The single worst offense | The Boneyard

The single worst offense

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fortebleedsblue

I've ever seen UConn play ever. Now I know why Edsall ran out while he could. There is nothing to work with.... The defense overall looked phenomenal. You really can't ask for more. When I see some of us wishing we had Fraser back something is seriously wrong. Some on here will say its going to take time .... we have a new coach and are learning a new system. What from this offense gives any of you hope that things will turn around?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
if were going to take bumps/learning/etc this year. we do it with nebrich, why the would we do it with diick shot mac is beyond me. if were building for the future than do it. chesus christ.

F

fortebleedsblue

Worst offense ever. UConn football doesnt look very bright to me. There is nothing I saw that leads me to believe things will improve or turn around... Unless the defense can win every game for us.

Reaction Score
No offensive playmakers or if there are any, we can't get the ball to them. McCombs goes down to easy with anything that brushes his legs. Runs well if there is space.

Reaction Score
No offensive playmakers or if there are any, we can't get the ball to them. McCombs goes down to easy with anything that brushes his legs. Runs well if there is space.

I gotta disagree, I thought McCombs showed us something tonight going against an SEC defense (even if it was Vandy). He looked great in the first half and the first couple of series of the second half. I fault the coaches for running him into the ground with 25+ carries at his size. If used properly, he really could be a weapon but he's not an every down back yet (just like Todman when he split time with Dixon).

Where the heck was Shoemate tonight? How do you not put him in the second half with the lead to grind it out, even if his ankle is only 90%?

Reaction Score
Forte is in mid season form. By the way. Our passing game is horrible, not our offense. Our running game is just fine.

Reaction Score
I gotta disagree, I thought McCombs showed us something tonight going against an SEC defense (even if it was Vandy). He looked great in the first half and the first couple of series of the second half. I fault the coaches for running him into the ground with 25+ carries at his size. If used properly, he really could be a weapon but he's not an every down back yet (just like Todman when he split time with Dixon).

Where the heck was Shoemate tonight? How do you not put him in the second half with the lead to grind it out, even if his ankle is only 90%?

McCombs is really shifty but when anyone touches him goes down like he was shot with a 12 gauge. I mean that first drive my sister could have run for 10 yards a pop LOL.

He seems like he should get 10-15 touches a game when the defense is tired/as a change of pace to a bruiser>that is where DJ Shoemate should come in but who knows whats going on there.

Reaction Score
SHOMATE would've leaned on that defense in the second half! mccombs very shifty big heart, not a bruiser gotta use him correct! i will take my chances with nebrich' brings a dual threat to the table, gotta play him.
casey cochran could've played last night.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Enough already with Shoemate! ENOUGH! HE WASN'T GOOD ENOUGH TO BE MORE THAN A FULLBACK AT USC!!!!!

He can help, but this OBSESSION people have with him, when they're running the ball fine with McCombs, is baffling to me.

Reaction Score
Come in off the ledge. Uconn's 3 QBs had never taken a snap on the road before. If you don't think that's not a big deal, you are mistaken. Be disappointed in the line which couldn't seem to handle Vandy's blitz package. No wonder McEntee was throwing off his back foot all night. The D was good for the most part because they are an experienced group. Although the sluggish start can't happen again. The O couldn't stay on the field to give them rest in the 4th. Plus the D scores twice and they have to get right back on the field. They looked tired late in the game.

Reaction Score
Enough already with Shoemate! ENOUGH! HE WASN'T GOOD ENOUGH TO BE MORE THAN A FULLBACK AT USC!!!!!

He can help, but this OBSESSION people have with him, when they're running the ball fine with McCombs, is baffling to me.

You need to run somebody other than your 175 lb. freshman 27 times a game and it's obvious that JJL is not a BCS level back. Where does that leave us?

zls44

Reaction Score
You need to run somebody other than your 175 lb. freshman 27 times a game and it's obvious that JJL is not a BCS level back. Where does that leave us?

Nebrich/McCummings, speed option. It's what the group of them know the best.

Reaction Score
Come in off the ledge. Uconn's 3 QBs had never taken a snap on the road before. If you don't think that's not a big deal, you are mistaken. Be disappointed in the line which couldn't seem to handle Vandy's blitz package. No wonder McEntee was throwing off his back foot all night. The D was good for the most part because they are an experienced group. Although the sluggish start can't happen again. The O couldn't stay on the field to give them rest in the 4th. Plus the D scores twice and they have to get right back on the field. They looked tired late in the game.

+1 thinking same

Reaction Score
That was an SEC defense. But it wasnt an honest SEC defense. Come on!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Agree on a second back, any second back, because McCombs will wear out pretty quickly at his size if he is getting 25+ carried a game.

Reaction Score
McCombs tripped over his own feet running to the sideline. The kid is okay, but he goes down from the breeze of an oncoming player. Vandy decided to go all out on getting to the QB because they knew all they had to do was get a hand on McCombs and he would be tackled.

He runs great when he gets through the hole untouched, but you can see him wear down as the game progresses. I like the kid, but we are going to be in trouble offensively if we are going lean on him like we have on past running backs.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
a

Are you serious? Like it's some sort of major indictment to not be good enough to get on the field at one of the countries best programs? I'm sure there are a lot of backups at SC that would start for a lot of Big East teams.

Nobody is saying McCombs isn't good, or that he was having anything but a fine game. At some point when you're a 5'8" freshman you're going to get worn out. How can Shoemate not even get 1 carry!?

Reaction Score

Where does it leave us? It leaves us without a lot of options. Whenever anyone get's frustrated, they always second guess the coach. As someone said above, we have three highly inexperienced QBs, one a rs, one a true, and one a walk on. And a tiny little 167 pound rs running back. DJ has an injury, decision made not to play him. No playmakers at wide out. It is what it looks like. As Dennis Green said, "They are who we thought they were." I like that phrase.

zls44

Reaction Score
a

Are you serious? Like it's some sort of major indictment to not be good enough to get on the field at one of the countries best programs? I'm sure there are a lot of backups at SC that would start for a lot of Big East teams.

Nobody is saying McCombs isn't good, or that he was having anything but a fine game. At some point when you're a 5'8" freshman you're going to get worn out. How can Shoemate not even get 1 carry!?

Why do you assume that when he gets 1 carry he's going to change everything?!?!? They're already running the ball.

Reaction Score
................. but we are going to be in trouble offensively if we are going lean on him like we have on past running backs.

Yes we are. We are already in trouble. Not "going to be." "Are." LOL. It's a rebuilding year. Todman gone. Robbie Frey gone. No experience at QB. Rebuilding.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Why do you assume that when he gets 1 carry he's going to change everything?!?!? They're already running the ball.

Could you be anymore dense? Everyone here is saying McCombs was doing a great job. That doesn't change the fact he is 5'8" and a freshman. Do you really want to run him into the ground Week 2 of the season?

Reaction Score
Vandy will give up 63 to teams like 'Bama if they played 4 quarters.

Vandy is not good. UConn is just awful. UConn consistently recruits at the bottom of all BCS teams and this probably shows up more in skill positions than anywhere.

We'll see if PP can change this as that was the supposed reason he was hired.

S

storrsbred1

McCombs often chooses the wrong hole. More than several times he left yardage on the field. He goes down easily and at 165lbs (if that--don't believe the program weight) will get pounded by better competition.

If UConn doesn't have another option to run with they are in big trouble this season because the QB's aren't going to carry this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom