The SA Stars: Sorta Funny | The Boneyard

The SA Stars: Sorta Funny

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Just don't know if it is funny funny or funny peculiar or both! Refreshing to have a spots article ask some honest questions about this tangled situation.

" It isn’t that the Stars are struggling to integrate Kelsey Plum into the offense alongside Jefferson and McBride. It’s that they haven’t even tried, and no one can figure out why that is.

The Stars repeatedly declined to make Johnson or general manager Ruth Riley available for interviews on the subject, instead sending an emailed statement from Johnson Wednesday afternoon....

The Stars then said The Summitt could email a question for Riley to answer, and after receiving it, declined to answer this: “You have said you expect Kelsey, Moriah and Kayla can co-exist but the three have yet to play any meaningful minutes together. Why is that? Has your opinion about building around them changed? How much more do they need to play together to properly evaluate them as a trio? And do you have reason to believe that will happen this season?”

It is a remarkable turn of events for both a coach and general manager to refuse to answer basic questions about lineups or the usage of a top overall draft pick less than halfway into that pick’s first professional season.

The San Antonio Stars aren’t answering the Kelsey Plum questions

Reaction Score
Just one person's opinion, but I don't think Plum has shown enough to get meaningful minutes. I think she will do fine, but I'll bet they expected her to adjust quicker than she has. One thing one would certainly expect would be that she would shoot well. But she hasn't even done that.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Earlier this month Kelsey said some perhaps too candid things.

With the Stars, Plum is adapting to a traditional pass-first role as a point guard, which might explain why she is shooting 37.5 percent (3 of 8) on three-pointers and 2 of 4 on free throws.

“In college, every single play was ran for me,” Plum said. “And I was super aggressive. I was always attacking. In this case, I’m a point guard. I’m running the offense and getting my team involved. It’s just a different role.

“In college, I could just put my head down and go get fouled. In the pros, there are four other players that are really good with you and you got to make sure everyone is on the same page.” Storm head to San Antonio, where Kelsey Plum has struggled to adjust to WNBA play

A point guard she wasn't. A point guard she isn't. And it is dang hard to become one as a rookie in the WNBA. Darn weird situation going on down there.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
As a Plum fan, I have to hope for her sake she can get out of SA soon. The single facet of her game she's always been best at is scoring....so they draft her #1 overall and then ask her to not do that? That doesn't seem very smart to me.

Yeah, the GM and coach refusing to answer questions seems bizarre. Appears to be a trainwreck of a franchise at this point. But at least they've gotten off to a 1-14 start this season...

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
The San Antonio Stars is an interesting organization. Peter Holt is the owner as far as I can tell. He and his wife are majority owners of the San Antonio Spurs ... I believe. Two more polar opposites you cannot find - Spurs, great and Stars, terrible. He has a hands off style with the Spurs and lets management ... well ... manage. Apparently he does the same with the Stars which may be a mistake. He needs to reassess the Stars' Management from top to bottom. Dan Hughes was the GM and head coach through 2016. His WNBA coaching record is 237- 287 45%. Since Vickie Johnson joined the Stars for the 2011 season, Hughes and the Stars' W/L % is 40%. Ruth Riley per my quick research never held a business management position let alone a GM position. So the Stars hire a business neophyte and promote an assistant coach (not an assistant head coach?) whose WNBA experience is losing while learning to be a head coach from at best a mediocre head coach. Perhaps there is no reason to shake our heads at the Stars' situation. It should be expected. I don't expect anything good to happen which bothers the bejeebers out of me because of Jefferson. She is so good and I don't believe Johnson has a clue how to use her or Plum or perhaps the entire team. I can't get upset with Johnson. Who is going to pass on the opportunity to be head coach. Heck, even Geno admitted he was winging his UCONN interview without any real plan other than ... Dude, I need that Dailey gal!!!!!!! ;)

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
As a Plum fan, I have to hope for her sake she can get out of SA soon. The single facet of her game she's always been best at is scoring....so they draft her #1 overall and then ask her to not do that? That doesn't seem very smart to me.

Yeah, the GM and coach refusing to answer questions seems bizarre. Appears to be a trainwreck of a franchise at this point. But at least they've gotten off to a 1-14 start this season...

She was a scorer in college, as was Banham. Now they're both better suited as non-#1 option PG's.... at least until they get more experience in the league. If Plum does the work needed, as Vandersloot and Diggins had to do, she should be okay. Fans of Plum seem to think she should annoited instead of earning her way at this level.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I've posted a few times on what I consider mismanagement of the Stars. The building of a team is not simple and at the moment I don't have a lot of confidence in coach or GM and I am not sure they are really on the same page with each other. Reports of the coach not wanting Plum and the GM failing to pull the trigger on trades with a few teams that really did want her suggest a dysfunctional relationship.

I agree that I really hope they figure it out because Moriah deserves a better team around her.

Reaction Score
They needed to get a dominant center which could have been Brianna Lewis maybe not right off the bat but in the next year or two. I think she could be as good as Fowles but with a deadlier inside hook shot.

I do think Isabella and DeSousa did a good job in the last game so maybe they can get by with them.

I don't think they should be trying to make Plum a point guard with Moriah on the same team. That doesn't make sense. I was wondering where Currie was but saw that they had traded her. I didn't watch the SA-Minny game cause I knew SA didn't have a chance so I didn't see the announcement about the trade. I think their plan is to get Plum playing time this season. They need to dump the plans to try to make her a point guard. Moriah can get her the ball and take advantage of her scoring ability.

Reaction Score
im thinking ticket sales was a the driving force on signing Plum. To be successful she may have to pick up her speed, learn to use her right hand better amongst other things. I for one have said, and still maintain, that the Stars shouldn't have drafted her. #1 or not.
Im almost wishing they would trade Moriah, instead of making her to her live in the basketball mire that seems to be in the SA org.. just my opinion. Sorry.

Reaction Score
I don't Plum is adapting well to the WNBA. Jefferson is scoring well and she makes her free throws as a point guard. She also has a decent assist number. Plum is also supposed to be a point guard and should be able to do the same. She missed free throws and her shooting percentage is quite low. What is the difference? In college she expected the ball and she was the offense. In the WNBA, she is 1/5 of the team and the ball is not coming back to her all the time, other players can score as well if not better. She is having a hard time adapting and it shows. She also has to learn plays that are not designed for her only uniquely but for everyone. She will be ok once she adjusts. She might not.

So many highly drafted WNBA players disappeared after couple of seasons and are still around because of their college reputation only. I can name half a dozen.

But once Plum plays overseas where she is expected to dominate again because she would be the highest paid player on the team, she will do well. Jmho.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Kelsey will not end up as an elite superstar in the WNBA. Perhaps an All Star in some years, but not a consistent one. Great College Player in a system designed for her to break scoring records. Although their style of play is different, Kelsey reminds me of Shoni Schimmel who also had a great college career but has produced little in the WNBA compared to her college stats. Closer to home, you could compare Kelsey to KML Time will tell.

What's sad for the Stars is the longer Kelsey is on their roster, the less value they will receive if they trade her. Would Seattle and the Stars do a trade with KML and a pick going to the Stars for Kelsey?

Reaction Score
Why would Seattle do that? I don't see it.

I agree. Seattle has enough scorers who can share the ball. And KLM is part of that when she is healthy. The only thing Plum can bring there is attendance. Sure there would be a spike at the beginning but her fans will stop coming after a while. Seattle has done very well with what they currently have except for some real post presence. I guess you think they would sit Sue and let Plum hawk the ball while Stewart and Loyd watch ?

Reaction Score
There is a good bit of anti Kelsey Plum talk on this board. Reminds me of what was said here about Aja Wilson before SC won the title. Plum has started slowly and I'm not predicting she will ever be a superstar. However, she had an outstanding college career and is a better player than she has shown so far.

SA should not try to make her a point guard. Mo Jeff is one of the best in the game at that position and I think SA could get a solid 3 guard lineup going with her, Plum and McBride. Yes SA needs forwards and perhaps should move another player or two to get one or two who are serviceable. SA and Chicago appear destined for the lottery once again. Next year appears to have an overall stronger class.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think a straight up trade of Plum for KML might work for both teams - Seattle needs someone behind Sue and I think the two could really help each other - Sue getting more rest and Kelsey benefiting with picking Sues brain.

The problem with playing Plum and Moriah at the same time is players like DT and Clark are going to take them inside and post them up. Adding McBride to that mix as the wing makes for a very short team on the floor with 5'6", 5'8", and 5'11" with Moriah at 5'6" the only one know for her elevation off the floor. In college you can survive with short lineups because zone defenses are permitted, in the W with the defensive three seconds ...

Reaction Score
Moriah is already one of the best point guards in WBB. Name one who is better than her?

SA should take advantage of a great scorer and couple her with Moriah to make the SA offense a great scoring machine.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Can anyone explain the Currie trade to me? She was having a really good year and has expanded her game considerably. Yes, she's in her 12th year, but playing really well. They got Murphy coming off injuries and Brunner, about whom I know nothing. Also got a 2018 3rd round pick, rarely worth more than the paper it's written on. How does this make SAS better?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Can anyone explain the Currie trade to me? She was having a really good year and has expanded her game considerably. Yes, she's in her 12th year, but playing really well. They got Murphy coming off injuries and Brunner, about whom I know nothing. Also got a 2018 3rd round pick, rarely worth more than the paper it's written on. How does this make SAS better?
No clue - seems like a couple of warm bodies and likely a camp body with the third round pick for a pretty decent vet. Again, don't understand the 'team building process' SA is following.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
With absolutely no "proof" I suspect Monique demanded out. Nothing else makes sense to me. The trade is obliquely referenced, but nothing in her Twitter feed suggests any surprise on her part.

Reaction Score
No clue - seems like a couple of warm bodies and likely a camp body with the third round pick for a pretty decent vet. Again, don't understand the 'team building process' SA is following.

Phoenix is a mature (aging?) team in position to make the playoffs this year. Monique Curry, a veteran playing very well, can help the Mercury this year. San Antonio is a very young team in position for nothing this year other than preparing to have another lottery pick next year. Look at the stats from the Chicago @ San Antonio game: the first game after the trade and the first win for San Antonio this season. San Antonio can go full out developing and experimenting with its young players. With Curry gone, both Kelsey Plum and Nia Coffey played more minutes. Plum played with and without Jefferson on the floor. Both Curry and Coffey had some nice minutes, at least offensively. My understanding is that Curry had only a one year contract so getting anything for her was good. Who knows what may happen with next year's third round pick. Every now and again a team is both smart and lucky, say Dallas Wings in 2017?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
With absolutely no "proof" I suspect Monique demanded out. Nothing else makes sense to me. The trade is obliquely referenced, but nothing in her Twitter feed suggests any surprise on her part.
That's speculation, but it makes sense to me.

Reaction Score
Kelsey will not end up as an elite superstar in the WNBA. Perhaps an All Star in some years, but not a consistent one. Great College Player in a system designed for her to break scoring records. Although their style of play is different, Kelsey reminds me of Shoni Schimmel who also had a great college career but has produced little in the WNBA compared to her college stats. Closer to home, you could compare Kelsey to KML Time will tell.

What's sad for the Stars is the longer Kelsey is on their roster, the less value they will receive if they trade her. Would Seattle and the Stars do a trade with KML and a pick going to the Stars for Kelsey?

Kelsey doesn't have the weight problem that Shoni has. Her attitude seems to be better as well. Kelsey just has to adjust her game to playing against the best women BB players in the world. She'll be OK in the long run.

SA should pick up Jen Hamson to shore up their front line and salvage the season. They're not out of it yet.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom