The Stan Simpson Show – The return of Randy Edsall

Discussion in 'UConn Football' started by huskymedic, Jan 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. huskymedic

huskymedic

jostar1 likes this.
  2. junglehusky

junglehusky Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness

Anthony mentioning degradation of Diaco's relationship with Benedict and "others on campus" .... interesting. Echoing what we've heard elsewhere - I wonder if "others on campus" was just coaches / people from other sports, or maybe also Herbst and/or trustees?

3. huskyrob1

huskyrob1

Actually Anthony was being kind calling it a degradation.

SAMCRO likes this.
  4. SAMCRO

SAMCRO

BD's relationship with many members of UConn's AD was no bueno. It predates Athletic Director Dave's arrival too. From BD's first year on campus he was not making many friends outside of the football offices. He was seen as very cocky and viewed himself as 'above' everyone else right off the bat. Apparently he walked around as if he'd been winning championships for years when he hadn't won a thing (I was told that at the Boise State game in his first year). There were a lot of people inside UConn privately very happy that he was failing. They were not happy football was struggling b/c they really liked the kids (and it was not good for UConn), but they didn't feel bad for BD at all, and they were happy AD Dave got him out of there so quickly. I got that directly from a coach of another sport, and 2 employees inside the AD. BD wouldn't listen to anyone, and was convinced he knew best and was doing everything right.... even at the very end.

5. MattMang23

MattMang23 Contrarian

I know a CT high school coach. He told me in 2014 when we hired BD that it wouldn't work out. He said the same thing- BD is too cocky, too arrogant and rubs people the wrong way. I was told BCU interviewed BD when they hired Addazzio and couldn't run away fast enough. The HS coach said no way BD will be able to recruit because people just don't like him.

I refused to believe him, but he was right.

6. whaler11

whaler11 Kickoff: 11:11

The guy acted as though football needed to be reinvented.

Looking back it's crazy anyone ever thought it had a chance of working.

7. huskyrob1

huskyrob1

If he had kept his mouth shut and not tried to blame others for the problems in the won-loss column and accepted responsibility he still might be coach. Ugh. When he began complaining about this to DB and pointing the proverbial finger, that was the last straw for Benedict and the "others".

UConnNick and Chin Diesel like this.
  8. noeynox

noeynox

I just felt every time he spoke the words never came close to the reality your eyes were seeing.

Year 1, you say he's different.

Year 2, maybe different could work.

Year 3, you just want to tell this dude to shut his pie hole. And it started with that goal line sequence down at Navy. Dummy couldn't even keep track of what down it was.

UConnNick, tjhusky, CTMike and 4 others like this.
  9. Pudge

Pudge

ACTUALLY ... I might have been right in saying that Diaco WORKED to get pushed out for that $3.4m. Lets speculate ... and its what we do well here ... he knew he was over his head. Totally toxic demoralizing last few months. After a lot of cray-crazy talk.

UConnNick, jdb50, whaler11 and 2 others like this.
  10. hardcorehusky

hardcorehusky Randy's back and you're gonna be sorry!!

He is out because he was given an action plan to hire an offensive coordinator who would move the program forward. His bosses gave him that coordinator and he rejected it, hence, he violated his plan and was relieved of his duties. He had lost the fanbase and that meant $$ to the athletic department. Blaming others was part of his issues, but not enough to let him go.

CTMike likes this.
  11. huskyrob1

huskyrob1

No you're wrong. He was canned for his constant complaining about and blaming not so much "others" (plural) but one individual in particular for the problems he was having as UCONN's coach. Ths what really put him on DB's Sh!!t list and the S list of a few others. Trust me, I know.

12. hardcorehusky

OK, I'll bite. How do you know?

13. TRest

TRest Horrible

Surprising that someone obviously in over his head and alienating everyone in the department could warrant such a favorable extension. Maybe panic over possible B12 invite and wanting to seem "invested" in football?

14. huskyrob1

huskyrob1

Can't say, I can pm you maybe later.

15. hardcorehusky

I would appreciate that - we can compare "notes".

16. SubbaBub

SubbaBub Your stupidity is ruining my country.

After the St Pete bowl everyone was optimistic that it might work regardless of his odd demeanor. After Navy and Cuse, the oddness just wasn't going to be tolerated. If he acted behind the scenes the same way he was in public, there was no other possible outcome. Players, coaches, AD personnel, campus people, none were going to buy what he was selling with results that bad. The snowball grew very quickly. You don't need to be on the inside to see that.

17. noeynox

noeynox

I thought of this when, he fired Narduzzi, tried to install a spread on the fly and burned DW's with 3 games left. That was borderline coaching malpractice.

18. Stinger92860

Stinger92860

Who could that be that one person? Is it the AD or someone forced on him. Any guesses, since rob and hardcore are getting a room.

Jarhead_1775, Showballot and Bonehead like this.
  19. Hoophound

Hoophound

That story is BS. ;)

20. Stinger92860

Stinger92860

Got it..

jostar1 likes this.
  21. Colt house75

Colt house75

Noey... Verducci not Narduzzi...
    Verducci and the offense was struggling, Shirreffs was hurt, and he was grasping at straws.. Actually hanging on to the last straw after the debacle at Navy/Syracuse/ECU et al...

22. jdb50

jdb50

There was two years of blaming Pasqualoni. Diaco thought he was a short timer here until he failed and he also failed to see his failure. For him to be given that contract upgrade given what people inside knew was criminal. Should have let him leave.

23. noeynox

noeynox

Yeah brain fart or phone correction. Shirreffs was hurt, but the season wasn't going anywhere. Let Garrett Anderson play out the string with systems in place you practiced all year. That move was either throwing crap against the wall to see what sticks, or as @Pudge suggested self sabotaging to collect his buyout.

There is no way he thought he was going to save the season with that move. Unless he really is That stupid.

Woof 101 and whaler11 like this.
  24. whaler11

whaler11 Kickoff: 11:11

I agree with Pudge he was open to leaving with the cash - but I don't think he got there until after the season.

25. jdb50

jdb50

Go back to August with BD pumping up Garrret and then he went to Williams when Bryant was hurt was just another reason to fire him. Way too much bs from that guy.

26. huskyrob1

huskyrob1

I think he was gone, in the eyes of a lot of people after the Navy game. His inability to coach the team during the game was showcased for all to see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.