The Spamalot Scrapple | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Spamalot Scrapple

Reaction Score
In the vein of gross breakfast type meats... There is a diner in my town that still sells SOS ( on a shingle or Chipped beef on toast) at breakfast. I've never seen anyone order it though.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
In the vein of gross breakfast type meats... There is a diner in my town that still sells SOS ( on a shingle or Chipped beef on toast) at breakfast. I've never seen anyone order it though.
The problem is the toast. Put that s#!t on a baked potato and you've really got something. Was a staple at my house when I was a kid and my Mom was on a budget.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Habbersetts Scrapple and Tastykakes were always brought back from a family visit to the area.

I had an uncle who had a Pepperidge Farm and Tastykate delivery route for several years when I was a kid. He come by the house a couple of times a week after deliveries were done and any leftovers or stuff he pulled off the shelf was fair game.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

This is all right in that Pennsylvania and rust belt cooking staple. Definitely ate that as a kid too. It's pretty simple- cream sacuce, throw in the chipped beef and serve over toast. I think it was a staple in military chow halls during WW2 and Korea.

Reaction Score
This is all right in that Pennsylvania and rust belt cooking staple. Definitely ate that as a kid too. It's pretty simple- cream sacuce, throw in the chipped beef and serve over toast. I think it was a staple in military chow halls during WW2 and Korea.
Used to have growing up. Father was a Korean War vet and wanted it. It all fine but don’t crave any of unless I want to bring back memories. I don’t find any of these unpalatable but they are all salty.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The problem is the toast. Put that s#!t on a baked potato and you've really got something. Was a staple at my house when I was a kid and my Mom was on a budget.
We would do leftover roast beef on toast and sometimes either leftover chicken or turkey on toast. I never thought of it as a budget stretcher, but I’m sure it was. I will still do that with leftovers from time to time. Easy meal with virtually no prep time.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Used to have growing up. Father was a Korean War vet and wanted it. It all fine but don’t crave any of unless I want to bring back memories. I don’t find any of these unpalatable but they are all salty.

The salting and the curing of the meats was one way to get protein out to the troops when refrigeration wasn't a given.

I don't even know if you could find chipped beef to buy from delis outside the northeast unless it's some kind of specialty store.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Hormels in a jar…

… my Dad used to mix it w/ cream of mushroom soup and ladle over Texas garlic toast.
That's the stuff! Jesus now I want some...

Gotta say as goofily as this thread has devolved just feels like the mood of the 'Yard has lightened 1000% since HCJM's arrival. Good to see.

ALSO: SOS should be on the tail gate menu if we ever play U. of Minnesota. Hormel Corp. HQ is in Austin, MN.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Having grown up in an Italian household, I first heard of spam when a commercial aired when a commercial for it aired in the mid 1970's (I'm 61, you can do the math on how old I was at the time) and had never heard of scrapple until after I entered the workforce as a college grad (nearly a decade later). I can say that I've never had either (I see this as neither good nor bad) but considering some of the things those of us from European descent have put on the dinner table, I would never look down on some other culture's food staples.

One reality is that many items that are today viewed as 'Haute Cuisine' began as peasant food.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
What until these people figure out what's in hot dogs, brauts, kielbasa and sausages? Same thing just without the casing.
Better still, I wonder how many know what "natural casing" really is?

I'm pretty confident that scrapple started as an attempt to make a (most likely German style) sausage with local ingredients (they didn't have corn meal in any part of what is now Germany until well after the Columbian exchange) and determined that it was better to make as a loaf (likely with additional breading) than to put in casings.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
What until these people figure out what's in hot dogs, brauts, kielbasa and sausages? Same thing just without the casing.
So true...I love chorizo..and bought Cacique brand chorizo. Here are the ingredients...

INGREDIENTS: PORK SALIVARY AND FAT, CHORIZO SEASONING (PAPRIKA, SALT, SPICES, MUSTARD, GARLIC POWDER), PORK, VINEGAR, SOY GRITS, SODIUM NITRITE.

I am sure everyone else uses salivary and just calls it pork....but...I can't eat Cacique chorizo now.

Reaction Score
So true...I love chorizo..and bought Cacique brand chorizo. Here are the ingredients...

INGREDIENTS: PORK SALIVARY AND FAT, CHORIZO SEASONING (PAPRIKA, SALT, SPICES, MUSTARD, GARLIC POWDER), PORK, VINEGAR, SOY GRITS, SODIUM NITRITE.

I am sure everyone else uses salivary and just calls it pork....but...I can't eat Cacique chorizo now.

There's something wrong with a Mohel explaining how he loves pork by products but it's not good for anyone.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Do a discussion on a new head coach filling out his staff turns into a conversation on (somewhat) faux meats.

Only on the Boneyard.
We hadn't discussed the staff much. I thought it turned into a filling out the roster thread.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I'm curious, when it comes to pork, what qualifies as "scraps" and what qualifies as "trimmings"?
Around my amateur smoke "pit," Both trimmings and scraps are what is left after butchering a cut of meat. Trimmings are edible (think of the flap on the back of spareribs). Scraps are not so appetizing in their "raw" form (e.g. pig skin on the thick fat cap of a Boston Butt...Also hooves, stomach linings, and ears.).

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Trash spam all you want.

We need to be promoting Taylor pork roll for all the NJ, PA and mid-Atlantic recruits. Throw down a slice or two on the griddle to brown it up and it's perfect for breakfast or lunch.
I lived in the Solomon Islands for a couple of years where the locals had a particular affinity for spam. With cannibalism not completely eradicated there until the 1930s, some believed that spam's popularity was based on its similarity to human flesh. Not many football recruits coming from Guadalcanal.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
No hijacking this thread! At no point did we discuss gross breakfast meats. We were talking about the delicious breakfast meat known as SPAM and the apparently tasty and regional Taylor pork roll.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I lived in the Solomon Islands for a couple of years where the locals had a particular affinity for spam. With cannibalism not completely eradicated there until the 1930s, some believed that spam's popularity was based on its similarity to human flesh. Not many football recruits coming from Guadalcanal.

Makes me glad my great uncle who served in WWII and was at Guadalcanal served in the Navy and didn't get to experience the local meat products.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Around my amateur smoke "pit," Both trimmings and scraps are what is left after butchering a cut of meat. Trimmings are edible (think of the flap on the back of spareribs). Scraps are not so appetizing in their "raw" form (e.g. pig skin on the thick fat cap of a Boston Butt...Also hooves, stomach linings, and ears.).

If I had to differentiate, scraps would be a combination of trimmings from all different areas of the animal. Trimmings would be the "leftovers" of individual portions of the animal.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Makes me glad my great uncle who served in WWII and was at Guadalcanal served in the Navy and didn't get to experience the local meat products.
Not half as glad as your great uncle, though serving in the navy there was no picnic. They call the waters between Guadalcanal and Isabel Iron Bottom Sound for a reason; and supposedly there was a shark population boom there in the 40's due to all the extra food in the water. I imagine sharks like spam too.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
If I had to differentiate, scraps would be a combination of trimmings from all different areas of the animal. Trimmings would be the "leftovers" of individual portions of the animal.
Makes sense. I think we are roughly on the same page.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom