The Sox are on Fire!! | The Boneyard

The Sox are on Fire!!

Reaction Score
It is time for me to apologize. I have been very critical of Dave Dombrowski and Hanley Ramirez. But as of now, I have to tip my hat to each of them. Dombrowski has put together a very solid deep team and hired a very good manager. Hanley is playing like he cares. I know they cannot keep winning at this pace but as of right now, they have perhaps the best starting pitching in baseball and an excellent offense. They are very fun to watch. I will be showing up at Fenway soon for the first time in over a year.

Reaction Score
“You can’t count on hitting grand slams every game, Mike! You can’t!” - There’s your main talking point for Felger and Mazz for the next week or so. That and their opposition was terrible or was playing bad when the Sox played them.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
After tonight's result, maybe the universe doesn't want you to be more optimistic after all . . .

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Doesn’t change the outcome (heck, the batter still got on base)or diminish that Manaea pitched a great game but...the error ruling on Leon’s shallow fly was homecooking. Look at this way, would that have been an infield fly in the context of that situation? I don’t think so. Running, turning over the shoulder plays aren’t routine. If he comes up with that it’d have been looked at as play that saved the no hitter.

Benny’s play is only slightly controversial because the umpire failed to call him out of the base path in the first place though.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Was very high on this team all winter. The pitching, with Price back, Kelly settling in as a dominant set up guy, Pomerantz coming off a strong season and Porcello due for a bounce back, is very strong. Hanley basically adopted a Tom Brady like fitness regimen and is in the best shape since his 20s. Benintendi is a guy on the way up, Bogaerts had an off year last year and Devers is an absolute future beast, all star level player. Betts is a star already. They have three good catchers, and a deep bench, with guys like Moreland and Holt. Team is just loaded.

Reaction Score
Cora is resting too many starters at the same time IMO. Sox are deep but not that deep.

Reaction Score
I've seen enough. 3 game losing streak, getting no hit. It's time #firecora

Reaction Score
Doesn’t change the outcome (heck, the batter still got on base)or diminish that Manaea pitched a great game but...the error ruling on Leon’s shallow fly was homecooking. Look at this way, would that have been an infield fly in the context of that situation? I don’t think so. Running, turning over the shoulder plays aren’t routine. If he comes up with that it’d have been looked at as play that saved the no hitter.

Benny’s play is only slightly controversial because the umpire failed to call him out of the base path in the first place though.
Unwritten rule: First hit has to be a clean one. Benetendi was out but SS play was a hit unless there is a no hitter on.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The Sox went 6-3 on a road trip that included a west coast swing. That's a great result.

Reaction Score
The Sox went 6-3 on a road trip that included a west coast swing. That's a great result.
Agreed but they are scuffling a bit now. They have lost 4 of 6 and Mookie, Benintendi, and Vazquez are not hitting much. Pomeranz is not looking good so far either. But count me as optimistic. This team is really good and will get better when Pedroia returns.

Reaction Score
Agreed but they are scuffling a bit now. They have lost 4 of 6 and Mookie, Benintendi, and Vazquez are not hitting much. Pomeranz is not looking good so far either. But count me as optimistic. This team is really good and will get better when Pedroia returns.

They've also run into their opponents best pitchers.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm Mr. Happy as a rule. But I thought Price was a gutless puss today. Yeah, JBJ made a very rare misplay. The bats got that back. I effort to give Price the benefit of the doubt, it's impossible.

Reaction Score
The Sox are showing signs that they are struggling a bit. I think its time to give Blake Swihart some starts behind the plate. Vazquez (.185) and Leon (.118) have become almost automatic outs and neither is playing that well defensively. I also think that JBJ (.188) should be used as a defensive replacement for J.D. Martinez for a while. He has dropped below the Mendoza line and does not take advantage of his speed enough. Giving Moreland more AB's could be a good thing. What do you think?

Reaction Score
I'm still mad at David Price.
Totally understand why you would be mad at David Price. He has been very inconsistent. We'll have to see how he fares against the Yankees. A solid outing would make you like him. Another bomb and he should be put in the pen for a while. I'm not optimistic about Pomeranz vs Severino tonight. Sale would have been a great match up. The statistics for the two teams are amazingly close.

Reaction Score
I have a feeling that the Yankees will take at least 2 of 3, and likely sweep this one. They are absolutely on fire right now, but like the Red Sox for the first month, there is no way they can keep up this pace.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Exciting series here with Boston and NY being the 2 best teams in the league atm.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I have a feeling that the Yankees will take at least 2 of 3, and likely sweep this one. They are absolutely on fire right now, but like the Red Sox for the first month, there is no way they can keep up this pace.
1 down. 2 to go for the sweep.

upload_2018-5-8_22-41-27.png

16 of last 17 won, too.

Reaction Score
1 down. 2 to go for the sweep.

View attachment 31283

16 of last 17 won, too.
Last time that happened was 1953. And like I said in the Yankees thread, Bird still not back, not much offensively from Gardner or Hicks yet, and only inconsistency from Stanton and Sanchez. They lead the league in runs scored, OPS, HRs, etc. and are running at about 75% of capacity.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom