The Solution Ready Set Shoot. | The Boneyard

The Solution Ready Set Shoot.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Its very obvious to me that we need to take better shots, shots we are confident we can make and when we do that it breeds confidence. I see KLS and CD taking shots while moving and not set. Their feet need to be set and their bodies square to the basket. We are rushing shots and taking them to fast and we've been doing it for a while. We need to get ready get set and shoot. If we dont have enough time for that then dont shoot it. If you watch the last two games how many open shots did our opponents have...wide open shots and they made a bunch of them. We didnt. For what ever reasons and there are many of them we are rushing out outside shots. If we dont have enough time to shoot then maybe a pump fake and them shoot with the hope of getting fouled and going to the line. I remember growing up that always worked. We need to change a few things up and imo that means slowing things down and getting back to basic fundamentals .

Reaction Score
I think that you are correct in your analysis. When I watch KLS, she is rushing her shot. In the past, she was more set and her ability to make a basket from distance was higher. Even their passing is now suspect as many times we have watched passes that have been intercepted and allowing the other team to score on a turnover. I think that their is a lot of anxiety out their to live up to the level of excellence that Geno has set and the achievements of previous teams. It must be a big burden on both Collier and Samuelson to carry this team and this weight only goes so far. When they played in the past, their was always 2 to 3 other players who were also threats on the floor. Good thoughts.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure Geno & Co are well aware of these issues......................sometimes the problems are more psychological which then leads to physical issues.......................basically some are trying too hard while others are shying away and not doing enough...........................it's up to the "vaunted" coaching staff to sort this out because if they can't game over.......................

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Much of these "analysis" threads/comments remind me WE have almost zero insight into the program. We see the players for 40 minutes twice a week and we think we know something.

Last year the conventional knowledge of The Boneyard was Azura could not shoot threes and therefore should not be shooting threes during games. Then in one of the interview videos (maybe of Geno ,maybe of some other player - I don't remember) we get to see Z in the background shooting threes. I think she made 8 in a row. Then she proceeds into the WNBA and all of the sudden they go in again. Sometimes you just miss.

In one of the very recent videos, Lou was in the background and sank 4 in a row (the only 4 that I saw her shoot). Apparently Lou's shots from behind the arc are going in in practice. Sometimes you just miss. If she was missing in practice, I'm pretty sure she wouldn't be taking them in the games.

Reaction Score
Here he comes to save the day. Mighty Geno is on the way!

If you are over 75 and remember Saturday morning movies at the neighborhood theater, you would know this. Geno is on the way. We will see a change.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Lou does another thing which I'd never seen her do before this season. Before she shoots a 3 she frequently spins the ball in her hands before she sets and shoots. Shooters are funny animals. Little things throw their timing and rhythm off during games, things that don't show during practice or warms ups. Shooting is all about repetition and muscle memory. As I said previously, last year because of her ankle she had to alter her launch and her landings. In many ways she has had to re-learn much about her shot. Give her time y'all, it'll come.

Reaction Score
Lou does another thing which I'd never seen her do before this season. Before she shoots a 3 she frequently spins the ball in her hands before she sets and shoots. Shooters are funny animals. Little things throw their timing and rhythm off during games, things that don't show during practice or warms ups. Shooting is all about repetition and muscle memory. As I said previously, last year because of her ankle she had to alter her launch and her landings. In many ways she has had to re-learn much about her shot. Give her time y'all, it'll come.

it was there earlier in the season...........................it left..............

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure Geno & Co are well aware of these issues.......sometimes the problems are more psychological which then leads to physical issues........basically some are trying too hard while others are shying away and not doing enough.......it's up to the "vaunted" coaching staff to sort this out because if they can't game over........
Most are forgetting that those "rushed" shot came about because of hectic and aggressive defenders. It is easy in practice stand there, catch the ball, look at the basket, hold the ball correctly, square yourself up, shoot and follow through--and even then there are misses. The team was in a place it had not been in for a very very long time, and uncomfortable place, --and yes things get rushed, it isn't perfection, passes go bad, you are no longer playing the game you were trained to do. Humans are not perfect--not robots--get anxiety attacks under uncertain conditions. Be grateful they won at cinci and were not run into the ground at Louisville.

Reaction Score
Its very obvious to me that we need to take better shots, shots we are confident we can make and when we do that it breeds confidence.

I disagree. I am a big proponent of taking the most difficult shots possible. I know the coaches feel the same way.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom