The sad state of BC hoops | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The sad state of BC hoops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I enjoy seeing Boston College lose basketball games.

I do not enjoy seeing Boston College players heartbroken on television. He seemed like a nice kid and that was really a crushing moment - feel very bad for the kid.

Related note - I am clearly a kinder and better person than a lot of you. If that doesn't scare you, I don't know what will.

Reaction Score

I do not enjoy seeing Boston College players heartbroken on television. He seemed like a nice kid and that was really a crushing moment - feel very bad for the kid.

Related note - I am clearly a kinder and better person than a lot of you. If that doesn't scare you, I don't know what will.
Did you know killer whales eat sharks?

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score

you have time to defend both Boeheim and BCU players?

A freakin' mother Theresa.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score

Between this post and the (understandable) Boeheim post, you've gone soft.

Reaction Score
That's just sad. For as much as I hate programs like BC, Duke, and Syracuse, I'll always feel for the actual players. It must be gut-wrenching to have something you pour your heart and soul into reduced to a punchline. I wish him success professionally.

This exactly! I do feel sorry for that young man. For the institution and its fanbase -- not so much.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The "kid" is going to be fine. I don't revel in his misery, I'm apathetic about it. I was on a little league team that didn't win a game when I was nine, I didn't get a pity party. I was reminded of it for years, by my friends.

Reaction Score
Honestly, how do you thread that needle?

I don't see it as being that hard. Don't get me wrong -- I wanted BC to end the year on a 19 game losing streak. That doesn't mean I can't show empathy after the fact for that young man. Why is that harder than wanting to defeat ISIS and at the same time feeling sorry for neighbors who aren't terrorists who are being killed and economically destroyed by the war?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I don't see it as being that hard. Don't get me wrong -- I wanted BC to end the year on a 19 game losing streak. That doesn't mean I can't show empathy after the fact for that young man.
That your wish came true is the cause of his anguish. Showing empathy reeks of wanting both ways to me. Nobody died, or got hurt, or ripped off. He just lost a bunch of games.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
The "kid" is going to be fine. I don't revel in his misery, I'm apathetic about it. I was on a little league team that didn't win a game when I was nine, I didn't get a pity party. I was reminded of it for years, by my friends.
Lost a playoff little league game that was called for darkness with 2 outs in the bottom of the last inning and runners on base. That was the one time I cried after a game, bawled the whole way home. It was criminal.

Years later I would go to UConn and become very close friends with someone from that team... And he still busts my stones about the outcome to this day.

Reaction Score
I could care less for the kids honestly. They get a free ride to what is a great school, which most people don't.

If winning was so important to them go somewhere else, even a lower level. Also, determine the other talent in the program and whether you can compete in a tough league.

You know you can root against BC and have animus for their administrators yet still have empathy for kids that play basketball there.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Damn, my U10 basketball team lost the regional basketball championship game last night and looked better than this guy...

the kids are always fine, it's the coaches and parents that hurt

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
BC is the biggest wannabe in the history of wannabe's

they actually believe they're relevant in football, at least we know our place

Reaction Score
The BC kid will end up fine. Ten years from now he'll have a normal life and this year of BC basketball will be a distant memory. He was sad in the final moments of his BC career but it will not be a forever life changing event.

However, it is the visual of the kid crying and heartbroken which may further damage the state of the BC program. Ten years from now fans will still remember a BC player crying and saying the best part of his BC career was going out to eat. Perhaps some future recruit won't come to BC when he remembers that image. Can you imagine a big time player with options this year wanting to play at BC after seeing that video?

BC tried to destroy the UConn program. If seeing a seemingly good kid cry on TV helps further damage BC's already embarrassing reputation then it is a necessary evil.

To quote Johnny Cash "this world is rough and if a man is gonna make it he's gotta be tough." Watching BC players cry is part of the tough.

Reaction Score
We have all seen behind the curtain. We know what BC brings to the table.

That we know what they are and still have to feel compassion for them is rediculous. This kid is collateral damage - a cautionary tale for those that think BC is a viable alternative if you hope to be considered winners in any team sport.

Reaction Score
The BC kid will end up fine. Ten years from now he'll have a normal life and this year of BC basketball will be a distant memory. He was sad in the final moments of his BC career but it will not be a forever life changing event.

However, it is the visual of the kid crying and heartbroken which may further damage the state of the BC program. Ten years from now fans will still remember a BC player crying and saying the best part of his BC career was going out to eat. Perhaps some future recruit won't come to BC when he remembers that image. Can you imagine a big time player with options this year wanting to play at BC after seeing that video?

BC tried to destroy the UConn program. If seeing a seemingly good kid cry on TV helps further damage BC's already embarrassing reputation then it is a necessary evil.

To quote Johnny Cash "this world is rough and if a man is gonna make it he's gotta be tough." Watching BC players cry is part of the tough.

I ran this excellent post through Google Translate and it came back with:

em where they live.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
You know you can root against BC and have animus for their administrators yet still have empathy for kids that play basketball there.
You can't feel too bad for the kids. They did choose BC so they should have expected mediocrity.

Reaction Score
Exactly, it wasn't like they went into the season with expectations to compete for a conference title. They could have transferred in the offseason if they were so intent on going to a winning situation.

You can't feel too bad for the kids. They did choose BC so they should have expected mediocrity.

Reaction Score
And if he's like every other BC grad I've ever met in 10 years he'll be a total .

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Kid chose BC. You pick a program and you sign up for all that goes with it....good and bad. I won't laugh at the young man, but I won't cry for him either. As for his institution of higher learning, with all due respect, screw them!
Agree 100%. I don't like BC. I don't like a certain subset of their fans. I have friends and coworkers who are BC alums, I have no issues with them. I want BC to continue to lose every game. I don't care if kids pick BC, but I hope it goes horribly for them from an athletic perspective. The difference between the ACC and the AAC is what, about 20 million annually (TV and bowl contracts)? So over 5 years, BC may have cost our university at least 100 million dollars. It's too bad that the kid is crying, but he's crying because he made a horrible choice to attend that school from a basketball context. I'm sure he'll be just fine as a young professional.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
This exactly! I do feel sorry for that young man. For the institution and its fanbase -- not so much.

They only have one fan, so it's not like there's any real win there. All administration for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom