The Staley Effect ? Wisconsin Hires Marisa Mosely | The Boneyard

The Staley Effect ? Wisconsin Hires Marisa Mosely

Reaction Score
This has nothing to do with race-but its opportunity. Or to insinuate Coach Staley made this hire so to speak. After close to a decade of being an assistant at UConn and a few years as Head coach Boston University-she finally gets a shot at a P5 job. This brings the number of black female head coaches who got an opportunity to 14 in P5 (8%) . Of the 65 Power Five schools, 62 have at least one Black assistant on staff as of 2020. This post is not "Hire only black caoches". Its referencing what coach Staley brought to light-black women are not getting opportunities to get these jobs.

*Note -Two Males [Virginia Tech & Syracuse ]
Head Black WBB Coaches = 14

[7 in the SEC, // 1 each @ Duke,AZ,Rutgers,Notre Dame,Virginia, Cal _now Wisconsin,

Wisconsin hires a Black Female Head Coach

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Don’t think I’d describe it as “Marisa finally got a shot at a P5 job.” As if it were overdue.
I was shocked she got the Wis job so soon. She did well but not amazing at BU. She may in fact do great there (I hope so!) but I’d hardly describe her as having had a glass ceiling so far.

Reaction Score
I’m going to go out on a limb and suggest that a recommendation from Geno probably had a little bit more to do with Marisa getting the job.

Reaction Score
I’m going to go out on a limb and suggest that a recommendation from Geno probably had a little bit more to do with Marisa getting the job.
Maybe it did but I don’t know that I’d put all that much weight n Genos opinion. I’m sure he has given stellar recommendations for Jamelle, Tonya, and Jen R.

Reaction Score
Maybe it did but I don’t know that I’d put all that much weight n Genos opinion. I’m sure he has given stellar recommendations for Jamelle, Tonya, and Jen R.

And they all got jobs.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Why not call it the C Vivian Stringer effect? I mean she does have over 1000 wins and has been around coaching winners since Staley was in junior HS.
And they all got jobs.
Jen, I think, got her job without Geno - she was still playing professionally and the job offer came out of left field - and she continued to play for 4 years while coaching at Hartford.

Reaction Score
It is always going to be about race. If it was about opportunity, a lot of other coaches, especially from HBCUs would have received some looks from schools over the years. Some of those coaches, if not all of them, are well qualified to coach a P5 program. Pretty sure some of those coaches would love an "opportunity" to coach at a P5 school, if they are getting offers or even applying. We will never know the truth of the matter with these situations.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I trust your feelings are genuine
I’m not so sure. This is his or her second post that feels a bit off to me. For what it’s worth.

Reaction Score
It is always going to be about race. If it was about opportunity, a lot of other coaches, especially from HBCUs would have received some looks from schools over the years. Some of those coaches, if not all of them, are well qualified to coach a P5 program. Pretty sure some of those coaches would love an "opportunity" to coach at a P5 school, if they are getting offers or even applying. We will never know the truth of the matter with these situations.

The jump from HBCU to P5 is huge that is why you don't see it that often. There is often a progression from a low major to a mid major to a high major. George Mason just hired a coach from Bethune Cookman and if she wins there then I am sure the P5 universities will take a look.

Reaction Score
That, and the fact that she had been an assistant coach at Wisconsin and was well known and respected at Wisconsin.

Reaction Score
That, and the fact that she had been an assistant coach at Wisconsin and was well known and respected at Wisconsin.
Moseley was never an assistant at Wisconsin

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Why not call it the C Vivian Stringer effect? I mean she does have over 1000 wins and has been around coaching winners since Staley was in junior HS.

Jen, I think, got her job without Geno - she was still playing professionally and the job offer came out of left field - and she continued to play for 4 years while coaching at Hartford.

Dawn Staley gives regular props to CVS for paving the way, she obviously looks up to her as a mentor.

In terms of Black women, the CVS coaching tree has a few branches out there right now.

Tasha Pointer (who was an assistant at RU, among others) is now head coach at UIChicago.
Jolette Law was a longtime RU assistant, was briefly head coach at Illinois, and is now an assistant at South Carolina.
Tia Jackson has been a head coach as well as an RU assistant, and is now an assistant at Duke.
Marianna Freeman, who was Syracuse's head coach for a decade, was an assistant to CVS at Iowa and a player for her at Cheyney.
Chelsea Newton was an assistant at RU, is now an assistant at UGA.

There are a number of former CVS players in assistant rules too who have not coached on a CVS staff, including Shannon Perry at UCLA, Myia McCurdy at Penn State, Khadijah Rushdan at N. Florida, Tangela Smith at Northwestern.

Both Michelle Edwards and Nadine Domond, former Iowa players for CVS, are currently on the RU coaching staff.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
giphy.gif

Reaction Score
And they all got jobs.
Jamelle and Jen got fired. Tonya has done ok not great at Temple. I’m sure all were highly recommended by Geno.
If I were a smart AD I wouldn’t put too much weight on his recommendation.

Reaction Score
That, and the fact that she had been an assistant coach at Wisconsin and was well known and respected at Wisconsin.maris
Minnesota

Reaction Score
The jump from HBCU to P5 is huge that is why you don't see it that often. There is often a progression from a low major to a mid major to a high major. George Mason just hired a coach from Bethune Cookman and if she wins there then I am sure the P5 universities will take a look.
Icing a Ball screen is the same on all levels. The dribble drive is the same from High School to the WNBA

Reaction Score
Icing a Ball screen is the same on all levels. The dribble drive is the same from High School to the WNBA
What? By this logic Vandy should just hire some good high school or community college coach.

A P5 is a major job with significant money. You are not generally going to take a risk on a low major coach unless s/he has been unbelievable. MEAC and SWAC are pretty much the lowest of low majors. Those coaches would need to move to a mid major and be successful before they’d have a shot at a P5. The new coach at George Mason is on that path.

BU is a stretch to jump to a P5 but Marisa at least had the pedigree of a near decade at UConn.

Reaction Score
BU is a stretch to jump to a P5 but Marisa at least had the pedigree of a near decade at UConn.

Wait. I thought you said a UConn pedigree is basically meaningless. So confused.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What? By this logic Vandy should just hire some good high school or community college coach.

A P5 is a major job with significant money. You are not generally going to take a risk on a low major coach unless s/he has been unbelievable. MEAC and SWAC are pretty much the lowest of low majors. Those coaches would need to move to a mid major and be successful before they’d have a shot at a P5. The new coach at George Mason is on that path.

Sometimes you do take just that risk and are successful. There was a successful High School Coach in Oklahoma, only a coach for 6 years, who took over Oklahoma University's program and took them to the NCAA Championship game in 6 years. She impressed Geno while he was recruiting one of her high school players and he recommended her for the job. She got the job because she came in with a vision and a detailed plan on how to make their program successful. And she made it happen. See the link below for a great vintage Courant article.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Moving from an assistant to a head coaching job is a very hard transition and no guarantee for success. For every Jeff Walz out there you have countless very highly regarded assistants who have not been able to make the jump to head coach. Sometimes it can be the situation, sometimes people are better fits for assistants as opposed to head coaches.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Can some please explain to me what this thing called the "Staley effect" is. I've seen it now twice in this thread and in the U16 USA basketball someone @visitingcock ? Referred to it with regards to the number of players from SC that were invited to the trials. I'm genuinely curious.

Reaction Score
I will
Can some please explain to me what this thing called the "Staley effect" is. I've seen it now twice in this thread and in the U16 USA basketball someone @visitingcock ? Referred to it with regards to the number of players from SC that were invited to the trials. I'm genuinely curious.
I will answer. Staley is the coach of team USA. I asked the question in regards to influence, if any, she may have on selections to the U17 team. Question - not assertion.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom