobs.
7. Shea and Moseley recruited players outside of top 7. To my knowledge Geno never saw Kayla on Molly outside of top 75 players or Alexis at their high schools. These coaches should be accountable for their selection and work with these players. How can press report that the speed of game was to fast for Alexis through October? Nothing should be said on this to the public.
Let us let players work in their drills and support everyone.
I'm not sure where you arte getting your information, but let me correct a couple points:
  • The other coaches in the AAC are doing everything possible to get better players at their schools, but they lack the resources and reputation of UConn
  • Shea & Marissa both make 6 figure salaries at UConn
  • All decisions on who is offered scholarships are made with the collective input of the entire staff, but ultimately, Geno, and Geno alone, makes the final decision.
  • I can absolutely guarantee that Geno has either seen every player offered a scholarship at UConn in person or on film

Reaction Score
At this point, it seems to me there has been extensive discussion on the Boneyard of the issue of Geno's reluctance/refusal to play MW/KI/MC/AEH (not to mention BC's physical capability to play) during the meaningful minutes of games, i.e., when the margin of the score is less than 20 points. This discussion has taken place on at least four or five different threads, if not more.

Clearly, at least four or five on this site believe strongly and vocally that Geno should be playing at least MW and KI during some meaningful minutes in games and not wait to do so until they consistently meet some standard of performance during numerous practices. In fact, these individuals suggest that, if Geno does not adopt this practice but continues to play the core six during all meaningful (and many non-meaningful) minutes of games, not only are the chances of winning a national championship this year diminished but, in addition, future highly sought-after recruits in the current generation may choose programs other than UConn due to this practice.

Others on this site concede that, even if the approach being urged of playing MW/KI/MC during critical moments of games makes sense, there is no indication Geno is changing his policy of not playing his youngest players until they satisfy his practice standards. Nonetheless, this group is not overly concerned because they believe Geno will add MW (and possibly KI or MC) at the very least to the regular rotation in time for the NCAA Tournament AND because Geno has won 11 national championships doing it his way, no matter how the rest of country's coaches are doing it.

There appears to be no real debate however between either group that, at this point in the season, Geno will not begin playing any player beyond the core six in critical minutes of games unless and until such such player meets the requisite standards in practice consistently and sufficiently. In my mind, the only real issue in debate is whether Geno would change his policy in this regard even if he thought it might increase the chances of winning a specific game or games this season (such as the semi-final or final of the NCAA tournament.) Unlike others, I think he would not because this policy and practice is fundamental to his view of how the world should work and he will not vary it even for another national championship. I may well be wrong however and Geno may be sufficiently "pragmatic" to do so.

Either way, I think meyers7 is correct that the discussion is largely exhausted (and should end) regarding the topic of whether Geno will (or even should) change his practice of refusing to play individuals in meaningful moments in games until they meet his practice standards.

After Geno playing the kids tonight---the discussion may end. But as long as Geno talks about their not playing and the need for them--That is fair game for any posting.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure where you arte getting your information, but let me correct a couple points:
  • The other coaches in the AAC are doing everything possible to get better players at their schools, but they lack the resources and reputation of UConn
  • Shea & Marissa both make 6 figure salaries at UConn
  • All decisions on who is offered scholarships are made with the collective input of the entire staff, but ultimately, Geno, and Geno alone, makes the final decision.
  • I can absolutely guarantee that Geno has either seen every player offered a scholarship at UConn in person or on film
Your second bubble---Kenny Brooks, now at Virginia Tech, formerly from James Madison U HC for about 15 years---never came close to those salaries---they are not running anywhere soon, without HC experience Div 1's don't all have the money to make them better offers, just a guess.
AAC and other lessor leagues--don't draw the crowds and don't offer the money Uconn/Geno gets or the program gets--MONEY, unfortunately makes small programs bigger.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
Do you have any idea of the content of those courses??

Uh, yeah. I’m a Uconn Business School grad and a 50 year (successful) small business owner. What brought that on?

Reaction Score
Just about everything has been said on this subject, but one point I believe needs to be added to this discussion. Geno does not need the freshmen to win a National Championship this year. He needs the top six (or even only the top five) to play really, really excellent ball to win a National Championship this year. If people are saying the freshmen need playing time in games to become serviceable players, how much more do the top players need ample time, huge amounts of time, to become amazing players. What we saw in the Texas game is another team playing UConn fairly evenly. And that was not even the number two, three, or four team. One does not put a lock on a National Championship by playing teams about as well as they play you. You have got to go out and play great ball every game in the tournament. We've seen Geno win 11 National Championships and probably become a little complacent and at least subconsciously start to think that it is an easy task. It is not. It has to be grueling for all involved. And the only way to do it is if everyone puts in the work. The freshmen will be needed at some point, probably two years from now. However, the top six are needed to be at peak performance in a few weeks. They need the time more than anybody if the goal is true excellence and a National Championship. That is what I hope is the goal. If the goal is mediocrity, let them share the time equally. Otherwise, let them earn their time playing against really good practice players. Then maybe they can contribute to winning a National Championship.

Reaction Score
I am disappointed to see that press keeps reporting the same information on UCONN has 12 scholarship players and only has 7 players that play against ND top 15 teams. The following about the American Conference is a given:
1. It has few top 20 rated players except for UCONN. The coaches in the conference are not trying to improve their players enough or get more talented players.
2. UConn players from 1-12 exceed the talented on these teams. Alexis, Molly, Kayla etc can play competitively for full games.
3. Megan Walker has exceptional talent and she will be great player for us in this years NCAA tournament and next years team. I sit at courside and saw how she rebounded against ND in that four quarter which was hugh for us.
4. Shea and Moseley are responsible for recruiting of guards and forwards. Next they are judged on developing the players once they get here. For example Molly works with Shea and Kayla with Moseley for last 18 months. These get paid well as Shea makes close to $90,000 and Moseley over $75,000.
5. There are limited elite athletes that gifted with speed, jumping ability,pure shooting form and ability to perform under pressure. We are lucky to have seven players that gifted including Megan.
6. We know that balance of bench can play major minutes in the conference if the position Coach can do their jobs.
7. Shea and Moseley recruited players outside of top 7. To my knowledge Geno never saw Kayla on Molly outside of top 75 players or Alexis at their high schools. These coaches should be accountable for their selection and work with these players. How can press report that the speed of game was to fast for Alexis through October? Nothing should be said on this to the public.
Let us let players work in their drills and support everyone.
No.6 if the position coaches can do their jobs. Are you serious! Both Shea and Marissa are 2 of the best assts. in the country! The players that have played for them have not just shown what they have improved on skill wise but have also credited them for it! As far as recruiting, Geno will not sign a recruit without at least seeing film on that player 99% of the time! Also Uconns 2 Assistants both make about $100,000 more than you mentioned and do you Know why? They earned it and deserve it!

Reaction Score
I’ve just never understood Auriemma’s need to use the media to make a point to his players. With his stature as a coach, if he brings a player into his office, tells them why they’re not playing and what they need to do to get on the floor, IMO they’re going to get that message. When they can earn it they will. If they don’t, then too bad. IMO, hearing all this in interviews and seeing all the quotes doesn’t help the kids at all. When asked why the bench isn’t playing quality minutes, just tell the media that they’re not ready. I think that business should be between the coaches and the players. I just don’t see the need to entertain the media.

You don't know that he has not spoken to the players one on one. I would be shocked if that was the case.

Reaction Score
You don't know that he has not spoken to the players one on one. I would be shocked if that was the case.
I’m sure he has. That’s my point. There’s no reason to then spread the conversation all thru the media. After your boss tells you about the 3-4 things wrong with your job performance, would you then like to see it splashed all over the company’s website? Not to mention the national media.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom